Who cuts brake rotors OFF car nowadays?

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have some brembo rotors that need to be cut, and I want to know who does it for a reasonable price. Not slotted or drilled or anything.

They need to be done off the car.

Who has good experience?

-Dennis

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
napa up here does afaik

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Does anybody do it on car? Oreillys is like $10-15. Very reasonable and usually quick

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Brembos usually just have a retaining screw? Is the head of that screw stripped?

If so, you could always drill through the screw. I've done that many a times on other vehicles that use a similar setup.

b4black

Reaction score
Brembos usually just have a retaining screw? Is the head of that screw stripped?

If so, you could always drill through the screw. I've done that many a times on other vehicles that use a similar setup.
He means he wants them resurfaced off the car. I assume removing them from the car is no problem.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Sorry, I took it to mean, removed from the car...

Our local NAPA does the turning/cutting of them during the week. Weekends... NO.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah removal is no problem, I just needed to know locations that still have brake lathes around that don't charge an arm and a leg.

Now I need to pick a pad that will do well on the car and not cause insane dust, or dust that eats wheel finish...

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I read this as the rotors needed to be cut off the car.. like they were seized.

MonzaRacer

Reaction score
If your looking for street pads if you know the pad number you may be able to get NAPA to locate a version of ghier ADO pads. I use a lot on high end cars with brembo application calipers you just need the fmsi pad number or a set of old pads to match up. NOW dont get me wrong these are NOT race pads but the ADO (Adaptive One) use a proprietary dual friction set up, as in the inner pad is more aggressive but outer pad dusts less and neither squeals. ALSO dont forget to use a thin coat of silicone brKe lube on backs of pads and edges where they touch caliper, bra kets or mounts. I would recommend a good glass bead in the mounting area if rusted, then hit an Oreillys as they all have Accuturn one cut lathes. Other choice would be maybe look for a shop with a Pro-Cut or Hunter on car lathe, ex9ensive, yes but much better than other on car setups. And if you are looking at performance pads actually consult Brembo, I am sure they know more about thier products. But EBC, Hawk and Performance Friction all make decent pads but getting best ceramic, or ceramic/ metallic for best stopping but low dusting may take bit of research. Do the brakes have an OEM based application you could reference? For pads numbers basically. Good luck.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
napa by me is 10 or 15 per rotor to cut.
also my buddy across the street from me would probably cut them for a bottle of vodka or case of beer.

Lights Out Chitown

Reaction score
Depending on the car you may not want to take it to one, but most schools(colleges and highschools) with shop programs have brake lathes... they may do it for free since it's merely labor, and if it's a highschool shop class it can be a teaching tool(pretty simple to turn a rotor so they shouldn't mess it up)

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting them cut at O'reilly Auto parts for $12 a piece, and put on a fresh set of EBC Redstuff with the bedding compound on them. Car just finished the light duty 200 miles and is ready for the bedding procedure (60-10 stops, 5 times in a row, moving cooldown, complete cooldown, repeat 1x). After 1500 miles they should be at full potential.

Now I need to find the fuel delivery problem after the last dyno session.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they had machines that cut the rotors while still attached to the car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom