🔧 BUILD Twincharged 3800 Malibu

General Information

Figured I’d finally start a build thread for this stupid thing seeing as how it’s 99% “done”. I’ll try to update with the backlog of pictures I have when I get the time, and I’ll do my best to answer questions.

I finally tracked down a pair of seats that match the oxblood interior for a decent price yesterday, and I’m very happy with how they mock up. These are 370Z 40th anniversary seats. I’ll have to build some pads/brackets for them, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.

AB67E24A-BCEB-42D1-B821-C2959F752DF9.jpeg
Here’s what the car looked like last time it was in one piece and moving under its own power. At this point it was controlled by a w body pcm, had a th350, had a bunch of questionable wiring and plumbing, and was overall just kind of a mess. But it ran and drove.

The basics of the current setup are:
-Twincharged with stock heavily modified gen V m90 and T4 S475
-w2a intercooled
-zzp st5 cam
-terminator x
-4l80e
-1400cc injectors and twin racetronix 340s on e85
-boxed and braced frame
-9 inch

I’ve done everything but the stainless and aluminum welding.

3267C708-46A4-4ACF-B705-95680A07127F.jpeg

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Don't be a pussy, I'll fire off straight pipes at 3 am on a Friday morning once in a while to keep my neighbors on their toes.
I used to, but one of my neighbors is an “I’m calling the cops” guy. Fat ass retiree with nothing better to do than sit around looking for stuff to get mad about. He’s bitched at me for using power tools on a Sunday. He knows all the laws and local ordinances and whatnot, so it’s easier to just not give him any reason to interact with me.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I used to, but one of my neighbors is an “I’m calling the cops” guy. Fat ass retiree with nothing better to do than sit around looking for stuff to get mad about. He’s bitched at me for using power tools on a Sunday. He knows all the laws and local ordinances and whatnot, so it’s easier to just not give him any reason to interact with me.
No power tools on Sundays? 🤣 That's a new one.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
This is sweet, and I second that those seats are money!
Thanks! I’m trying to decide how to actually mount them. I’m thinking bend some brackets out of 1/8” steel, weld on studs, and then weld those to the floorpan so I don’t have to modify the seat rails.

I’m not sure if I should worry about reinforcing the floor where I’m welding in the brackets. It’s solid, but I think it’s 18 ga at best.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
I’m getting my ass kicked a bit here. I cannot get it to want to fire.

What I’m running into right now is a weak/incorrect crank signal.

I’ve confirmed good 12v and ground at crank sensor, and good connection from sensor plug to terminator harness plug.

I’ve taken a couple data logs and I’m seeing 120-130 RPMs while cranking. The battery is fully charged, and it certainly sounds like it is cranking faster than that.

The best I can figure is either the sensor is bad or I have some parameter set incorrectly in the tune.

Hmmmmmmm…

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Sorry, in my frustration I left out a lot of details.

I’m using Terminator X.
3800 V6, ignition parameters:
LS coils, factory crank & cam sensors.
Firing Order to 5,4,3,2,1,6
Custom Ignition
Crank - 1 Pulse/Fire - Digital Rising
Ignition Reference Angle 75° and using the 3x reluctor on balancer.
Cam - Single Pulse - Digital Falling
Inductive Delay - 100
(This is information I found on the Holley forum from someone successfully running a 3800 on an HP)

I am getting LED 6 and 7 (crank and cam sense) flashing blue/green for about four seconds when I crank, and then 6 will turn red. It will not attempt to fire. Datalog while cranking shows max cranking RPM of 133 RPM. The battery is charged and it sounds like it is cranking at normal speed.

Crank sensor has good ground, is getting 12v with key on and cranking.

Thread Info