📸 Photography Unlikely and underwhelming survivors

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Is that an 84-87 Electra Park Ave?

If so VERY VERY closely related to the GN engines. The 86-87 even used a 7148 box. It had 2 dot rods and a crank that would drop into a standard RWD block, although it was cut for a 1pc rear man. It had a timing cover that would bolt on to the standard RWD blocks as well (although not sure how compatible it was) as well as the heads/intake fitting a regular block as well and a myriad of other things. Pretty cool engine really, they never boosted one from the factory probably because of the gear box I'd imagine.

My brother had one, as he put it the seats were like rolling down the road on a stuffed sofa.
I was thinking 88-89 model year. The 87’s had 4 headlamps if I remember correctly.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Ohh and the coolest part about those was the hood. I fucking loved how the hoods flipped forward on them.

IMG_5509.jpeg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Is that an 84-87 Electra Park Ave?

If so VERY VERY closely related to the GN engines. The 86-87 even used a 7148 box. It had 2 dot rods and a crank that would drop into a standard RWD block, although it was cut for a 1pc rear man. It had a timing cover that would bolt on to the standard RWD blocks as well (although not sure how compatible it was) as well as the heads/intake fitting a regular block as well and a myriad of other things. Pretty cool engine really, they never boosted one from the factory probably because of the gear box I'd imagine.

My brother had one, as he put it the seats were like rolling down the road on a stuffed sofa.
I had always wondered if I could get away with pulling the NA ECU out and plug a GN unit in there. The trans issues suck. Buick had a goal of turboing the entire line-up but the transaxles weren't up for the task.

The reason I wonder is because one of the experimental engines was for sale a couple years ago. It looked like it was made with production parts which goes to show how serious Buick was about the project. The plumbing looked awesome. I was really tempted to buy it because they weren't asking much, but I had to think about what I would actually do with it. The engine was originally in an '87 Riviera T-type. I would feel like I was doing the engine a disservice if I put it in anything else, and good luck finding one.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I had a very stubborn buddy in college who drove on of those. A few of us would comment about how we never see them anymore. He insisted it was an amazing car despite the fact that he had rebuilt the transmission four times.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I had a very stubborn buddy in college who drove on of those. A few of us would comment about how we never see them anymore. He insisted it was an amazing car despite the fact that he had rebuilt the transmission four times.
The Wife (then G/F) had the next gen, a '99. It was a pile of shit in terms of power and had a fair share of problems, and was a PITA to work on because of it being FWD, but with a longitudal engine/trans setup, but the car looked good (better than the gen pictured above) and the interior was huge. I remember being able to fit two forward facing critter seats (for the Wife's neices) and a rear facing bucket seat (for my nephew), when we had all the kids at once, in the rear seat. This not able to be done in my 4-door GTP at the time.

I won't lie, I look for R/T's of that gen for sale, just for shits and giggles. :D I already have a fresh set of front brakes for it in the garage that I found recently. We probably got rid of hers before I got around to installing them.

Thread Info