Whats the most reliable (older model) car you've ever owned

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Aside from the huge reply of 3800's I'm sure this thread will get, I'm curious, what has been your most reliable 'beater'?

For me it'd have to be a tie between my 95 civic coupe that had 214K on it and could chirp second on its origional motor/transmission despite only having 105hp. Never had a peep of trouble out of that car for the 7-8 months that I drove it with the original motor/transmission. Ditto for my 97 Explorer Sport 2wd 5/speed. Aside from me messing up the lower intake manifold gasket replacement that I did out of choice, not necessity, it ran flawlessly, and really 'delivered' above expectation for being a winter beater that I paid $650 for.

I know I'm not the best example of this since I don't hold onto cars for long, so I'm more curious about everyone else.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Not really THAT old, but my 2000 Explorer drove from Chicago to east New Jersey, to Chicago, to San Francisco, to San Diego, to Lake Tahoe, to Chicago, to east Virginia, to Chicago, and to Miami. All without a single hickup.

I put over 60k miles on it (now at 150k), and the most expensive repair was the balljoints (at a whopping $30).

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
All of my Chevy trucks. Had a 88 c1500, lasted 5 years before I sold it - I beat the ever living hell out of that truck. Had a 89 2500 burb... started on the coldest of days. Had a 97 2500 burb... a great truck. Now I've got my 96 2500 diesel burb... looking forward to a good relationship with it. :D

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
my 92 accord was my most reliable. on the coldest of days it fired right up and within a few mins of driving would be blowing hot air. i regret selling that car, but still see it once a week (the arizona sales rep bought it from me). it just made a trip to new york and back the other week, and got over 30 mpg.

this isnt my car, but a regular customer at my shop has an 86 accord 5 spd with 480k miles on the original engine and trans. it's a rust free north carolina car that's still in the hands of the original owner. it runs and looks great, plus you dont see many rust free hondas....

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
my 92 cavalier z24 was a tank. Sold it with 190K miles and it still ran perfect. Never even pulled a valve cover. The trans went out but that is the only major issue it had.

But it's a toss up, because my S10 is at 180K miles right now and its completely original with the exception of the rear dif. Same thing as the cavalier, haven't even pulled a valve cover. I just change the oil lol. Biggest issue I had was a fuel pump.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info