🔧 BUILD The Replacement for the Cobra. V: “Greasy’s Fuck Your Blower-Coyote, Super-Secret Stick-Shift Hellcat Build”

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Thanks dude, still need to figure out the driveshaft piece. Right now there is only one company that offers a 2 piece design for the manual Hellcats and that is Mark Williams. The driveshaft alone cost $3,254.

There are other companies that offer 1 piece designs, but they all have some sort of vibration issue at times in the 65-80mph range. I don't want that. I need to have a conversation with Wiles, supposedly they are making a 2 piece but not sure how close they are to completion.

I guess a 2 piece is necessary due to the length from the trans to the diff and the 1 piece units reach critical speed, which is what causes the issue.

I ended up with a Wiles one piece. I had to grind on the shifter and shim the trans crossmember to it to fit right. The DriveShaft Shop might be the best fitment-wise, but their vendors lie about having the DS is stock when they are drop shipping, so actually getting one in hand is tricky.

The Wiles had a slight vibration right at 80 miles on hour, but it seems to have gone away after driving a few hundred miles or so.

Reactions: greasy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I ended up with a Wiles one piece. I had to grind on the shifter and shim the trans crossmember to it to fit right. The DriveShaft Shop might be the best fitment-wise, but their vendors lie about having the DS is stock when they are drop shipping, so actually getting one in hand is tricky.

The Wiles had a slight vibration right at 80 miles on hour, but it seems to have gone away after driving a few hundred miles or so.

I was hoping you would pop in here! I couldn't remember what you were running.

Do you have the 3.5" or 4"? Did you buy brand new?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I was hoping you would pop in here! I couldn't remember what you were running.

Do you have the 3.5" or 4"? Did you buy brand new?
It was a new 4". The problem with it was the weld for the front U-joint was directly under the shifter. The weld bead is the widest part of the driveshaft, so it's in the worst place it could be. ½" forward or back would be fine.

Supposedly this is only an issue with a Barton shifter, but my car still has a stock shifter. Lucky me.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
Thanks dude, still need to figure out the driveshaft piece. Right now there is only one company that offers a 2 piece design for the manual Hellcats and that is Mark Williams. The driveshaft alone cost $3,254.

There are other companies that offer 1 piece designs, but they all have some sort of vibration issue at times in the 65-80mph range. I don't want that. I need to have a conversation with Wiles, supposedly they are making a 2 piece but not sure how close they are to completion.

I guess a 2 piece is necessary due to the length from the trans to the diff and the 1 piece units reach critical speed, which is what causes the issue.
Exactly do it right the first time. I have a Demon DS I need to install in mine..Maybe I'll stop by and we'll have a DS install party..?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Be careful with Suburban Driveline I had them machine the custom yolk to get the 700 R4 to work with the Toyota 7.1 inch rear end and it looks like they measured everything with a tape measure and drilled the holes on a drill press with a bent drill bit.

I gave them the yolk from the rear end as well as the drive shaft pieces and I still had to drill the holes out larger to be able to even install bolts. They had the mating peace there with them and they still didn't get the center register diameter right

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Be careful with Suburban Driveline I had them machine the custom yolk to get the 700 R4 to work with the Toyota 7.1 inch rear end and it looks like they measured everything with a tape measure and drilled the holes on a drill press with a bent drill bit.

I gave them the yolk from the rear end as well as the drive shaft pieces and I still had to drill the holes out larger to be able to even install bolts. They had the mating peace there with them and they still didn't get the center register diameter right

God damn it James, confidence right out the window! ;)

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I considered Suburban, but thought if I went with someone with experience making Hellcat driveshafts, there would be no problems. The DDS seems to be the only one that has a "off the shelf" standard model. It's a second design to is supposed to have less vibrations.

CCI and Wiles both made me a DS that was a little different (new and improved?) than their usual. Both interfered with the shifter (maybe it's just my car). I believe the DSS is very narrow under the shifter.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I considered Suburban, but thought if I went with someone with experience making Hellcat driveshafts, there would be no problems. The DDS seems to be the only one that has a "off the shelf" standard model. It's a second design to is supposed to have less vibrations.

CCI and Wiles both made me a DS that was a little different (new and improved?) than their usual. Both interfered with the shifter (maybe it's just my car). I believe the DSS is very narrow under the shifter.
You would think in 6 years someone would have one flawless that wasn't a fortune..

Reactions: b4black and greasy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
For my custom driveshaft, I used VRN Welding in Lake Bluff. He made a chromoly driveshaft and used Strange hardware. The welds are beautiful and I thought it was relatively cheap. That shop does a lot of welding and fab work for Strange, so their stuff is top notch.

Appreciate the recommendation! How much was it if you don’t mind me asking? If you want you can shoot me a PM.

Thread Info