Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
im curious why you're ordering straight cheese?
Toppings add an additional variable. I've had solid pizzas that are totally ruined by bad toppings, and I've had bad pizza salvaged by good toppings. I don't want that to influence the pizza. Cheese is the best baseline for that.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I grew up in NJ and MA, so I prefer Northeast-style pizza, it's the best. Doesn't matter if it's NY, NJ, MA, DE, CT, Eastern PA, lots of great pizza options. Locally we go to Jimmy's Pizza (Lincoln & Foster), it's pretty decent.

Jimmy's is great. I used to live down the street at Foster and Wolcott. Possibly better than anything I had in NYC proper :rofl:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Had another place up in Yonkers today. This was at an Italian restaurant that happened to have pizza. Place called Giannas.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot considering my experience so far in NY. I was pleasantly surprised though. I just got an individual pizza, and just grabbed it with only cheese. It was one of those brick oven types. Slightly different than what I'd expect from NYC pizza, but also pretty damn common.

The Pizza was cooked perfectly (burnt). It had a nice crisp crust and the perfect amount of cheese (not so much that it was greasy and falling all over the place). The sauce was the worst part, but it's just how they do things out here. It's essentially just tomato sauce, which is a lot sweeter than what I'd want on a pizza. This wasn't a deal breaker here. A little red pepper and parmesan cheese and we are in business.

This place is super convenient for me, because it's downstairs from the pharmacy that I'm working with. It seems like I'm probably going to be here for a while, so I'll likely be spending a lot of time getting this pizza.

Score: 7.5/10 going to brach out and get some toppings next time.

20210310_123939.jpeg

Thread Info