Food / Drink Who makes their own pizzas?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Been making my own since I was 6.
10044700024109.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Same, every couple of months we make a few for dinner. Nothing at all near what Sprayin Sprayin is doing though lol
We buy pre-made Boboli crust, pizza sauce in a can that I really like (Walmart sells it and its on the sweeter side).
Fresh roast beef and pep from the deli, fresh vegetables, and other shit. It really does hit the spot when we want something different
The Wife will also do a bunch of frozen apps in the air fryer

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
This is what I use for the base of my sauce. I add basil, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper and kosher salt. If you like it on the sweeter side, you'd just use it as is. Stuff is incredible. We luckily have it at Meijer locally.

81KRJptxxzL.jpg

They have a version that has whole peeled tomotoes instead of crushed ones and that works better for deep.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
View attachment 168629

View attachment 168630
Getting better at making my own. I've figured out how to get it thin and crispy. The sauce I've got down pretty good too. I've found a good cheese locally that works too!

My only issue still is that the crust has an odd taste. I'm dusting the crust with simolina flour (as some recommend) for rolling it out and whatnot. It gives the crust an odd taste. Kinda a weird bready taste. It's not super strong but enough to make me want to use something else. You can see it in the photo below

View attachment 168631

I'm going to switch over to using cornmeal and see if that helps change it.

Also trying out making a deep dish tonight.
This looks killer, would try.
Made a deep dish tonight. Man this one is GOOD. Much better than the thin. I think this dough is better suited for deep than thin.

View attachment 168645

View attachment 168646
Not a deep dish guy, but I’d try this too.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Tweaked my dough recipe a little bit. I think it's sticky because of when I'm adding oil and salt (at the end after it's practically balled already). So I put it in before the water this time. And I pulled back on the hydration a little (down to 50% from 57%) and used less yeast. Mixed it and balled it up and it's already MUCH easier to ball and work with. Feels more like clay and less like sticky batter. Since it has such a low amount of yeast, I need to let this one cold ferment for like 4 days or so. So I'll know this weekend if this one works better or not.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Pulled one dough ball today, to kinda see what difference, if any, the extra couple days makes. I'm trying the "curing" method, where you roll out the dough a day early, put it on some paper, and let the top surface "harden" a little, then you flip it over so that's the bottom part of the crust. Pat's created this method back in the 70s, but Kim's Uncle (the new place that everyone seems to love) is doing it right now too. It has a lot of benefits, like making a crispier crust, and it makes the dough easy to slide off the peel, and won't stick to the pan/stone or whatever. We will see how it works out.

20230712_204053.jpg

I also found a local cheese shop that sells a local low-moisture whole milk mozzarella in blocks, so I can shred myself. I'm tweaking the sauce a little bit too. I'm excited to try this one based on how it rolled out.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and rocco

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
20230713_115811.jpg

20230713_120353.jpg

20230713_121601.jpg

20230713_122450.jpg

Let's start by staying this was incredible. This is the 1st thin I've made where I thought "fuck yeah" when I ate it. I learned a few things this time too and what I'll be doing to improve for the next one.

I cooked this guy 10 mins on a stone at 500F. This seems to be right for the cheese and the bottom. The very edges got burnt, for 2 reasons. 1. I think I pinched them too thin when rolling out. 2. The crust is so thin, it needs full coverage with sauce and cheese. I will push the sauce and cheese all the way to the edge next time.

The sauce is MUCH better with the tweaks I made. That being said, I think I didn't out enough on there. I figured the above photo was enough sacue but that's a big negative, it needs a whole lot more.

I also didn't put enough cheese on it. It really needs a whole pound of cheese. I put somewhere between 1/2-3/4 of a pound and it's just not enough. Whole milk mozzarella doesn't melt and stretch as much as it's part skim counterpart, so you get a lot of parts in the cheese that just become little pin holes. Next pizza will have a full pound.

With the curing method on this guy, it had no sticking issues, slide right off the peel and directly onto the stone. No sticking to the stone whatsoever either.

Shes getting there. A few minor tweaks and I'll really have something. After that, this things getting toppings. Going to start with a classic Chicago sausage that I'm going to hand make (with a little help from a friend of mine that actually knows how to cook). Maybe this weekend. We will see.

Let me know what you guys think. Would you eat that?

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
We actually got a stone and tried this recently, just used store bought dough though. It stuck to the stone really bad and didn't really cook through. First experience though. Are you guys par cooking your dough first? and what if anything do you put on the bottom to prevent it from sticking? otherwise it tasted good, lol

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
We actually got a stone and tried this recently, just used store bought dough though. It stuck to the stone really bad and didn't really cook through. First experience though. Are you guys par cooking your dough first? and what if anything do you put on the bottom to prevent it from sticking? otherwise it tasted good, lol

In this case, I did what's called "curing" the dough. I rolled it out and docked it, then out it onto a piece of wax paper (parchment is better) overnight. It let's one side of the dough kinda stiffen up. Almost like leather. Then flip it over the next day (so the cured side is now the bottom) onto the peel and dress it up. Slides onto the stone so easy. No sticking. No mess. Wonderful.

That looks amazing!

Do you put it on the stone, and then stick it in the oven, or do you preheat the stone in the oven, and then put the pizza on it?

You definitely want to put the stone into the oven and preheat in advance. I preheat for a full hour. If you don't, it'll leach so much heat out of the crust that it'll undercook compared to the toppings.

We put the dough on the stone then stuck it in the oven.
See comment just above this.

Reactions: rocco

Thread Info