I miss white cottage

Feelings Reaction GIF

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
If you like it hot, try Flat Iron Pepper Company red pepper. It's a game changer.
So I ordered the four pepper blend, dark and smokey, and got a sweet heat as a free bonus. Took the four pepper and dark and smokey over to family pizza night at my parents last night. Both are really good, the dark and smoky paired well with a sacrilege bbq pizza we get. I woke up at 5 am with a pretty bad stomach ache and took an absolute o-ring scorching dump. Overall I’m a big fan and it probably didn’t help that I drank half a pot of coffee right before we went over.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I might be a bit weird on pizza, but I have tried a lot.

WalMart brand frozen rising crusts are pretty damn good for less than $3 a piece. I favor the thicker crust over thin, and these are great.

HRI is still king of frozen, though. I can't stand the cheap Jack's/Rosati's shit.

For dine in, Italian Pizza Kitchen in Roselle is decent. We get there every so often.

Pal Joey's is another great thick crust. Haven't ever tried their other styles. They're in West Chicago and Batavia.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Since we are pizza chattin'... In my quest to try every NY style pizza place in Chicago, I tried Dante's on Diversey. It did not make into my top rotation. If I was literally a block away I'd get a slice but that's about it. It was like a sloppy NY style pizza but the flavor was not as good as my top three local places.. which are Jimmy's, Paulie Gee's, and Piece.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I might be a bit weird on pizza, but I have tried a lot.

WalMart brand frozen rising crusts are pretty damn good for less than $3 a piece. I favor the thicker crust over thin, and these are great.

HRI is still king of frozen, though. I can't stand the cheap Jack's/Rosati's shit.

For dine in, Italian Pizza Kitchen in Roselle is decent. We get there every so often.

Pal Joey's is another great thick crust. Haven't ever tried their other styles. They're in West Chicago and Batavia.
Pal Joey's pizza is basically a slightly better version of a similar Pizza Hut 'za without the zestier sauce of PH.

What Pal Joey's USED to be really good at is Fried Chicken. But that's another conversation.

Back on pizza, ordered Danny's on Douglas (Elgin), and this is the second or third time I've gotten it and the crust has a burnt flavor to it. I'm not talking the normal browning/crisping, just burnt.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Pal Joey's pizza is basically a slightly better version of a similar Pizza Hut 'za without the zestier sauce of PH.

What Pal Joey's USED to be really good at is Fried Chicken. But that's another conversation.
I know the pizza changed a bit...but from what it sounds like, everything was better before the business was taken over by Joey's son/nephew? Can't remember who the guys are now. I still remember talking to Joey, my family has been going there for the 36 years I've been alive and then some. I'd still put it way higher than a PH pie, though. I haven't had PH in forever.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes, they aren't as good as the once used to be. Not sure when it changed. We always had them cater when I worked for the WeGo school district and it was all good then.

Then when they opened in Batavia (in the old Charlie Fox's location), we went, had pizza and I was like WTF is this?! Since then they've moved out to Randall.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Oh man, tonight I tried my first ever Vito & Nicks. It was on sale at 2 for $10 so I figured why not try something new? I grabbed the sausage and the pizza actually resembles the pic on the box!! BIG ass chunks of sausage goodness! I added a touch more oregano and obviously way too much crushed red peppers and Parmesan, perfect. First time in like forever I didn’t even finish the whole thing. So full…

Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the actual pizza, I stuck my face right in like a pit bull because hungry.
IMG_4889.jpg

Reactions: Shawn1112

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Also, it was adequate. Dunno that I'd grab it again but wasn't bad. Burnt the fuck out of the roof of my mouth.

Ah, the one and only pro to having an upper partial. ZERO roof of mouth burnature! I can eat pizza right of the damn oven rack with welding gloves if I want! [emoji16]

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info