🔧 BUILD Twincharged 3800 Malibu

General Information

Figured I’d finally start a build thread for this stupid thing seeing as how it’s 99% “done”. I’ll try to update with the backlog of pictures I have when I get the time, and I’ll do my best to answer questions.

I finally tracked down a pair of seats that match the oxblood interior for a decent price yesterday, and I’m very happy with how they mock up. These are 370Z 40th anniversary seats. I’ll have to build some pads/brackets for them, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.

AB67E24A-BCEB-42D1-B821-C2959F752DF9.jpeg

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I guess I just went through alot of bs to get a sniper to work right with a hyperspark and run it's own timing and they're really particular and sometimes the directions are off from what makes it actually run. Assuming it's similar I remember Somethin about a brown and green and gray wire that were my culprits with that.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
I really don’t think so. I’ve tried grounding to the ECU, grounding to the battery, running shielded wire, trying to start it with my fluorescent lights off, removing the alternator exciter wire… I’ve done tests turning the engine over by hand and reading volts with my meter, a test light test, and now this oscilloscope test. I’ve tried setting the cam sensor parameter to “not used” and running batch fire. I’m getting no RPM signal whatsoever.

Reactions: sktchy

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
The signal and reference wires were flip flopped and that has been corrected. I have a double roller. I verified the magnet is there, but I guess I’m not sure if it’s too far back or not. I did verify 12v drops to zero on the cam sensor pin when I rotated the engine by hand, but I never tried to see what would happen with an oscilloscope.

Are you saying most 3800s are driving around with bad cam sensors?

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
The signal and reference wires were flip flopped and that has been corrected. I have a double roller. I verified the magnet is there, but I guess I’m not sure if it’s too far back or not. I did verify 12v drops to zero on the cam sensor pin when I rotated the engine by hand, but I never tried to see what would happen with an oscilloscope.

Are you saying most 3800s are driving around with bad cam sensors?
Yes and as long as they're under 4000 rpm which most are no one ever knows the difference if the icm picks up the crank signal and guesses with alpha n. This goes back to all the nightmares I had when my car ran perfect until I hit boost and then it would machine gun at me because timing was so retarded.

Reactions: ASlowV6

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Interesting. I guess with the dual reluctor the stock PCM should be able figure out where it’s at based on 18x pulses per 3x pulse window.

I wonder how vital the 10v reference that the sensors want to see is. I’m sending them 12v. I wonder if it would be worth it to hook them up to 5v and see what happens.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
The icm uses the cmp 1x and ckp 3x/18x to create a 7x signal to pcm for sequential injection
Tries to pin it at 10⁰ total timing when its a in a situation that it's not seeing a signal right?. I wanna say zeph said you don't even necessarily need pcm control for the icm to actually function and it made for easy testing on junkyard shit or somethin along those lines.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Tries to pin it at 10⁰ total timing when its a in a situation that it's not seeing a signal right?. I wanna say zeph said you don't even necessarily need pcm control for the icm to actually function and it made for easy testing on junkyard shit or somethin along those lines.

Yeah he has a video somewhere of him firing an engine hanging from a cherry picker with nothing but 12v and ground to the ignition harness, ether, and a bump to the starter lol.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Well, tried a new cam and crank sensor, hooking both to 5v rather than 12, and no change. Cam is triggering the LED on the ECU same as it was before. Crank sensor works the same on 5v as it did on 12, which is cool because it means I cut my harness in about ten different spots for no reason if this wasn’t a wiring issue.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
Holley got back with me today. Email said “it looks like there’s an internal ground fault on the O2 circuit.”

So, good to know there is a legitimate issue and I’m not just completely retarded. I know in the equipment I deal with (HVAC), ground faults can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated issues. It was not made clear how we move forward from here, but I’m hoping Holley will be cool and just take care of the problem.

ASlowV6

Regular
Sep 19, 2022
I went to go out the new ECU in and figured I’d check over a few things to make sure I don’t accidentally fry it. Found the ground side of the coil for my relay which powers my key-on bus bar was intermittent not making contact. Upon further inspection I found some wiring had been chewed. My antenna wire for my power steering pump module was also chewed. Cool.

Well anyway, I’m taking it as an opportunity to clean up my absolute shitshow of wiring. It was intended to be temporary just to get the car running anyway. I wanted to do a center console anyway since I’ve put these seats in, and the plan is to hide all my electronics inside the console.

I bought this off a guy locally for cheap. It’s out of a second gen F Body. I’m going to put cup holders in the front opening and a hinged armrest on the rear so I can access my electronics. And obviously it will be cleaned up and painted.

CD7A2FDF-B6BD-446B-8B09-F2C5B42511AC.jpeg

Thread Info