whats wrong with this picture.............

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
My issue with the Mickey Ds people is that they really want to fuck everyone higher up in the pyramid in a way. By this I mean lets look at what happens with minimum wage. Every time the minimum wage went up where my wife was working (retail) the employees she'd rewarded with a raise are all of a sudden making minimum wage again. As such all the shit that people buy goes up in price to compensate, and in turn their buying power which was above minimum wage is now minimum wage again. It causes the people who have gotten raises further up the ladder to get screwed over.

The people at Mcdonalds don't realize they're getting fucked out of something far far far more important than say $7-8/hour. The majority of them are in a job with little or no chance of advancement. The ones who are smart leave, and the ones who stay keep adding fucking cheese to my hamburger then arguing with me that plain means "with cheese" although I said "meat and bread only."

The last thing I'll point out is that corporations like this pay low wages and subsidize themselves using the tax payer dollar. By not paying a living wage they keep their employees at a point they collect wealth fare, food stamps etc. and they don't have to pay them a living wage. It's a form of corporate wealth fare in a way, it allows them to lower their prices compared to the competition who pays better. If their prices went up due to their employees getting paid more which gets them off wealth fare programs it would in turn mean the people who should (their customers) pay for a product would actually do such, instead of everyone paying so that there can be the illusion of an overall lower price.

If anyone is getting ripped it's probably people in sit down restaurants who are somewhat at the mercy of their customers whim and making 3/change an hour. Talk about a job where you get paid for what you work for, some times.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I don't think they even flip them anymore :rofl:

I'm pretty sure they just zap them in a microwave. Everything's premade. No cooking skills needed....no skills needed at all actually

They don't flip them...But they don't microwave them either. They're cooked on a "clam shell" grill. It's basically like a giant George Foreman grill, except it's completely flat, and the fat doesn't drain away. :D (You squeegee the pools of grease in to a trap after every 9-12 burgers)

It's pretty gross working the grill. I did it for a few days at one of my mom's stores when I was younger, and fucking hated it. About 4 hours in to a shift, I was coated it grease...I felt so gross it was unbearable.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
The majority of them are in a job with little or no chance of advancement. The ones who are smart leave,

Not entirely true. If someone works at McDonald's and remains at the bottom of the totem pole for years and years and years...Well, there's a reason for that.

My mom started there when she was 16 working the register or whatever. She was a store manager by her mid 20s and is now a regional supervisor and oversees a bunch of franchised stores. She went from making minimum wage to making well into the 6-figure range.

But she also started working there in an era when people were still expected to work hard and prove their worth before being rewarded...Nowadays, everyone just has their hand out.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Why shouldn't MCD pay a living wage? They earn their money on the backs of the underclass.

If ever there was an example of a company that DIDN'T make their money on the backs of the underclass McDonalds is it. You have to be kidding with this reference. Are you kidding? McDonalds is in one of the most competitive (and quickest growing) industries there is. They don't have near a monopoly and nobody is forced to purchase there nor does their pricing structure entice anyone to buy their versus say buying at a grocery store. There is no advantage to eating at McDonalds.

I'm going to have a hard time taking the rest of what you say seriously based on this one statement alone.

While menial minimum wage jobs were never meant to be careers, some people can not advance further.

Few. Few people can't advance further. Either because they don't have the mental skills or because of a particular situation (single mothers, reformed thugs that are typecast as thugs forever, etc). Most of the time people can't advance because of their own decisions. Very few are a victim of their own circumstances (mental illness, etc). In those cases family should help them out. In the remainder, I hate to be a bad guy here but tough shit. If you popped out 3 kids before you were 20 and now you don't have time to get educated that's on you. Figure it out. I wish I hadn't squandered money I made when I was younger. I wish I invested more in my first company rather than spend it on crap while watching a competitor turn into a millionaire on the same ideas. I'm a product of my decisions, good or bad.

MCD profited 1.4 BILLION in the most recent quarter. 3 months, 1.4 BILLION. That's the posted figure after accounting fudgery. Surely the can afford to step their pay up. If you added up all the franchisee profits as well, I could see that figure easily doubling.

Who cares? How is what they make at all relevant to what they pay? And what about companies that aren't McDonalds? We're all using the most successful as an example but what about the smaller companies that would be affected by this that don't make near that? But you can forget about all that because again, profit is not relative to the value of a job. That's like one of my customer's say "you made xxxxx dollars last year. Give me $100 off this camera. You can afford it.". It's just a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

I'mma dumb it down for you for a minute. Ready?

If Juan doesn't flip the burger, the profits go away. Juan is a vitally important member of the workforce.

If Juan goes away Jim will be standing there ready to do the job for the same amount of money and if Jim, Susie or Gerald aren't willing to take the job McDonalds will need to adjust it's rate of compensation until they are willing to take the job. That's how it works. Is there anything more ironic than someone trying to be condescending and also being fundamentally wrong?

And here's the rub. You can't afford to live on minimum wage. Picture your life if you had 4 kids, and worked 2 31 hour part time jobs to get by. Where would you even find the time for self betterment? Say you save up a couple grand to pay for a semester of community college, oops, you got sick and had to go to the er, now you're broke again because your shitty employer that makes 5 BILLION dollars a year won't provide health insurance because you're part time.

Ah yes, it's McDonalds fault you popped out 4 children all while apparently never having learned skills that could earn you a job beyond burger cooker. You had nothing to do with that. McDonalds took your dick, jammed it in that girl and forced you to pop out those kids. They should pay!

Oh wow. So much wrong here. Pensions were bleeding GM, and those contracts were written in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Paying a living wage = good. Promising to pay someone that wage while they are no longer employed, until they die = dumb. People stopped buying because the entire market shit the bed. Don't confuse the GM bankruptcy as being employee driven. Inability to obtain debt financing due to frozen credit markets played a much larger role. They ostensibly bankrupted so they could pass the pension obligation to the federal pension fund. That should be criminal.

Actually it was a combination of frozen credit, unsustainable legacy costs and a complete failure to provide a marketable vehicle that wasn't a truck or SUV in a time where gas prices where at their highest ever. 2008 was a perfect storm. I think a pretty good argument can be made that legacy costs are the straw that broke the camel's back but I can understand that that's open for debate. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be though.

The bottom line and this is really it for me... is that unless there is someone with a gun forcing me to eat there or forcing Joe Blow to work there then the they can pay their employees whatever they want just like they can charge whatever they want for their food. If they price their food too high fewer people will eat there. If they pay too low of wages nobody will work there. It's such a simple concept. Why do people let emotion get in the way of reality?

Dirty, I have to assume that whatever marketable skill you posses is vocational.

BlizzardTC

its dark and i hear laughing
Aug 22, 2010
Matteson
Every day i feel like their is some new re-fucking-tarded demand from the bottom of the society barrel. I hate to say it, but I blame Obama for making all these people feel so damn entitled. If you don't like how much your minimum wage job pays, get a new job.

unionizing and striking is a century old concept. alot of high paying jobs payed very little years ago. this process of demanding more created the middle class. these guys demanding the starting salary of a college grad is fucking hilarious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info