whats wrong with this picture.............

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Why would they lay off employees in the fast food industry if they are passing the cost increases onto the consumer, the cost increases will be pretty insignificant, and the fast food industry operates on quick turnaround of food?

So again, using a realistic point of view regarding this specific situation, how does our economy benefit from the big fast food industry players benefit our holding onto more profits rather than paying their workers better?

Dude, are you serious right now? First off, the insignificant increase is actually pretty significant. The small 50 cent increase is 10%, that's a lot! You are also talking about publicly owned companies. Much of that money is paid to stock holders, not just the CEO.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Is Greasy trolling right now? Jesus. What's next? The guy that works at jiffy lube making $15/hour now wants more because he's more skilled than mcdonalds. The nurse tech at the hospital wants more than 20 an hour because he's more skilled than the jiffy lube go so on and so forth. When the simplest job pays $15 an hour, everybody will want an increase. Jobs are just like products, supply and demand. If you feel you are being underpaid, then quit! If you really are worth $15, go out there and make it somewhere else!

What does it matter, if they can make that type of money why not? Since when do you care so much about big business. They could honestly give 2 fucks about you.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
What does it matter, if they can make that type of money why not? Since when do you care so much about big business. They could honestly give 2 fucks about you.

It's not big business. It's economics, take a course. People get paid what they are worth! As I said before, if you think you're worth more, GET A DIFFERENT JOB. If they were all underpaid, there would be nobody working there right?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Dude, are you serious right now? First off, the insignificant increase is actually pretty significant. The small 50 cent increase is 10%, that's a lot! You are also talking about publicly owned companies. Much of that money is paid to stock holders, not just the CEO.

It is not significant, 10% who cares? It is not going to stop people from buying a cheeseburger. You act like the entire economy will collapse.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Oh I get it, profit drives demand. :picard: :picard:

Yup, the cost would be passed onto the people and it would translate into a value meal probably being less than $0.50 higher. How am I being short sighted? Please explain the benefit of fast food corporations holding more profit earnings vs. low income workers getting a better wage. I laugh when people always support big business.

It's not a matter of supporting big business; it's a matter of right and wrong. "Living wage" is a subjective term. What if someone else considers $18 an hour a living wage? Why not give them $20? An increase in price results in a decrease of sales. This is just simple economics. Companies spend millions of dollars trying to find the sweet spot between price and volume and which combo results in the most profit. All things being equal, an increase in price will result in a decrease of sales volume and a decrease in price will result in an increase in sales volume.

This would be a double edged sword. First they're paying their employees more so there's more expense there. Then they're going to try to recoup some (or all of that) through the sales price of their product which will result in less people purchasing said product. If volume reaches a particular point then you need less employees. So now the corporation is making the same money, selling less product and employing less people. Meanwhile there's people out there that would gladly perform that job for $8.00 an hour but they can't because it's illegal. That's fucking stupid.

The bottom line is that taxes and regulation stifle business but business' being business will find ways around that. Your utopia where Joe Poor gets more money and it comes from the pockets of the corporation just doesn't exist. It will come out of your pocket and my pocket when I want a large fry in the form of higher prices. So you frame the argument wrong. It's not a matter of who gets the money: the working poor or big money hungry corporations because the corporations won't absorb this cost. They'll pass it on.

Two examples:

1. Health care. Any company with over 50 employees has to provide health care. Any employee working over 39 hours (I believe) has to have company provided health care. So what are companies doing? They're knocking full time employees down to 35 hours a week or laying people off to get under the 50 employee mark.

2. Here in Los Angeles in addition to a state sales tax and the highest income tax in the country (9.3%) Los Angeles also taxes me for the right to do business in Los Angeles. That's right... I pay income tax to the state, sales tax to the state and tax to Los Angeles for having a business here. So what are business' doing? They're setting up shop in Burbank, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood and other cities that are in Los Angeles but aren't the actual city of Los Angeles.

People get around this stuff. More taxes and un-necessary regulations rarely have the effect people expect they will. Instead companies just look for ways around it. So instead of my business being set up in Los Angeles I'll just get myself a nice house in LA and an office in Burbank. Now Los Angeles gets nothing.

Also, have you forgotten my stance on most social issues? I think most would consider me pretty liberal on social issues but on matters of economics, liberals are generally wrong. I agree that the income disparity in this country is in-excusable and we need to do something about that but I just don't think this is it. Once you remove the motivating factors to better yourself you start running into some pretty scary scenarios.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
It's not big business. It's economics, take a course. People get paid what they are worth! As I said before, if you think you're worth more, GET A DIFFERENT JOB. If they were all underpaid, there would be nobody working there right?

The job market is still rough out there. I am not suggesting they should earn $70K per year for flipping a burger, but there is a balance in everything. Part of the reason this economy people have very little buying power. I refuse to feel bad for a company that has a CEO that earns 500 times what is lowest worker does. It makes no sense.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
The job market is still rough out there. I am not suggesting they should earn $70K per year for flipping a burger, but there is a balance in everything. Part of the reason this economy people have very little buying power. I refuse to feel bad for a company that has a CEO that earns 500 times what is lowest worker does. It makes no sense.

Unfortunately the CEO makes the rules. If you don't like it, don't buy their product, and prices will go down, and he will make less money. It's basic capitalistic greed, and as long as we live in a free America, it's always going to be like that.

