TV True Detective - Night Country (Season 4)

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I thought Hank cut out her tounge. As he could have been the first officer on The scene. Then remembered the delivery driver saw it in the beginning.

So then I thought the women did. Navarro was the first cop to see Annie's body. But someone in the community found her. So maybe one of the women took her tounge for some symbolic or ritual reason. Then the women planted it to make it easy for the police to link Annie to the station. But someone kept the tounge frozen for 5 years? Seems odd.

So I googled it. The writers left it vauge on purpose. Probably to leave it to the individual watcher to come up with their own idea. Leaving evidence towards a supernatural event. Evidence supported by the odd things the viewer sees. Even if the characters don't see it. Like the woman in the generator scene.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Sensed an X Files vibe to this season.
I sensed a lot of women power and poor writing. You have four men in the show. Hank, Peter, Anders, and Eddie. All are completely controlled by women. Anders and Eddie are basically sex objects for Danvers and Navarro. Anders is there to show how a man, her boss, is holding her career down and someone to tell her to back off the case. Which she gets to rebel against.

Besides the women are strong aspect, the writing wasn't that good. Not in a real-world based universe.

No reason for the dead group of scientists to have burned eyes and bleeding from their ears. There was no sun. So how did they get burned eyes? Also, why did the same thing happen to the other guy 30 years earlier? We got no answers from him.

Also, Lund was out there buried in snow/ice for 3 days. Yes, three days! It was 48 hours or so from when Danvers first got to the station. Then another day before they found the scientists. We are talking about Alaska in the last week of December. Gotta be negative degrees before the wind chill. The other bodies were frozen solid. But this guy isn't frozen or dead? Clarke even froze quickly in front of Navarro. Seems awfully convenient Lund lived that long.

Navarro is led to the small crack in the ice to find their underground lab by a voice. Could the voice be her inner dialog for a hunch she has? Maybe. Seems more supernatural.

So ya, it seems the writer left a lot open to the supernatural versus using facts and evidence. You can tell her inspiration came from the Dyatlov Pass incident. Where they aren't sure what happened to these hikers. Just lots of weird evidence and no conclusion. I think they finally said it was due to an avalanche. Then trying to tie in the first season of the series.

Why did Annie have a spiral tattoo? Makes no sense why she would have that random tattoo. Doesn't see that season 1 has anything to do with this season. It was only minutes before she died that she saw the animal bones in the ice. I don't get it.

Navarro shooting Wheeler is a copy of season 1. Using it as a device to show they have a bond and a secret together. Couldn't come up with a different bonding experience? I felt the character arcs and bonds were better in season 1.

And the thing that bugs me the most is the clue that breaks open the case is the same clue they had days ago! Come on! haha The handprint print with two partially missing fingers. I think I liked Rust in season 1 because he was dealing with demons after his loss of his daughter, his 4 years of undercover work, and the drugs he took when undercover. But you see his growth due to interactions with Hart and his family. And the dude was just the smartest one in the room. The fact that he gets the detectives interviewing him to get him beer is just incredible. Because as soon as he took his first sip of that beer, he knew anything he said was inadmissible. Fucking brilliant. Plus many more details in that season. Great writing without having to use the supernatural to explain things because you wrote yourself into a corner and can't tie things together.

So I think weak writing that had one purpose and it wasn't the plot.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Now In thinking about re-watching season 1
I just finished watching season 1 when Dark Country came out. It is such a great season. The character development, the story, the way it was told, and the resolution of not only the case but their story arch was great.

And the supernatural element had some visuals in the form of the woman in a ritual kind of display and the triangles made of branches. Until you get to the fort at the end when you see the braches and skulls making the Yellow King. But again, that was the doing of men in the cult who believed the teachings of the cult and the yellow king. It wasn't hinting that something supernatural was going on. It wasn't a way to leave unresolved strands of the story to be tied up by saying it was supernatural. The only time we saw any hint of something Rust or Hart saw that was supernatural was when Rust saw the spiral Carcosa(sp?). But that is even explained earlier because he says he has weird visions occasionally due to the drugs he took when he was undercover.

Reactions: Rico

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
  • Wow

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Not a damn thing. lol Like a few things that could have, and should have, been left out.

Also, I was thinking the other night that had they not fallen through the ice they would not have found the lab and Clarke. Good detective work be dammed. Let's be thankful it was luck that saved the day! Dumb

Also, I was thinking of the tongue. Clarke said he didn't have anything to do with the tongue. But he also lied and said he didn't have a hand in killing Annie. But in the visual of him telling the story, it looks like they show him choking her to death. So he lied. So makes me believe that he also lied about the tongue. He had access to the body, was the only one in the station after the scientists were all rounded up, and could have planted it before the driver got to the station. Maybe it was his way of clearing his conscious knowing that it would link the lab to her death. Giving him some closure. But they purposely left the tongue vague and unresolved. In season 1 they left you not knowing if there were other unfound victims or if there were more cult members still out there killing or not. But that works so much better than someone else responsible for the tongue. This season was ok. Just so many things that I am not a fan of. Felt like lazy writing.

Thread Info