🔧 BUILD Twincharged 3800 Malibu

General Information

Figured I’d finally start a build thread for this stupid thing seeing as how it’s 99% “done”. I’ll try to update with the backlog of pictures I have when I get the time, and I’ll do my best to answer questions.

I finally tracked down a pair of seats that match the oxblood interior for a decent price yesterday, and I’m very happy with how they mock up. These are 370Z 40th anniversary seats. I’ll have to build some pads/brackets for them, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.

AB67E24A-BCEB-42D1-B821-C2959F752DF9.jpeg

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Okay, so I’m finally going to have some time to screw with this again today. I settled down a bit and came up with a plan.

First, test cam and crank sensors. I assume these test the same as the inducer proving Hall effect sensors I’m used to testing. Rotate engine over manually and look for 6ish VDC 3x per revolution on crank and 1x per revolution on cam.

Check spark. Check coil harness.

If that passes, shield wiring. I have the wiring to the cam and crank exposed right now because I had to modify the harness. I didn’t think this would be a big enough issue to keep it from starting, but maybe it is.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
FSMs say they're hall effect, I'm 99% confident I gave mine 12v too on my GP. No idea what the output voltage is but this video is pretty cool for visualizing the crank sensor:

I agree with everything mentioned, my guess is it's a wiring issue somewhere like a loose wire or something but I wouldn't rule out an issue with the ECU itself too. I've heard there were a few instances of this on the Holley groups recently.
I also read somewhere about a 5v sensor like a map sensor causing a no-start too, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Reactions: ASlowV6

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
My most promising lead right now is a failed cam sensor causing the issue. Terminator X feeds the sensor 12v on the signal wire. 12v is present at the plug while not plugged in. With sensor plugged in, there is 0v through the full 360 rotation of the engine by hand.

Reactions: bs009

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Wait what is you t chain, cover, number and type of gaskets?

I've had the oem magnet fall outta the rm dbl sprocket, you kinda have to reform the tabs for it to be snug and not be able to walk side to side and stick to the back of the sprocket.

Look through cmp hole and roll it over 720* while you have it out to test with a dropped socket wand magnet

Reactions: ASlowV6 and bs009

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
It’s a double roller, and it’s been a while since I put it together but I think I just used double oem timing cover gaskets.

That’s great info. I’ll check that before I buy a new sensor. I’d think I can probably visually see it if I take the water pump pulley off right?

Thread Info