Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So I'll just say this about pizza or any kind, if it's not good without toppings then it's a hard pass for me.

How about Detroit style pizza, I've personally never had it, but I want to try it:
View attachment 83592

Shield's is what we hit up whenever I'm in Detroit.

Their website isn't working right now, but their fecesbook page. Since I'm going out there for Woodward, it's usually the Southfield location we frequent.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Someone say Detroit style? Fiamme in Naperville.

large.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Fiamme used to only serve Neapolitan style pizza but they added a new oven for Detroit style, and are currently experimenting with a pan style. Back when they were training their kitchen for Detroit style, you could call at the end of the day and pick up some free pizza after their training session.

They also operate a ghost kitchen called Interno Forno that takes their regular menu and goes crazy. The regular menu is more like modern, fun Italian, but their ghost kitchen is mostly experimental; Voodoo wings, Truffle asiago wings, bacon jam smoked gouda pizza, chorizo sweet corn puree pizza.

We give them lots of money :rofl:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So I went back to the first place I had out here, Bella Rosa (see post #12). Just a no name place up north. Got myself 2 slices of cheese again.

Last time i had to wait for a fresh cheese pie to cook to get my slice. This time they had 3 slices in the case, so I grabbed two of those. In most places in NY, they don't have the pizzas that are out in a warmer. It just chills out in ambient temperature. Then they put them in the oven and re-cook them. My experience has shown me that when this is the case, ask for it well done, so that's what I did.

Talk about a night and day difference from last time. This pizza was crispy, crunchy, good consistency from the cheese. The sauce is still pretty bland, but I can cover that with red pepper flakes. Just an overall good slice. And only $3 a slice is hard to beat.

NY pizza is weird; pizza that has been sitting out and then re-cooked is actually *better* than fresh out of the oven. That's such an odd concept to me. I think that might be the key to enjoying pizza here. Don't order full pizzas. Get slices. Get ones that aren't fresh and then ask them to overcook it when it goes back in.

I'm genuinely surprised I liked it as much as I did. I'll definitely be back. I liked this more than Joe's.

Score: 8/10

20210323_183915.jpeg

I think it might be time to start trying Sicilian slices. More to come.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Sbarro always does the "put it back in the overn for a minute or two" since they keep it out on the counter.
Yeah a lot of the NY style places do. Some Chicago slice places do as well. It's almost like if you order a whole pizza, do so in advance, let it cool a bit then reheat it at home. It'll be better that way.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We sorta did that at the place I worked at. We lightly pre-cook it and then sell them as "par-bake's" and at the begining of the pandemic they sold quite well. I know that's not the same as what they're doing here by the slice. But it did prove a popular option.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
We sorta did that at the place I worked at. We lightly pre-cook it and then sell them as "par-bake's" and at the begining of the pandemic they sold quite well. I know that's not the same as what they're doing here by the slice. But it did prove a popular option.
I've done a few parbaked before. It works really well for deep dish. Never tried on thin crust.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Fiamme used to only serve Neapolitan style pizza but they added a new oven for Detroit style, and are currently experimenting with a pan style. Back when they were training their kitchen for Detroit style, you could call at the end of the day and pick up some free pizza after their training session.

They also operate a ghost kitchen called Interno Forno that takes their regular menu and goes crazy. The regular menu is more like modern, fun Italian, but their ghost kitchen is mostly experimental; Voodoo wings, Truffle asiago wings, bacon jam smoked gouda pizza, chorizo sweet corn puree pizza.

We give them lots of money :rofl:

We’ve been trying new Pizza places every Friday. I think I just found this weeks pick. The menu looks great.

Reactions: Bru

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Have you tried Little Pop's? It's more NY style, big floppy slices. But better; crispier crust, options for well done and garlic crust, garlic knots, etc.

Yes I enjoy Little Pops. The garlic knots are great.

My wife isn’t a huge fan of NY style so we don’t order a ton from there.

Have you tried Freedom Brothers on Rt 59 and 119th?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yes I enjoy Little Pops. The garlic knots are great.

My wife isn’t a huge fan of NY style so we don’t order a ton from there.

Have you tried Freedom Brothers on Rt 59 and 119th?

I haven't. When we first moved out of the city 3 years ago, we spent a lot of time trying new places that best mirrored our favorite pizza in the city, and landed on Fiamme and Little Pop's so we haven't really ventured out too much beyond those two.

Thread Info