Those who are the highest up are going to get the best pay and benefits, and it will trickle down as you go down the food chain.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Out of curiosity, how much should a CEO make? Our CEO's total compensation was 12 million last year, outrageous right! If he forfeit all of that pay, and divided it up with all the employees they'd get an extra $50 per year. BIG DEAL.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Unfortunately the CEO makes the rules. If you don't like it, don't buy their product, and prices will go down, and he will make less money. It's basic capitalistic greed.

Those who are the highest up are going to get the best pay and benefits, and it will trickle down as you go down the food chain.

CEO doesn't always make the rules, large companies are like governments. Shareholders have a say.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
it comes down to market value, what is the value of your job averaged over the market in the area, if your low on the average you switch to a different company that pays more if all companys pay the same and you want more money you switch to another profession that pays more, or you mug fuckn protest them bitches till they pay you more

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
it comes down to market value, what is the value of your job averaged over the market in the area, if your low on the average you switch to a different company that pays more if all companys pay the same and you want more money you switch to another profession that pays more, or you mug fuckn protest them bitches till they pay you more

Or they can be a real stud and start their own business, or invent something, make a shitload of money, and do whatever they want with it.

Donate it to charity, put it in stocks, leave it all under your mattress, or burn it... Just don't tell other people or companies what they should do with their hard earned money. Cause last time I checked, this was America. Isn't this America? I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Is Greasy trolling right now? Jesus. What's next? The guy that works at jiffy lube making $15/hour now wants more because he's more skilled than mcdonalds. The nurse tech at the hospital wants more than 20 an hour because he's more skilled than the jiffy lube go so on and so forth. When the simplest job pays $15 an hour, everybody will want an increase. Jobs are just like products, supply and demand. If you feel you are being underpaid, then quit! If you really are worth $15, go out there and make it somewhere else!

Finally!

Although you should save your fingers.....greasy with his high school education has schooled us all. I mean....."it's just big business!" Lmmfao. :rollpicard:

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Flipping burgers and cleaning the ovens at Mcdonalds is not worth $15 an hour .

This is what I see happening if we give them 15$ and also the union they want .

They would get $15 an hour and be no more productive than they already are . Infact workers might slow down since the hourly pay is so good they will try to get at least one or two hours extra per day . Probably stretching the clock time .

Unionize means they will get a contract and start at $15$ now . And most likely raises every year . Not .15 cent raises . More like .75-1.25 raise per year .

Lets say 5 year contract . In that time a burger flipper will make 20.xx an hour to flip a burger ????? No way is that fair to anyone in America .

You will also see nobody quitting . No new hires . At least in the urban areas . Nobody is going to want to quit an easy ass , over paying job .

In the end , 20 years from now Mcdonalds would be a bunch of old minorities making you your food . The same person that flipped your burger way back when . Instead now he's making $36.75 an hour good benefits probably better than yours , also making more than the management team that actually runs the store , and a union he cant get fired from .

:eek3:

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've dealt with these types of people on a daily basis before. They couldn't afford their car(hence me coming in to their life), but they sure as fuck could afford the 60" LED TV on the wall, the Air Jordans, etc.

I think what you proponents of this are misunderstanding is what these people actually believe "living wage" means. $50 flat-brim hats, rims, jewelery, etc.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Out of curiosity, how much should a CEO make? Our CEO's total compensation was 12 million last year, outrageous right! If he forfeit all of that pay, and divided it up with all the employees they'd get an extra $50 per year. BIG DEAL.

CEO of our company made 19 million last year. Company made record profits for the 3rd year straight (working on the 4th as we speak). I learned this back in January when I was laid off along with well over a thousand other people. I'm not saying a CEO should make $0, but when I get a letter when I'm laid off that says thanks for your hard work and making our record year possible, while I'm making $0 and the company is going off with $14.2 billion, pisses me off a little.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
My step dad worked three jobs, while my mom also worked so they could keep our house. It payed off in dividends as eventually he moved up to VP at his main job for all his hard work and I learned a valuable lesson in working hard and taking pride in my work.

Those people in the picture and many more like them can go slit their necks and wrists.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Unionize means they will get a contract and start at $15$ now . And most likely raises every year . Not .15 cent raises . More like .75-1.25 raise per year .

:eek3:

I have a union job in the big steel mill in area, our raise this year was 2% which equals about .43 cents, ( last year no raise with new contract) just because its a union doesn't mean high pay raises or high wages, yeah it does offer job security but not much, company can still control who/and how many employees work.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Finally!

Although you should save your fingers.....greasy with his high school education has schooled us all. I mean....."it's just big business!" Lmmfao. :rollpicard:

Man deviant you are a scholar. You are right, I wish I went to college to get a better education. If only I could be as smart as you. Your opinion is gospel. OMG these people are arguing for a better wage and these billion dollar companies will instantly crumble. It is simple economics really.

This is just logic here, but maybe they do not expect $15 an hour. Perhaps they are trying to negotiate a better wage and are starting high knowing that if they ask for $10 that they will get under that. You do know what negotiation is right?

I guess I am different because I do not look at a picture of black people and immediately think they are all non-working low level pieces of shit that feel that they are entitled to something.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I have a union job in the big steel mill in area, our raise this year was 2% which equals about .43 cents, ( last year no raise with new contract) just because its a union doesn't mean high pay raises or high wages, yeah it does offer job security but not much, company can still control who/and how many employees work.

They (mcdonanlds) would probably end up being teamsters and teamsters wont get out of bed for a .43 cent raise .

I can see it now at the contract negotiations . A free food clause for family members after two years of service written into the contract . :drums:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info