Food / Drink Who makes their own pizzas?

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Anyone here make their own pizza? I've been working on it. And I think I have it down. At least the dough, and maybe the sauce. I'm making my dough tonight for my overnight proof in the fridge. So I'll post a photo tomorrow or what I made. Just curious if anyone else is into this. I'm rather enjoying it.

20230629_164401.jpg

20230629_164408.jpg

Getting better at making my own. I've figured out how to get it thin and crispy. The sauce I've got down pretty good too. I've found a good cheese locally that works too!

My only issue still is that the crust has an odd taste. I'm dusting the crust with simolina flour (as some recommend) for rolling it out and whatnot. It gives the crust an odd taste. Kinda a weird bready taste. It's not super strong but enough to make me want to use something else. You can see it in the photo below

20230629_165030.jpg

I'm going to switch over to using cornmeal and see if that helps change it.

Also trying out making a deep dish tonight.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We only used the semolina to act as a way to keep the crust from sticking to the peels and oven shelves. When we brought it out of the oven, we used the peel to try and work off all the excess semolina on a separate tray before placing on the cardboard circle in the box.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
We only used the semolina to act as a way to keep the crust from sticking to the peels and oven shelves. When we brought it out of the oven, we used the peel to try and work off all the excess semolina on a separate tray before placing on the cardboard circle in the box.
That's kinda how I'm using it. I put it down on the workbench, and then dust the top so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. I don't have a baller dough rolling machine like at a Pizzeria. I was using a peel and cooking on a stone initially, but that didn't work well for me. So I bought pizza screens to build it on and just place the whole thing in there. Works so much better.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I forgot to put the parm down under the crust. It's just a butter crust. I thinned the dough out a little bit, but I think I may have gone too thin on it. I put more cheese on it. I added parmsean and parmigiano reggiano sprinkles on top of the sauce.

I also figured out why the sauce was paste-like. One recipe I had wanted me to use an immersion blender to mix the ingredients. That was one that had whole tomotoes in it, and this one has just crushed tomotoes in it. And I just got it mixed up. I was just supposed to mix the ingredients with a spoon. Didn't do it this time and it's the correct consistency.

The biggest fail I had on this one was I didn't increase the bake time to account for the extra cheese and pulled it too early. So the cheese was a little too chewy and the crust wasn't crispy enough. I'll get it next time.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012

Shawn1112