🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If you saw the trucks in question work for one storm out of the hundreds they’ve seen it would give you a whole new level of respect for GMT-800 2500HD’s lol.

I can also say that two of those trucks are close to 200k and have probably towed a 14’ Cronkite trailer with a skid steer at least 100,000 of those. They are Amazingly tough.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It’s just a convenient thing honestly. When I pieced that setup together for my Tahoe it was to do my parents, grandma and a few family friends driveways that I shoveled prior. Had experience plowing but never my own truck at that time. After that I started getting my own accounts. I’m not a dickhead when I’m plowing but I’m not easy on stuff either. I’ve never broken anything on a truck due to plowing.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They are some tough fucking trucks man lol. Next time I’m at the yard I’ll get pictures of some of these atrocities. Just mangled victory red and rust :rofl:

of course they are, im king gmt800 :nutz:...

just because something's tough though doesn't make it a solid reason to beat on it from a recreational point of view :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes, it's matter of convenience. While I get plowing is hard on the truck, I'm also not abusing it like a commercial plower. I'm not slamming it in to curbs and other obstacles and generally plow very slowly. I don't jam it between gears while the truck is still moving as I'm going back and forth, and of course I am constantly maintaining the truck. I purposely wanted, and got a 3/4 tonner for the purpose of using it.

With that said, I'm about 7/8ths of the way through adjusting the plow. I cut off the stubborn bolts last night (5 I think in total) with the Sawzall, and have it all loosely reassembled. Western spec'd a 2" carriage bolt for the plate. The local Lowes and Menards, the shortest they had in the spec needed was 4". So I didn't think much of it and got them. Well, I realized why now. The two top carriage bolts, at 4" won't clear the plow horns as I insert them... :D

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
of course they are, im king gmt800 :nutz:...

just because something's tough though doesn't make it a solid reason to beat on it from a recreational point of view :rofl:

To me it’s no different than avoiding getting a 12,000# Recreational camper or boat because you don’t want to tow it with your HD truck lol

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It's all back together. It actually went back together so much easier than expected. When you do this, you have the tower assembly and the A-Frame separate, holding the two in position while you get the pivot pins in and connecting both pieces before bolting the pivot plate in to place, was where I was fretting it being a pain. It all went together easy/peasy.

So just statically sitting there on the stands, it sits 3" higher than before.

20201210_210308.jpg

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Hopefully that’s enough to get it up off the ground when on. When’s it going on?

I had about an inch to begin with, plus three for this, add another inch for when I add the ballast in back puts me around 5" (that's what she said), which is right about where I was with the old truck. Oh and then maybe another half inch for the bigger tires I will be putting on.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
February 12th 2021, first snow of the season or chicagoland. 3-5 inches. melts 3 days later when it's 52* and sunny.

giphy.gif
Yea....I don’t even bother shoveling these days. We have a company that does the neighborhoods sidewalks and that’s it. Doesn’t stick around long enough to waste my energy.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Success.

Mounted the plow today. With no ballast in the back, the current tires, and the bump stops not yet installed (I didn't get to that today), I have 5.5" of clearance. I did have to readjust my lift chains though. :D

Driving it around to test, going over train tracks, bad roads, elevation changes (like going in/out of the alley for example), there is a lot more suspension control with the weight on it vs. the other truck. And again, this with no ballast in the back to help.

20201212_144905.jpg

20201212_144931.jpg

Thread Info