🔧 BUILD Twincharged 3800 Malibu

General Information

Figured I’d finally start a build thread for this stupid thing seeing as how it’s 99% “done”. I’ll try to update with the backlog of pictures I have when I get the time, and I’ll do my best to answer questions.

I finally tracked down a pair of seats that match the oxblood interior for a decent price yesterday, and I’m very happy with how they mock up. These are 370Z 40th anniversary seats. I’ll have to build some pads/brackets for them, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.

AB67E24A-BCEB-42D1-B821-C2959F752DF9.jpeg

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Okay, cool. At least I’m not a complete idiot. That’s not to say I’m not a partial idiot who accidentally put it in the wrong location. Clips are tight. I can barely rotate it with a pair of needle nose, but it doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere.

Cam sensor is getting steady 12v on pins A and C, and B has steady ground. Did a pretty good wiggle test and everything seems okay. Terminals seem nice and tight.

4F813A46-8BC8-49AA-AE80-A9F04069136B.jpeg

Reactions: v6buicks

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Holley probably not default batch fire like we are.

Even with the old CÂłI ignition and ecu we start as batch fire under 400rpm where we switch to sequential once TDC is determined via cmp.

My wagon drives just fine mostly without a magnet in the gear (ln3 "vin c" issue)
Starts perfectly fine roughly half the time when it guesses TDC correctly

Thankfully wasted spark and injector wall wetting counter injectors and ignition firing 360*off

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I have no input, but I really wish I was switching to Holley right now instead of hot rodding my stock stuff. Just the universal support alone would be amazing.

Just curious. Would there be any benefit to switching to a hall effect sensor and trigger wheel with more teeth? I saw someone complaining about that on another forum which is the only reason I even questioned. If so, it would be slick if someone came up with a replacement wheel for stock sensors and balancers.

• Care
Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Good to know! In your experience does the fueling correct itself pretty well?
Holley closed loop has as much swing as you let it have. I'd suggest leaving it at 100% to start and then using your logs to see how much it's off. Then once it gets the error roped in drop it to like 10 so you know if somethins wrong. Otherwise it'll try and dial in a problem real quick.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Ah that’s a good point. From how long it takes to fire I’m thinking it probably needs more cranking fuel to begin with.

As far as a higher resolution reluctor, I honestly have no idea. I’d imagine there is some benefit, otherwise why would stock stuff be using 58 tooth? That’s way beyond my current understanding tho.

Reactions: sktchy

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The Holley's self-learning on the fueling is like the stock PCM on steroids, it's has what is basically a short term fuel learn and a long term. If it sees a part of the fuel map that needs constant adjustment it will update the learn table and you can just apply it to the base map and go again. It learns so quick that a lot of people are saying you don't even need a flex fuel sensor but I'm using one anyway. As long as your base fuel map is pretty smooth it should be able to dial things in pretty much perfectly for fueling.

For cranking it's going to need about 2 revolutions before it will fire because it has to wait for the cam signal, but if it's sitting there kinda half-firing you'll probably want to make a few changes. I feel like mine is relatively dialed in on my GP at this point but I do want to work on the cold startup to see if I can make it behave more like my truck does haha. Also keep in mind that if you're running E85 it will need even more cranking fuel when it's cold.
This is what mine looks like in my GP and I haven't had a day yet where it didn't fire up right away.
6droEpX.png

About the crank trigger, there's a lot of people running V8's using the MSD flying magnet setup which is only 4 crank triggers and they're seeming to have no problem with the low resolution from it. I think the idle timing has to suffer a little bit if you ask me but it works pretty well otherwise.

Just curious. Would there be any benefit to switching to a hall effect sensor and trigger wheel with more teeth? I saw someone complaining about that on another forum which is the only reason I even questioned. If so, it would be slick if someone came up with a replacement wheel for stock sensors and balancers.

Funny you should mention this because I've been working on making something like that myself the last few weeks lol
This is an early design that has a couple kinks but I think I'm getting close to something I could sell if people are interested.
YZHiWIb.jpeg

If this works out you wouldn't need a cam sensor to get the engine to fire if you use batch injection I believe since it has a missing tooth. Both are supported by the Holley and then with our cranks if there's an issue and you want to go back to the 3x signal you'd still be able to do that.

Thread Info