• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical 04 Tahoe - Lower Oil Pressure

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Why aren't the OA's picking up high wear metal counts?
I’ve been a GM dealer tech for 20 years and seen this exact same scenario with this type of oil pressure concern at least 200 times. But hey, what do I know. Believe whatever you want to believe

And that's great... But I just asked why it won't show on oil analysis... Do you know something I don't?

And I know a dealer tech too... I was in his shop once and watched other dealer techs using the ugggaa duggaaa gun to torque head bolts soooooo0000ooo00

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
And that's great... But I just asked why it won't show on oil analysis... Do you know something I don't?

And I know a dealer tech too... I was in his shop once and watched other dealer techs using the ugggaa duggaaa gun to torque head bolts soooooo0000ooo00

Wait. That's not how you torque head bolts? :s00ls:

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Dealer tech honestly means nothing to me.

I get 2-3 trucks a month that are pulled from dealers due to shit work or they can't find the issue. And we are not cheaper really.

Also were going on 5 times the highlander has been to the dealer. They left parts off, broke more stuff, etc. We're borderline taking legal action RN

Reactions: Yaj Yak

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
Those oil analysis are BS. If anyone wants to believe that stretching out your oil changes to 10k and beyond is ok for your engine, then go right ahead. We get cars towed in everyday that prove otherwise.

The top layer of bearing material on the cam bearings is worn away. It won’t lose anymore material at this point or show up on any OA (if you believe in that nonsense) but will contribute to a lower than normal oil pressure. There will be no rod or main bearing wear for this instance.

And for that one guy who walked into the dealer that one time and happened to spot some guy torquing down head bolts with an impact, lol. No you didn’t.

Lots of former/has been/DIY experts with all the answers but no fix and that’s ok. They’ll bring it to me eventually

• It's funny, you're a funny guy
Reactions: DEEZUZ

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Eagle

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Those oil analysis are BS. If anyone wants to believe that stretching out your oil changes to 10k and beyond is ok for your engine, then go right ahead. We get cars towed in everyday that prove otherwise.

The top layer of bearing material on the cam bearings is worn away. It won’t lose anymore material at this point or show up on any OA (if you believe in that nonsense) but will contribute to a lower than normal oil pressure. There will be no rod or main bearing wear for this instance.

And for that one guy who walked into the dealer that one time and happened to spot some guy torquing down head bolts with an impact, lol. No you didn’t.

Lots of former/has been/DIY experts with all the answers but no fix and that’s ok. They’ll bring it to me eventually

id put money on the cars getting towed in "proving otherwise" with 10k+ oil changes, likely weren't getting oil analysis done.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

I don't take oil analysis results as a means of whether or not I extend my change intervals. I would think that many here are the same. We take it as a "health of the engine" test.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Oh wait where’s Stink Star Stink Star, he’s a dealer tech with an opinion I’d trust.

So what you really need to do is put an actual oil pressure gauge on an adaptor that screws onto the oil filter boss. Until then you’re just guessing.

As previously stated in here the oil pressure switch on the back of the valley pan is notorious for being bad so you can’t really trust a scan tool for reading oil pressure. But the real issue is there’s a screen under the oil pressure switch that gets clogged with schmoo and makes the sensor give a bad reading. You NEED to replace that if you’re doing a new oil press sender.

If the pressure is actually low it is 1 of 2 common things. A oil pickup o-ring (less likely) or worn can bearings. If it’s worn cam bearings it’s fucked. Technically you can replace them but going that deep into an engine is a job for a machine shop, not a technician at a auto shop. It’s likely easier to just get a new motor plus there’s 1000 other things that’ll be new along with the cam bearings.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

giphy.gif

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Most 4 cylinder head bolts are 3-4 dugga-duggas.

The only ASE tests that were even remotely "hard" are L1 and L2 and they're pretty easy.

It's kind of like slapping a Corvette emblem on a Cavalier and while most of the parts are there it's not quite a Corvette.

It's like any other industry with a bell curve distribution of skillsets.

Just remember a vast majority of doctors working on you are C students

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info