TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Has to be a weekend because of work/PTO/family considerations. But thanks for that tip! The oil, the smell, the bucking, etc let’s you know you riding a machine! Anyway, Pulled the trigger on the 2 stroke 600 Sport. Non refundable deposit made! Will be on the trails Feb 22/23/24. On a side note, these rental prices are all over the place. Really gotta do your research and find the right establishment. Some charge you to keep the sled overnight for multi-day rentals, some don’t. One place wanted an extra $300 to keep the “Viper” overnight. The hours these places are open differ, what they consider a “day rental” differs greatly! Could be 24hrs, could be 9am-7pm. Some offer helmets/bibs, some don’t, etc...

Did some more reading and another article said that a 4 stroke would need to be 1000cc to have the same power as a 600 2 stroke. I want that 2 stroke powaaa. If the sled is not as fast as the Arctic Cats we rode, I’m going to be disappointed.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Living vicariously through my buddy again

IMG_6891.jpg
IMG_6899.jpg
IMG_6896.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Went full NERD and created my own maps. Printed, tagged up, and going to be laminated. Wasn't very hard but took me about 8hrs to create the 10 pages of maps I need. Using the ARCGIS online mapping software, Google Earth and Google Maps I tracked down all the gas stations and measured trail distances. It's hard to find all the gas stations in the Yupper because Google results only show about 20% of what's really out there. Many of the Bars/Restaurants/Resorts have their own pumps you just need to know which ones. For towns that didn't show a gas station, I called the local Post Office or a local motel and asked them if there was a gas station in town.

Example: A gas station around the White Pines area was critical for me. A quick Google search shows a Mobil, no phone number, but the Google photo shows a Mobil with cars pulling in/out. A Google Earth search shows what looks to be a deserted establishment. A quick phone call and chat with the lady at the Konteka Resort across the street revealed that the Mobil is closed, but Konteka has their own pump, till 10pm. It's now on the map!

That ARGIS Mapping Software is the shit! I would really recommend it. Google: ARCGIS Michigan Snowmobile Maps

IMG_0291.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
if i had 16k burning a hole in my pocket id be aiming for ace 900 turbo enduro

cq5dam.web.1322.1322.png

no payments til spring 2020!

4 year warranty is enticing too...
Those new Turbo 900s are apparently stupid fast.
Tune only 900s are picking up huge gains.

giphy.gif

1582289703605.png

Reactions: crooks

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just got back from the Yupper. It was awesome. A little warmer then it should have been, but better then ice cold. We tore up and down those trails. Blew a belt at 2am half way up the northbound 109. We covered 730 miles during our 48hr rental. Full throttle whenever possible. Guy from the rental place was not impressed. Instead he was down right pissed. Telling us “Next time you come up here don’t rent from me”.

At home now and sitting in the kitchen, I swear I can hear a 2 stroke out there.

2B045837-7878-4717-BE96-4762740F4372.jpeg

ECE64435-C003-4E6E-B695-8C3A44569787.jpeg

04ABA5C8-E5E7-4A54-B082-1E8A962A7662.jpeg

AC02C0B9-B9E8-49E3-8C08-4D3BBF934696.jpeg

737EF2DA-9F4F-4795-A121-57E671BDE5D4.jpeg

9991DF00-64B5-4CB5-98FF-EB02400BFCC7.jpeg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I sound like a old man but you should also slow down. No need to-go full throttle all the time. I don't know your riding ability but do know you are riding unfamiliar trails with sleds that you do not own. Slow down a bit if you can. These days everyone thinks they are a professional rider and its a race to the next bar. Throw alcohol in the mix and you got a recipe for disaster. Can't count how many times some back pack wearing long track riding fuck boy comes FLYING around the corner sliding at me. Again not saying you ride like that but ride safe dude. Nothing good happens on the trails at 2AM either.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Side note, weekday trips are the best. We’ve seen a total of one group all weekend going down the trail. Granted, we’ve been in the trees every day so far.

Best conditions yeah. Come up on a Monday leave on a Thursday. I myself like utilizing the weekends. But Id imagine its pretty easy for your group to come up during the week.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
We covered the planned route and then some! Safety was TOP priority and I can confidently say we rode as responsibly as we could. But with a healthy need for speed. On straight aways on the #8 and #3 we flew at 85-90+ mph. But still stopped a couple times to clear debris off the trail even when it wasn’t on our side. Yeah, at 2am it was only us and the wolves out there. It was nuts. I did have a nice REI backpack on loaded with random tools like cutters, pliers, 2 screw drivers, mini lighter type blow torch, extra quart, tow rope/ratchet strap, foldable camping shovel, long zip ties, flashlights, bottle of water, thermos with hot stew, and of course my maps. We were ready for the possible problems. We weren’t drinking either, like zero drinking when riding.

The guy was pissed about the high mileage. Told us that “I’m not making any money off this rental, in fact you’re costing me money”. Also said most people do 100, maybe 150 miles in a day, not 365 in a day. Lol. I like to think he’s at a bar somewhere wondering and calculating how we could have done that many miles. Haha

Reactions: PANDA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
PANDA PANDA you do understand how miles/hours on something makes it worth less, correct?

Sleds depreciate over time also. I would think the more miles renters can put on them the better so the owner can sell them. I am just wondering how the act of putting more miles on the sled costs him money. The sled was returned with no damages. Does it need maintenance now? Carbides, hifax, etc worn? I know they blew a belt. Not sure if they were responsible for that or the owner?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Also a TON of rental places in the Northwood's and UP. Its actually kinda hard to find a available rental sled if you don't book in advance. These guys have to be making money. Say they buy the sleds for $8K. Rent them $200 a day. Thats about 40 days to pay off the entire sled. Lets call 40 days or about 6 weeks a season. Add in some maintenance costs. Damages and oil should be covered by the renter in my experience. Even if they sell them after only 1 year whatever they sell that sled for is profit. They keep it active for another season and even more profit from rentals but the sled itself is worth less. I think the biggest issue and costs involve with people wrecking them. My guess is they get fucked more often than not.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sleds depreciate over time also. I would think the more miles renters can put on them the better so the owner can sell them. I am just wondering how the act of putting more miles on the sled costs him money. The sled was returned with no damages. Does it need maintenance now? Carbides, hifax, etc worn? I know they blew a belt. Not sure if they were responsible for that or the owner?

dude

a sled with 4000 miles on it is worth less than one with 1200 miles.

i dont know how to dumb it down further.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Fuck those rental places... Hes being a douche cause you racked up the miles. Like KJ said, should have put a mileage cap on it then.

Somebody rented a SxS in our gang before. Paid the $150 cleaning fee ahead of time. We dropped that thing off and it looked like Satan's asshole. Rental guy was PISSED! He calmed we weren't on ATV trails (total BS). Tossed him the keys and said it's your problem now..

Thread Info