• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Whats the most reliable (older model) car you've ever owned

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Aside from the huge reply of 3800's I'm sure this thread will get, I'm curious, what has been your most reliable 'beater'?

For me it'd have to be a tie between my 95 civic coupe that had 214K on it and could chirp second on its origional motor/transmission despite only having 105hp. Never had a peep of trouble out of that car for the 7-8 months that I drove it with the original motor/transmission. Ditto for my 97 Explorer Sport 2wd 5/speed. Aside from me messing up the lower intake manifold gasket replacement that I did out of choice, not necessity, it ran flawlessly, and really 'delivered' above expectation for being a winter beater that I paid $650 for.

I know I'm not the best example of this since I don't hold onto cars for long, so I'm more curious about everyone else.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
1989 ford aerostar. Had 190k on it, got almost 30mpg and was a beast in the snow. It also did awesome burnouts and donuts.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I had an '83 civic wagon that went over 200k (on 3 different motors)...although only one of them was mad for the car, and I beat the piss out of it constantly.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
1968 f250, still on the original clutch, starts up every time...just have to hammer the y pipe in every now and then to quiet it down

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
Reaction score
Not really THAT old, but my 2000 Explorer drove from Chicago to east New Jersey, to Chicago, to San Francisco, to San Diego, to Lake Tahoe, to Chicago, to east Virginia, to Chicago, and to Miami. All without a single hickup.

I put over 60k miles on it (now at 150k), and the most expensive repair was the balljoints (at a whopping $30).

BLUBYU2

Reaction score
1993 and 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0L Never get the 3.8. Put 200K on the first and the second one I sold to a friend still has it 150k still running no real problems.

Z

Zenriddles

1978 Ford LTD II

Had close to 200,000 miles on it, original engine, original trans. Car never died on me - it was drowned in a flood.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
i havent owned a car long enough to answer this :rofl:

93R-Code

1998 Explorer Sport

200k and mostly untouched (just maintence items) and still going.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
My lumina did pretty good, minus the oil leak, never had an issue with it til the rod bearing went

BillyBru

FoodHead
Reaction score
00 cavalier same with netchem, not old but reliable. before I had the car it was driven back and forth to Colorado for snowboarding trips. I've had it for 4 years and theres almost 175 on the clock and still beating minivans and stock neons.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All of my Chevy trucks. Had a 88 c1500, lasted 5 years before I sold it - I beat the ever living hell out of that truck. Had a 89 2500 burb... started on the coldest of days. Had a 97 2500 burb... a great truck. Now I've got my 96 2500 diesel burb... looking forward to a good relationship with it. :D

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
my 92 accord was my most reliable. on the coldest of days it fired right up and within a few mins of driving would be blowing hot air. i regret selling that car, but still see it once a week (the arizona sales rep bought it from me). it just made a trip to new york and back the other week, and got over 30 mpg.

this isnt my car, but a regular customer at my shop has an 86 accord 5 spd with 480k miles on the original engine and trans. it's a rust free north carolina car that's still in the hands of the original owner. it runs and looks great, plus you dont see many rust free hondas....

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Since I've only had one car I guess my GP GT. Got 150k miles and still running strong. I whooped the shit out of a 03ish v6 eclipse the other day with the kids GF in the car (cockblock lol). Had my subs in (they are not light) and 2 250 lb dudes in the car. It does work.

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
He was definitely trying cause I was watching him slam through gears and then I decided to go WOT and I was gone :mamoru: we had been going at it for a couple lights but didn't have decent land until we got to the last one. He jumped the line too. Fuckin ricers :s00ls:

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Those are like mid 15 cars stock. I'd be surprised if yours was even in the 15's

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't know your car at all but I thought even "fast" stock GT's were like 15.7's tops. Dude probably just sucked at driving

machausta

Slow VW driver
Reaction score
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 V6, I bought it at 127k and only replacing a battery, alternator, and one upper control arm drove it to 310k before selling it when overdrive stopped working.

LSx S10

Reaction score
my 92 cavalier z24 was a tank. Sold it with 190K miles and it still ran perfect. Never even pulled a valve cover. The trans went out but that is the only major issue it had.

But it's a toss up, because my S10 is at 180K miles right now and its completely original with the exception of the rear dif. Same thing as the cavalier, haven't even pulled a valve cover. I just change the oil lol. Biggest issue I had was a fuel pump.

Angus

Reaction score
Besides having to replace the ecu since it was flooded, my old 92 bmw 318is was on 210,000 miles and always started up and didn't burn a thing. I enjoyed working on that car too, was pretty easy and parts weren't as expensive as everyone thinks they are...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom