Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'm a member of a FB Chicago pizza group, and a guy who I respect a lot has been sharing pics and reviews of Milly's. It's definitely a place I will be trying soon.

So I got a pie from Gigios, from 'za from them in about 15 years. Was a B+ for me.

176870147_10226003633026094_1575502661927797791_n.jpg
Only pizza I ever put ketchup on lol. They had another spot in Albany Park like 25yrs ago.
I'd get their slices and was always high or drunk, so take it for what its worth lol.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm a member of a FB Chicago pizza group, and a guy who I respect a lot has been sharing pics and reviews of Milly's. It's definitely a place I will be trying soon.

So I got a pie from Gigios, from 'za from them in about 15 years. Was a B+ for me.

176870147_10226003633026094_1575502661927797791_n.jpg
Yeha I'm gunna need details on the FB Chicago pizza group thannnnkkkkks

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Milly's Pizza, was outstanding. It's similar to Pequods and just a little bit better.

186496941_10226170575319547_463032637199087170_n.jpg

ooh. this looks like one i'd like to try.

my favorite place on my island is shut down until october i think.

in my pizza journeys i have a tough time placing any general category above chicago thin crunchy tavern style for me.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I really like Pequods (half dough though).

It's just a little better. Milly's guy is just himself making a set number of pizzas per day. Tight quality control.
Ohhh that is the place I asked about a few posts up, I remember the name now. Yeah I was reading there is like a waiting list that's like days/weeks long. Any truth to that?

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
No, you just go to the ordering page, and pick a slot. Best to look a few days before. I picked mine up. I got there, texted the # as instructed and someone came out with the pizza.

I have to say it's so good, we ate it record time. And I wanted another so bad.

Again I'm not knocking Pequods, love their pizza. I bet this guy does 10% of the biz they do.

Reactions: blue-sun

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Went to Pizza Lobo in Logan Square tonight. Went with a friend of ours, place they recommended. Looked it up in advance, and it didn't look like my typical type of pizza. Wood-fired or Brick Oven style. Wasn't exactly thrilled about going there but went anyways.

Ordered just a cheese pizza, per usual. Came out and I was actually surprised. The cheese wasn't soupy, it was cooked properly and had a nice crust. Crust held up well and even though the idiots at the table next to us folded their slice (where are we New York?) it wasn't necessary at all.

I think the east coast ruined my thoughts about super thin crust. I honestly think it's 100% the cheese. Wisconsin cheese is 2nd to none, and it really makes a difference. Chicago even does east coast pizza better than the east coast.

It's hard to justify coming back to a place like this when there are 1000 examples of better pizza everywhere you look in the city. But for this style of pizza, I was pleasantly surprised.

Score: 7.5/10

20210528_201444.jpeg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks interesting will check it out.

But saying Chicago does East Coast better than the East Coast are the words of a madman. In the Chicago FB Pizza group I'm in we've all gradually learned to accept there are 6+ types of pizza and just grade them on their own merits.

It's true though. East coast cheese is garbage. It's always so greasy and ruins the pizza. It gets so soupy its disgusting. The sauce is always so sweet. The crust usually has no structural integrity.

Yes, there are several distinct styles of pizza. This one fits that woodfire east coast Connecticut style. I'm not saying this is the best pizza ever as it was just okay, but it was better than almost every type of pizza I had out there (Sally's being the exception).

We just have better ingredients, cooks, etc here.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
We all have a bias, after all, we tend to love the food we grew up eating. I grew up in NJ and MA, I have a huge bias for East coast thin crust. Funny we agree on Sally's that was a top 10 pizza for me had a couple of years ago.

I've yet to really find a Chicago thin crust I like, I do like LM's thin crust but I don't think their style is representative for the majority. Planning to hit up Pat's on Lincoln again soon, and someday I'll try Barnaby's.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I've yet to really find a Chicago thin crust I like, I do like LM's thin crust but I don't think their style is representative for the majority. Planning to hit up Pat's on Lincoln again soon, and someday I'll try Barnaby's.
Ever try D'Agostinos on Addison and Southport? Thats my favorite, but you have to be a fan of pizza sauce on the sweeter side.
If your not a fan of the sweeter type of sauce then you will probably hate it.

Thread Info