TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I’ve been mapping out a multi-day Yupper trip. You guys think 200-250 miles is doable in a day? What’s the most you’ve ever done?

Also, according to the forums, I should be able to get a safe 100miles out of a tank of gas on a 600cc sled, riding it harddd. So 100miles before I need to start worrying about a gas station. Do you guys agree?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I’ve been mapping out a multi-day Yupper trip. You guys think 200-250 miles is doable in a day? What’s the most you’ve ever done?

Also, according to the forums, I should be able to get a safe 100miles out of a tank of gas on a 600cc sled, riding it harddd. So 100miles before I need to start worrying about a gas station. Do you guys agree?

It really depends on where you riding. Most of the trails in the UP are straight rail road grades so putting on miles is ALOT easier than say going through twisty's of the Northwoods. Are you backpacking? I think 200-250 is a solid goal. As long as you are leaving early morning and riding all day not stopping at every bar you pass. A buddy of mine rode Boulder Junction WI to Copper Harbor MI last week. Said it was 400 miles and took him 12 hours. I would agree with 100 mile fill ups you can go more just plan your stops. Gas can sometimes be 50 miles apart in the UP. You will also get less gas mileage if ripping hard down rail road grades 60mph+.

Post up your proposed route.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
wait, you didn't get reverse?

and you got something with almost 10k miles?

giphy.gif

does it have electric start at least?

Miles are just a number, hours are also just...... A number, but the only number that really matters

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
No bar hopping. Riding sober for sure. Looking to ride as much as possible because it's fun as hell and because I rent a sled every time I go out there. Gotta get my money's worth, it ain't cheap. Lol. Definitely topping off as often as possible. Gas stations can be far apart and a lot of the mom-pop shops close super early. We ride those rental sleds hard. Exhaust popping 3-4-5 times after turning it off. Lol. I do have a route mapped out. I'll post it up in a few.

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
When I used to ride the UP our goal was to cover as many miles as possible. Riding was awesome. When we rode South Dakota we would ride even more as those trails were the best I've ever ridden. I dont spend thousands of dollars on a sled and equipment to let it sit. 2000 to 3000 miles a season was the goal.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Sounds like 200 miles is doable and I'm safe with getting a solid 100 miles per tank. Below is the route I'm considering. 2 years ago we did Hiawatha, Munising, Pictured Rocks, Grand Marais. This year its all about the west coast and the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Snow cover looks solid right now. Probably not leaving till more middle/end of Feb.

Map.png

Depth.png

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Carb/EFI honestly means jack shit in these new motors. Carb motors honestly run better (after warm up), EFI starts easier/gets better fuel mileage. I had an 800 Ptek with carbs and an 800 Etec with EFI at the same time and the carb motor felt way stronger.

"Long" track is going to eat up bumps a little better, shorter track will rail harder BUT the short track is a 4 stroke so it's going to be nose heavy. 2 stroke going to feel lighter and more nimble.

I'd go 2 stroke 137". I'm also biased.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Carb/EFI honestly means jack shit in these new motors. Carb motors honestly run better (after warm up), EFI starts easier/gets better fuel mileage. I had an 800 Ptek with carbs and an 800 Etec with EFI at the same time and the carb motor felt way stronger.

Long track is going to eat up bumps a little better, shorter track will rail harder BUT the short track is a 4 stroke so it's going to be nose heavy. 2 stroke going to feel lighter and more nimble.

I'd go 2 stroke 137". I'm also biased.

Ok... Ok.
Some variables for me to consider. That's what I need here, some expert advice. Thanks man!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Ok... Ok.
Some variables for me to consider. That's what I need here, some expert advice. Thanks man!

Another thing to note, with 4 strokes all you need is a credit card to pay for gas. 2 smokes, you need gas and 2 stroke oil at ~$50/gal. At 200 miles a day you're looking at 2-3 gallons for your whole trip so that's another $100-150 plus tax in oil alone.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Sounds like 200 miles is doable and I'm safe with getting a solid 100 miles per tank. Below is the route I'm considering. 2 years ago we did Hiawatha, Munising, Pictured Rocks, Grand Marais. This year its all about the west coast and the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Snow cover looks solid right now. Probably not leaving till more middle/end of Feb.

View attachment 50073

View attachment 50074

I am not that familiar with the day 2 (blue route) but I would loop a bit further south and check out Bond Falls.

Reactions: CHI2000GTP

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Dog shit slow? That has me worried. I don't want that. Is it going to be that much of a difference between those 2 sleds?

Well the other option isn't a rocket either. But they are rentals after all. It will probably do 70mph but will get awesome gas milage.

You and your brother should rent both and switch off.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Looked at pics from the last trip in Feb 2018.

We were riding rented 2016 Arctic Cats ZR LXR, 600cc, Carb. We all thought that thing ripppped. In my opinion, it went fast as hell. Riding that thing was a thrill. Would you say the Ski-Doo 600 ACE will be comparable? Same engine size, but the ACE is DOHC and 4 stroke and fuel injected. Thoughts?

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
A two stroke 600 will be way quicker than a naturally aspirated 600 all day long.

Yep. You're right. Looked into it more, and according to this article below a 2 stroke makes 30% more power than a 4 stroke. And lower center of gravity because of engine design.

Going with the 2 stroke. Oil costs be dammed. Not spending $1,000+ on this trip to find out my sled is slow. F that.

Article Link: http://sledworthy.com/2017/12/26/2-stroke-vs-4-stroke-decide/

Thread Info