• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical 04 Tahoe - Lower Oil Pressure

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The dash gauge tends to be within 3-4 PSI of the sender readout based on my experience. My truck was doing some wonky things during the winter so I had my monitor hooked up for a while. I gave it synthetic 5w-30 and a 1/2 qt of synthetic Lucas. I had low pressure when cold and erratic pressure when warm. Changed back to conventional 5-30 and it’s been fine since back to the numbers I showed in those pictures.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The dash gauge tends to be within 3-4 PSI of the sender readout based on my experience. My truck was doing some wonky things during the winter so I had my monitor hooked up for a while. I gave it synthetic 5w-30 and a 1/2 qt of synthetic Lucas. I had low pressure when cold and erratic pressure when warm. Changed back to conventional 5-30 and it’s been fine since back to the numbers I showed in those pictures.

if.. the gauge.. is right.

as seen in the photo above, me doing 135 mph yesterday. gmt800 clusters love to be wonky.

as Bru Bru said. mechanical gauge only way to be sure.

• Haha
Reactions: EmersonHart13

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m still of the opinion that they’re old trucks powered by 5.3’s that don’t die easily.

Run OKish oil, change every 4k, put a picture of your dog over the oil pressure gauge and send it.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jon01

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
all steps PANDA PANDA also hasn't taken

but he should just keep changing the oil instead of looking into other issues.

Actually the cluster was rebuilt probably a year ago by B&B in McHenry when I had numerous light bulbs out and a "slow" speedometer. So I feel with a rebuilt cluster and a newer GM oil pressure sensor /switch the oil pressure reading should be a bit more accurate than the +-30 psi you claim. Yes 20psi at idle seems low to me but since it goes right back up to what I would call normal after I oil change I don't think I should start throwing parts at it. Especially stuff that isn't exactly easy for a panda to replace himself.

What is concerning to me is the oil pressure difference as indicated on the gauge between 3,000 mile oil and fresh oil. Junior high science. The oil/filter is the independent variable and the only thing that is changed.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not sure why I made this thread. If blackstone comes back and has bad news guess I am doing more frequent oil changes anyway.

you're just upset because you don't like the answers.

you wanted us to all say AMAZON IS SNAKE OIL STAY AWAY! so you could jiffy looob mobil one every 3k miles/2.5 months and go on looking at your beloved fake gauge.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I mean, that Amazon oil has been Dexos certified by GM. We could get in to a separate discussion about how GM issues Dexos licenses, but they have given Amazon the license to say the oil meets their most stringent (Dexos) standard. Dexos supercedes previous GM6094M and GM4718M standards which are actually applicable to your engine. So yea, I'm not buying the "it's Amazon oil, so it must be ____".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info