• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Winter 3V Mods/Upgrades

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Thats on my eventually list aswell.

frpp intake/tb, cams and suspension.

BOOM race car

Honestly, unless you are going for sound, or an all out race car (lockouts, springs etc) I wouldnt bother with cams. Most of the NSR (no springs required) cams are made specifically for sound. And unless you are going with a big ass cam or boost I wouldnt bother with the intake/TB.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Interesting. My understanding was that with a blower, LT's were an absolute necessity. You can get pretty good deals on used stuff (if youre into that kind of thing), and with what you could get back from the x pipe, im sure it would end up being cheaper than a intake mani.

Nope, you can make more than enough power with the stock manifolds, cams, heads, manifold, throttle body, etc. These aren't major restrictions unless you are making big hp and at that point you need to upgrade the rods & pistons.

I am interested in the FRPP Intake since MM&FF and a guy on S197forum with a similar setup as mine have seen 30+ whp just by swapping to the FRPP Intake manifold. It was designed for boost.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Nope, you can make more than enough power with the stock manifolds, cams, heads, manifold, throttle body, etc. These aren't major restrictions unless you are making big hp and at that point you need to upgrade the rods & pistons.

I am interested in the FRPP Intake since MM&FF and a guy on S197forum with a similar setup as mine have seen 30+ whp just by swapping to the FRPP Intake manifold. It was designed for boost.

yeah, I know with Boost the FRPP is good shit.

Also, all I know is my experience, and what that tells me is that LT's are NOT a mod I wanna skip. Like I already said best mod I made on my car.

Thats what i was saying. Making more power with less boost.

Gotcha, I misunderstood.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012

I don't understand this post, your saying that the stock manifold and throttle body makes more than enough power yet your wanting the FRPP intake manifold? Bolting on this manifold will net you 30hp? I gotta tell ya your gonna be really dissapointed after you bolt this on and look for that hp.

Just sayin, I know your quoting some guy on S197 and MM&FF but I call bullshit. I have put all these mods on my 3v and run on the dyno, never seeing anything close to this. $600.00 bucks of false hope is how I call it.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I don't understand this post, your saying that the stock manifold and throttle body makes more than enough power yet your wanting the FRPP intake manifold? Bolting on this manifold will net you 30hp? I gotta tell ya your gonna be really dissapointed after you bolt this on and look for that hp.

Just sayin, I know your quoting some guy on S197 and MM&FF but I call bullshit. I have put all these mods on my 3v and run on the dyno, never seeing anything close to this. $600.00 bucks of false hope is how I call it.

I was referring to the stock exhaust manifolds, which we were talking about above.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
It's hard to believe only because I put that manifold on and ran a dyno on it. Maybe 8hp from that mod. On a 3v to see any benefit to that manifold on boost you better port the heads or get some Stage2/3 heads if you want to get your money's worth from that manifold Also, I've gotten more hp from removing the restriction before the blower by using a powerpipe than what that manifold will give you.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
It's hard to believe only because I put that manifold on and ran a dyno on it. Maybe 8hp from that mod. On a 3v to see any benefit to that manifold on boost you better port the heads or get some Stage2/3 heads if you want to get your money's worth from that manifold Also, I've gotten more hp from removing the restriction before the blower by using a powerpipe than what that manifold will give you.

Did you already have delete plates?

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Did you already have delete plates?

No I did not, went from the stock manifold to the FRPP. You don't have to take my word for it, call one of the local Mustang tuners and see what they have to say. From my experience, instead of the manifold, spend $60.00 on a smaller pulley and get a powerpipe you will be way ahead of the game for less money.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
No I did not, went from the stock manifold to the FRPP. You don't have to take my word for it, call one of the local Mustang tuners and see what they have to say. From my experience, instead of the manifold, spend $60.00 on a smaller pulley and get a powerpipe you will be way ahead of the game for less money.

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

Who is your tuner?

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012

That's ok, S197 is a good forum, all I can tell you is my actual experience at what made good hp per dollar vs what didn't. My tuner is Mike Post, he would also have the actual datalogs from that mod to help you make a decision. We did comparisons on almost every mod put on this car.

Last edited:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So after reading this thread it looks like the only mods worth doing are a blower or Coyote swap. haha

Bang for the buck is one thing. But add all the mids up and they start to make sense. 15-20 with long tubes (plus nice bump in mid range), intake 10-15, cold air kit for 5-10, cams 10-20 and so on. Now your 265rwhp turns to 305-330rwhp. Nice bump in gains. But only the person paying for the parts can say if the mods are cost effective or not.

And don't forget some of these mods can extend the rpm range. You can use tgis to yiur advantage. If it carries power up higher and you have the proper gearing and tire you can pick up there as well.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
So after reading this thread it looks like the only mods worth doing are a blower or Coyote swap. haha

Bang for the buck is one thing. But add all the mids up and they start to make sense. 15-20 with long tubes (plus nice bump in mid range), intake 10-15, cold air kit for 5-10, cams 10-20 and so on. Now your 265rwhp turns to 305-330rwhp. Nice bump in gains. But only the person paying for the parts can say if the mods are cost effective or not.

And don't forget some of these mods can extend the rpm range. You can use tgis to yiur advantage. If it carries power up higher and you have the proper gearing and tire you can pick up there as well.

As someone just sharing information on the mods in this thread and what to really expect. Each of these mods add up, many of these mods need other mods so prior mod lives up to the stated gains. As someone who has spent money on these mods I give my opinion as the value returned.

Running Higher RPM's also requires other mods like springs and retainers, phase limiters etc. Spending money on mods is what we do, sometimes it's better to spend in the areas that return best results without needing supporting mods.

Also as a note to this manifold what you gain on the upper end your going to give up some down low.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Starting on the winter upgrades, following parts on the way. Gonna install these before pulling the trans and sending out for a stall adjustment. Still waiting for Vortech to release the information on the new TI blower upgrade that will be available this spring.

SOS dual gauge pillar.
Aeroforce dual scan gauges.
painless wiring 7 circuit hot key fuse box.
Snowkit dual nozzel meth injection upgrade.

SOS_zps65ca76a8.jpg

AeroforceDual_zps22ec8639.jpg

Painlesswiring_zps6c027c7d.jpg

DualNozzel_zps3c9df5f0.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info