TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
What's etiquette if it snows like crazy all night? Are you supposed to wait for trail groomers, or do you just get on the trail whenever you want?

I haven't been on a trail in over 10 years, and never with my own snowmobile. Never ran into a situation where I was planning on going on a Sunday morning and it was expected to be in the middle of a snow storm.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
What's etiquette if it snows like crazy all night tomorrow night? Are you supposed to wait for trail groomers, or do you just get on the trail whenever you want?

I haven't been on a trail in over 10 years, and never with my own snowmobile. Never ran into a situation where I was planning on going on a Sunday morning and it was expected to be in the middle of a snow storm.

Got your Wisconsin safety class certificate if you are born after Jan 1st, 1985? Law enforcement will be out especially around the border. Groomers will be out for sure after a fresh snow fall. STAY ON THE TRAIL. It might be hard to see it at times especially if you are one of the first guys out. If its snowing obviously you have decreased visibility issues. If you come across the groomer pull to the side so he can get through unless he stops and waves you by.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Got your Wisconsin safety class certificate if you are born after Jan 1st, 1985? Law enforcement will be out especially around the border. Groomers will be out for sure after a fresh snow fall. STAY ON THE TRAIL. It might be hard to see it at times especially if you are one of the first guys out. If its snowing obviously you have decreased visibility issues. If you come across the groomer pull to the side so he can get through unless he stops and waves you by.
1983....so just made it!!

Reactions: PANDA and Yaj Yak

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Make sure your sled is registered too, not sure if insurance is mandatory but it's a good idea. I've also heard about people getting loud exhaust tickets. Would a speeding ticket on a sled count as a moving violation that goes on your driving record?
Yep, got my registration and trail pass. Actually don't have insurance, but to your point.... probably a good idea. I'll have to call my state farm guy.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Make sure your sled is registered too, not sure if insurance is mandatory but it's a good idea. I've also heard about people getting loud exhaust tickets. Would a speeding ticket on a sled count as a moving violation that goes on your driving record?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a speeding ticket on a sled. Unless at night.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Dude I got pulled over back like seven years ago and dude wrote my buddy a ticket for not enough reflective material on his sled

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
God damn with conditions getting worse fast up north every hour or so you got some karen on a Facebook group. "hOw aRe THe tRAiLs?!?" Fuck man The northwoods has had light snow cover all season. With exception of Mercer area, no other area really got any decent snow out of the last storm. Its also been warm and sunny for over a week. How the fuck do you think the trails are? We are also in MARCH now. I swear these people gotta be fucking first year riding newbs or are to lazy todo their own research. It does not take a rocket scientist to follow local snowmobile clubs in areas you ride and watch the weather. Most clubs update daily. I also ask the question. What is a good trail? A trail with snow on it? Yeah that's always good. Easy to find out of thats the case by following the weather or looking at snow depth charts. A trail that is smooth? Kinda fucking hard to predict. You can ride a fresh groomed trail out in the morning and come back in the evening with moguls. Conditions change FAST. Especially when its warm out. Use groomer tracking apps or follow clubs that actually post what trails were groomed the night before. Then if some fuck boy says "TrAILs aRe rUFF" you gonna stay home? LOL I get not wanting to spend money traveling up or on lodging but shit. Take chances and lower your standards. Being up north is also better than being at home.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
SOON

20210801_175954.jpeg

Reactions: Eagle

Thread Info