• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Time to nut up - ZL1 mods/cost questions.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Hi there, me again.

So yeah its time to start doing some real mods to my ZL1. I already have the DRs and a rotofab dry CAI. But this car is REALLY being held back by the stock tune. And in talking with several shops it looks like a tune only is not going to cut it since you really need to disable cat over temp protections to make decent power.

You know what that means. Headers. Those are NOT CHEAP for this car. 2" American Racing headers and an offroad X is $2500. Then I will be lowering boost, so to make up for it I need a lower pulley.

The best I have been getting with trusted shops in my area are $6700 installed for those headers, lower pulley, plugs/wire and street/dyno tuning.

That should net 60-80 to the wheels. The car is still going to need a TCM swap to be able to tune the trans. So we are hard capped around 700 to the tire because the TCM will step in and close the throttle if you go beyond a calculated tq value it has.

Does this seem worth it? Stock these make 560ish to the tire and after should make 620ish maybe 630. But these are all foundational mods that are needed for the next steps. Being cam, heads and maybe a maggie or whipple.

E85 is nowhere near me so thats not really an option. Im just struggling with crossing this bridge for that much money for 60hp, even though its necessary for more power.

Opinions?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If he plans to take it further though at some point, it's really not insane.

I don't know much about the platform which is why I ask. $2,500 on exhaust to gain 60-80 rhwp doesn't make sense to me if he can simply just run more boost. That $2,500 is just parts not the added labor. On modern boosted cars long tubes are often known to be a low in terms of effectiveness when comes to horsepower per dollar.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Why even mod it at all? It will be gone in 1 or 2 months anyways....
Why even post if you have nothing of value to add?

ben carson t GIF

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
The goals are open ended as they always are with project cars. I want to run deep 10s. Then I’m sure I’ll be shooting for 9s. Then who knows. I’d like to end up with full bolt ons and a Maggie it whipple. But headers are necessary for any route intake.

And no there are no plans to sell this one. I made that mistake with the last ZL1 and missed it ever since. 23 is the last of basically all the modern gas muscle cars and I’m happy to have one before they are all gone.

But for mods everything I’m doing will stay through out the next few gens of mods. Eventually I’d like to make 850 to the tire. Maybe more without turning it into a racecar.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I’m assuming your going after a et number, you say 60whp but peak hp is somewhat irrelevant if your picking up huge numbers under the curve and knocking big time off your 1/4, now if 60hp gains you 2-3 tenths I’d say not worth it, if you knock 3/4 of a second off worth every penny

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
He mentions in the OP, that there are cat overheat protections. So just tuning it and ramping up the boost with a pulley sounds like it pushes close to those thresholds. So that might be why he's looking at better flowing exhaust components and moving the converters down the way a little bit to help.

Reactions: greasy

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
He mentions in the OP, that there are cat overheat protections. So just tuning it and ramping up the boost with a pulley sounds like it pushes close to those thresholds. So that might be why he's looking at better flowing exhaust components and moving the converters down the way a little bit to help.
Bingo. Thats the root of all problems with these cars. The protections in the tune. If you cant disable those, then you are going to keep hitting power walls no matter how much boost you add. That and the TCM is a problem. There are tq thresholds in the TCM that need to be 999'd out in order to stop the TCM from closing the throttle.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah Im probably going to call the shop today and set this in motion. Its about $4300 in parts and I'll need to pay that upfront. Then when they come in, I can get on the schedule and get them all installed.

I really want a cam at some point too. But thats not next. Next would be the TCM module swap to the older version so the trans can be tuned. Thats a big expense. Thats $2500 for the module/unlocked and installed. Its burried behind all the rads in the front end.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Yeah Im probably going to call the shop today and set this in motion. Its about $4300 in parts and I'll need to pay that upfront. Then when they come in, I can get on the schedule and get them all installed.

I really want a cam at some point too. But thats not next. Next would be the TCM module swap to the older version so the trans can be tuned. Thats a big expense. Thats $2500 for the module/unlocked and installed. Its burried behind all the rads in the front end.
Shoulda bought a GT500, pulley, CAI, tune and possibly a Jokerz ported blower....

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Do a jokers ported blower
If I were to stick with the stock blower, it would be a Kong X port. But believe it or not the stock blower is only a 1.7L. And for that port plus shipping back and forth, you are half way to a maggie 2650. And that blower will make 1200. Plus for the stock blower, I could easily sell it on FB marketplace for $2500. They are a big buy for SS guys who want to transplant them on the LT1. The Maggie is like $7k. Minus back the $2500, thats not bad at all.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Shoulda bought a GT500, pulley, CAI, tune and possibly a Jokerz ported blower....
Lol those have their own set of issues. I've been following PBD on their shop cars and customer cars and they are 2x the price into mods to make those big numbers. Im starting $30k less in car alone and way less mods to boot. The ZL1 is the best bang for your buck to start with thats for sure. Once the maggie or whipple go on, the GT500 head start is gone.

The stock blower record for a ZL1 is like 8.60et.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info