NEW RIDE We’re an Explorer now!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I'm also going to suggest a Sonata or Kia K5. She had a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T from 15-19 and we put 60-70k on it with no real issues. It was fast, got great gas mileage and looked decent too.

A Sonata N Line would nice, but we'll see if she wants fuel economy over performance this go around.

headed to back to back to back meetings...fun fun!

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm also going to suggest a Sonata or Kia K5. She had a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T from 15-19 and we put 60-70k on it with no real issues. It was fast, got great gas mileage and looked decent too.

A Sonata N Line would nice, but we'll see if she wants fuel economy over performance this go around.

headed to back to back to back meetings...fun fun!
Kia stinger like Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk perhaps?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Kia stinger like Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk perhaps?
If someone doesn't need the hatch and AWD of a Stinger, than a K5 GT or Sonata N are a better overall value in a lighter weight vehicle with the same 2.5T. They have a lower purchase price, better fuel economy, and also a bit faster (except from a dig because of spinning FWD).

I'd expect trade in values for "inefficient" vehicles to start dropping rapidly with the steadily rising fuel costs, as more people are gonna be doing the same thing, and nobody wanting to buy them. So dealers aren't going to want them either. So if one is gonna do it, I'd do it quickly...

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Wait, I thought she wanted YOU to get rid of the GTI, or are we now talking about getting rid of the perpetual washer fluid leaking machine?

I WANT to get a Corolla GR, or if the new Civic Type R potentially. I love my GTI, but I would love one of those more. I'm not rushing to get rid of the GTI anytime soon though.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
If she wants the space the Sonata or Kia would be plenty enough I would think. If she still wants to be a little higher than normal but willing to sacrifice some space, the Kona N would be cool as well.

We'll have to talk about what she really wants. She wants 3 rows, but won't drive a minivan. She wants fast but fuel efficient. She wants to buy not lease because we drive alot of miles per year (15-20k on average). She wants ICE not EV. She's also very much a brand loyalist, though I have been trying to get her away from that and go with what fits your needs best at the time.

Also, the financial aspect will play a part. She stuck with Ford mostly because going back to the same dealer as the Edge ST, we were able to get a decent enough deal on the trade in, more so than trading in elsewhere, though I suspect today that's less of an issue than before.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Are there any PHEV that would [mostly] fit her needs? Use that battery local and save a shit-ton on gas going back and forth to work.

I think my years of boy-racer life have influenced her towards performance over fuel efficiency. She's an aggressive driver, so unless a PHEV has performance to go with the efficiency, that may be out of the question.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I think my years of boy-racer life have influenced her towards performance over fuel efficiency. She's an aggressive driver, so unless a PHEV has performance to go with the efficiency, that may be out of the question.

I don’t see the need to trade in the ST since she needs a 3rd row, not many vehicles will give u great gas mileage with a 3rd row and be fun. The ST in sport mode is awesome to drive I had one for a a few months as a demo which sold Saturday and averaged 20mpg and had zero complaints about it. Just curious why she needs a 3rd row? My girl a had a mdx lease and not once did we use the 3rd row and made sure she didn’t over pay for it if she never used it. It’s been a year and not a peep about a 3rd she is a happy camper.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I don’t see the need to trade in the ST since she needs a 3rd row, not many vehicles will give u great gas mileage with a 3rd row and be fun. The ST in sport mode is awesome to drive I had one for a a few months as a demo which sold Saturday and averaged 20mpg and had zero complaints about it. Just curious why she needs a 3rd row? My girl a had a mdx lease and not once did we use the 3rd row and made sure she didn’t over pay for it if she never used it. It’s been a year and not a peep about a 3rd she is a happy camper.
We have used the 3rd row maybe 3 times in a year. We don't NEED a third row, she WANTED one.

I think she remembers days when the twins were little and we'd bring a niece/nephew with us to an outing and it was cramped for everyone in the back seat. Nephew has his first GF and is P-whippppppppped as most 19 yr old boys will be and niece is going into her last year of college and will probably move on with her life as well. The only REAL 3rd row need would be if the twins have a playdate with a friend and we need to go somewhere. In most those cases, I try to opt myself out of a car with as many pre-teen girls as often as I can, because that's down rite torture.

She really needs to think about what her priorities in a car are, for realistic life. Gonna be fun dinner conversation tonight.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Tell her she can only pick 1 of the "need/want" list, just like she did with you...

1. Handsome
2. Big dick
3. Keeps the cars detailed and the washer fluid full

Giggle Smile GIF

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I use my debit card (tied to the checkbook) to buy gas. Instead of printing a piece of paper with the amount of $ I spent on gas, I send her a text with "$XX.XX @ Gas Station" so that she can record it in the checkbook and balance it.
Y tho. I never understood this phrase, even moreso now that every bank on the planet has an app

Spend money
Check app every couple of days
No surprise expenses means your shit isn't stolen, life is good

you still write checks for stuff?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I use my debit card (tied to the checkbook) to buy gas. Instead of printing a piece of paper with the amount of $ I spent on gas, I send her a text with "$XX.XX @ Gas Station" so that she can record it in the checkbook and balance it.
LOL Really? I know she is in finance by trade right? But thats some 80s 90s shit right dur.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
LOL Really? I know she is in finance by trade right? But thats some 80s 90s shit right dur.
Like even back then...did the banks need auditing? So you keep a running total then physically go to the bank and make sure they match....and the banks were wrong often enough that it was worth keeping track manually?

what?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Y tho. I never understood this phrase, even moreso now that every bank on the planet has an app

Spend money
Check app every couple of days
No surprise expenses means your shit isn't stolen, life is good

you still write checks for stuff?
I mean I have my account setup so ANYTIME a debit transaction is made I get a text.

Thread Info