Food / Drink The Official Pizza Review Thread

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
The appetizers there look legit but the pizza doesn't look like something I'd get excited for. Let us know how it is. With Photos too!

Dude I know.

I miss White cottage

Tobey Maguire Reaction GIF

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm out in Grand Rapids, MI today and had to try the "world famous" inventor of Detroit style pizza, Buddy's.

This isn't the original location, that's in Detroit, so it's hard to say whether or not it's a good representation.

We ordered the 8 square pizza, just cheese. Pizza came out pretty quickly. Its a square pan pizza (thinner than Chicago Deep) with a caramelized crust. The sauce is poured on top of the pizza. The sauce has an incredible taste. The cheese is top tier, and the crust has a great consistency to it. My biggest gripe, as with lots of Detroit Style, is that the just glob all the sauce in the middle of this pizza instead of trying to give the pizza good coverage. The edges of the pizza kind of feel like cheesy bread instead of pizza.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the pizza. It's not Chicago style good (and not even close to the Burt Katz style, which takes cues from Detroit) but definitely worthy of coming back.

Score: 8/10

20220220_121843.jpeg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the globbed in the middle sauce thing is part of the Detroit style charm.

Here is Shield's, a well regard Detroit place we'd hit when out there for Woodward.

photo1jpg.jpg
So, that's fine. I don't mind them running two or so lines across each side. This one was all globbed once across the center of the whole pie. Corners get basically no sauce.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
With all the praise given to HRI here, I might have to step out and grab a frozen one or two to try this weekend.
I cant fucking stand them, the Wife and my son like them. They smell like vomit and taste like shit imo.
I'd rather eat an Aldi frozen pie.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I cant fucking stand them, the Wife and my son like them. They smell like vomit and taste like shit imo.
I'd rather eat an Aldi frozen pie.
Really????

Guess the praise ain't worth shit :rofl:

So what would be your recommendation on a frozen? I've done way too many digiorno pizza (cheese stuffed crust, rising crust, etc). Wanted to go for something different.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Really????

Guess the praise ain't worth shit :rofl:

So what would be your recommendation on a frozen? I've done way too many digiorno pizza (cheese stuffed crust, rising crust, etc). Wanted to go for something different.
Just my opinion bro. Different strokes for different folks, you might love HRI.
I very rarely turn down pizza, but I refuse to eat HRI frozen pies.
I'm simple, I will eat just about any other frozen pie dont really have a favorite. Tombstone or Jacks is just fine for me.
Grew up on those cheap ass Totinos and will still eat them lol.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Just my opinion bro. Different strokes for different folks, you might love HRI.
I very rarely turn down pizza, but I refuse to eat HRI frozen pies.
I'm simple, I will eat just about any other frozen pie dont really have a favorite. Tombstone or Jacks is just fine for me.
Grew up on those cheap ass Totinos and will still eat them lol.
Funny you mentioned Tombstone. When Meijer has them on sale I'll stock up on those. Can get like 3 of them for the price of one DiGiorno.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info