🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

View attachment 66834

View attachment 66835

View attachment 66836

View attachment 66837

View attachment 66838

View attachment 66839

View attachment 66840

View attachment 66841

View attachment 66842
Utah? Road trip, man!

that’ll do what 12-14mpg highway?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Perfect for duramax swap

There was a killer looking one down in Florida, LS 8.1, with the newer 2500HD 5-spoke wheels, HD hood and a few other things, that the owner had an LB7 he was selling with it. He was gonna do the swap for himself but decided to go another route. When you posted that Duraburb last week, I got a stiffy.

Right. I think on a good day, my '02 with the 8.1 on the highway, wife driving it, in a tailwind *maybe* got 12mpg. :D

Reactions: Yaj Yak

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Congrats! What trans is in those? Trucks are Allison’s and avalanche is a 4l80 I believe.

Yep, 4L80E. The trans tunnel on the burbs isn't tall enough to accommodate the Allison.

A week? Drive faster.

I was gonna stop and see you. And pick up those manifolds. :D

Seriously though, it would end up being the whole family, and we'd want to do some sight seeing. So I was factoring that in.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I won't be doing much to it other than bolt-on's.

First thing I will do once I get it, is get the truck side stuff on it for the plow (the frame mount and all electronics). It could also use some new tires, which of course, I will go a little bigger.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just looking up vids to install the Ultramount truck side frame and these 800's are a fuck ton easier than the 400's I remember having to drill holes in the side of the frame on mine to secure the front portion of the mount.

These just use the tow hook mount point (keeping the tow hooks BTW... I had to remove those on the '99), and then one big bolt on the underside of the frame.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So they're not just replacing 1 mirror like they initially told me, rather both. They were waiting on them to come in (they were the extended mirrors on this truck), and just got them on the truck today. So it's been detailed, mirrors put on, just waiting on the shipping company.

Thread Info