TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yeah did plugs and oil (fuck. that. filter.) Hyfax are brand new plus got a spare pair. Came with brand new StudyBoy 6" Shapers. Figure its a better loaner/backup than the 2000 SkiDoo Formula 500 in the corner of the barn.

How bad was the oil change? Usually on 4-stroke Yamaha's you need to take apart half the sled to get at the oil filter. :rofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I literally took the front half of the sled off. Like unbolted the frame.

Now I know why they state 12k mi interval for the filter.

It gets easier the more times you do it. Been dealing with Yamaha 4-strokes since 2003. I always change the oil and filter every season. Its just time, and if you are doing it yourself, fuck it. On the Sidewinders you have to remove the exhaust to access the drain plug im pretty sure. :poop:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
fUcK aDDinG oiL

bUY a 4sTroKe.

Id say 2-stroke is the way to go these days unless you are a high mileage rider and (or) have the ability to service your own machine. Id love to see a cost per mile review done with a similar 4-stroke verses 2-stroke model. Like Yamaha Viper verses whatever 2 stroke cat rebadge. The $30 Yamaha oil change kit is nice. Changing it yourself or paying a dealer is not. All I know is I rented a 2020 Indy 600 last year to try and went on a 230 mile ride. The dealer charges you for oil usage at $12.99 a quart for Polaris VES. Pretty sure they told me I used two quarts. :angrys00ls:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My maintenance is pretty light this year on my primary rider. (Apex). Needs seasonal oil change, and carbides. Had a bogey wheel go bad right before the last trip last season so replaced the remaining 4 original bogey wheels. So they match :rofl: Also replaced the transfer rod at the same time because it had a clunk. Although the new one even with good bushings also has a slight clunk so not sure that was a needed repair.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
It gets easier the more times you do it. Been dealing with Yamaha 4-strokes since 2003. I always change the oil and filter every season. Its just time, and if you are doing it yourself, fuck it. On the Sidewinders you have to remove the exhaust to access the drain plug im pretty sure. :poop:

I used a K&N filter on it, should make for easier work next go around with the nut on the end of the filter as its 100% impossible to get any tool on the housing without removing the front frame section. The filter is so short I didn't want to screwdriver method it either.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
SInce it ain't snowing ever I tore apart that 2007 Phazer and we painted it in Lexus Alabaster Metallic and Ferrari Nero Daytona, polished the tunnel some & put a modern snowflap on it.

1608003309134.png

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
What kind of sled you riding? Driveshaft bearing typically takes out the speedo cable so you know its bad.
I have an 02 Polaris 700 XCSP 121. I was planning on getting a 2 up or a long track but the China flu fucked that plan up. I ended up doing 10 wheels on the skid, the rear 3 are a different bearing so I have order those. Ported the reed cages and slapped Boysen reeds on them. The speedo cable actually broke, it was dented from when a belt broke apart. Doing the driveshaft bearing anyway as it's starting to go. Cant wait for some white stuff

Resized_20201216_172411_2222.jpeg

Resized_20201216_172341_2506.jpeg

Resized_20201216_172444_4597.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean it was in a sled but ultimately it was a bike motor that had been around.

The other brands 4 strokes back then? Ewww

it wasn't revolutionary though, it didn't "change the game" as 2 stroke sleds remained a thing.

rider forward is/was revolutionary as basically the only sleds that didn't follow suit, are random utility shit.

Thread Info