The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
20231028_083014.jpg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Final pic (looks the same as before I guess lol). The recipe I used ended up relatively bland, but I also used store-bought chili seasoning vs. the seasoning those people sell. So maybe that was part of it. I doctored it up with some soy sauce, brown sugar, and a little extra chili powder. Served it over some buttered macaroni noodles.

Pretty good smoke flavor to it after 3.5ish hours on the Masterbuilt gravity smoker.

1698627017936.png

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Final pic (looks the same as before I guess lol). The recipe I used ended up relatively bland, but I also used store-bought chili seasoning vs. the seasoning those people sell. So maybe that was part of it. I doctored it up with some soy sauce, brown sugar, and a little extra chili powder. Served it over some buttered macaroni noodles.

Pretty good smoke flavor to it after 3.5ish hours on the Masterbuilt gravity smoker.

View attachment 183811
IMG_6857.jpeg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I think simmering it on the smoker for nearly 4 hours really helped. It cooked off some of the extra moisture from the tomatoes/etc and thickened it up.

I did this recipe, but with just 3 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef and didn't add the chipotles it calls for. I also used 2 packets of McCormick chili seasoning instead of their proprietary seasoning they sell. Plus I added the soy sauce(didn't have any W sauce), brown sugar, and a little extra chili powder.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Yeah I'd love to add sausage but my wife won't eat pork (she probably wouldn't even notice it).

Next time I want to smoke a chuck roast and add chunks of that.
When I make chili I use beef stew meat or chuck roast cut into cubes, sear the meat and let it cook down. My wife never ate chili until I started using that method. Also not as greasy one could say compared to ground beef.

My go to spices over the years has been carol Shelby chili mix.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Made chili again. This time 1 lb ground chuck, 1 lb breakfast sausage, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans. Thanks to the suggestion of using breakfast sausage, I really like it. I plan to always make it with half b'fast sausage meat, this was my all time favorite.

I still want to try making it with brisket but I don'ts gotz time to make a brisket... sigh

IMG_6888.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info