Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Bone in breasts jerk style (my favorite) for bone in. I always lather mine in open pit when just about done.

05D7ACE9-910F-4B15-BD57-8FCE7C3EBBBC.jpeg

99127191-2594-4B43-95A1-F46062068F6C.jpeg

C678949B-DCA1-4E2C-B3FA-A054810BEF5F.jpeg

B0614ED0-482F-4152-9DE4-B7EDECCC023E.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
When i did this bird, i used the mildest smoking wood (citrus) and did just the rub by itself and a dry brine overnight to really see what it would do. Made for a really nice meal, wife and enjoyed the chicken on its own.

My impressions of this rub are tilted in the disappointment column. Might be because Kosmo's other stuff is so potent, and this is a "mild" flavor rub. Not a bad thing, chicken got picked clean with no sauces or anything put on it. We both really only tasted salt, black pepper, onion, and granulated honey. Not very nutty. I think this rub is more of a complementary flavor rather than dominant. Might be excellent on pork spare ribs.

Unsprisingly, the rub had more flavor on breast than the thighs and legs of the bird. Might be the sweetest chicken ive ever done.

Id skip this rub and grab their killer bee honey chipotle instead, 10 out of 10 times. Good flavor, just wish it were same intensity as their other stuff.
20211012_161752.jpeg
20211012_164948.jpeg
20211012_164900.jpeg
20211012_161757.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I made another tri tip today. Took some beef base, thinned it a bit and spread that on the tri tip. Used the Holy Cow BBQ Rub by Meat Church which is actually pretty good. Cooked it to 125 and let it rest. Super tender just at the edge or rare/medium rare. Amy liked the rub better than a salt/pepper/garlic that I usually use. I made her a baked potato and had spinach myself for Keto. Should have taken a pic.

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
I made another tri tip today. Took some beef base, thinned it a bit and spread that on the tri tip. Used the Holy Cow BBQ Rub by Meat Church which is actually pretty good. Cooked it to 125 and let it rest. Super tender just at the edge or rare/medium rare. Amy liked the rub better than a salt/pepper/garlic that I usually use. I made her a baked potato and had spinach myself for Keto. Should have taken a pic.

how did you cook it, I have a tritip coming tomorrow and may cook soon

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I used my Santa Maria attachment on the Weber kettle. Basically, no matter which type of grill, it's Indirect/lower temp cooking up to around 120* and then a quick sear and pull between 125 and 130. Similar to reverse searing a steak but it takes me around 45 mins. to cook one because I bring it up to temp more slowly, flipping about every 15 mins or so.

Other ways to cook it would be to sear first then indirect on your grill or in the oven and bring it up to temp. Also could sous vide it and then sear it. It's a versatile piece of meat and tender as long as you don't overcook it. Slice it against the grain.

The Santa Maria makes it easy to moderate the heat so I cook it over open flames and high enough that it gets the indirect heat with juices dripping on the coals then I lower it to sear.

Here's a previous cook showing the Santa Maria:

78byAxV.jpg

I really enjoy the Titan Santa Maria attachment. I use it all the time now. I checked the website and they are backordered again. It's a popular $99 grill attachment that fits 22" Weber kettles.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When i did this bird, i used the mildest smoking wood (citrus) and did just the rub by itself and a dry brine overnight to really see what it would do. Made for a really nice meal, wife and enjoyed the chicken on its own.

My impressions of this rub are tilted in the disappointment column. Might be because Kosmo's other stuff is so potent, and this is a "mild" flavor rub. Not a bad thing, chicken got picked clean with no sauces or anything put on it. We both really only tasted salt, black pepper, onion, and granulated honey. Not very nutty. I think this rub is more of a complementary flavor rather than dominant. Might be excellent on pork spare ribs.

Unsprisingly, the rub had more flavor on breast than the thighs and legs of the bird. Might be the sweetest chicken ive ever done.

Id skip this rub and grab their killer bee honey chipotle instead, 10 out of 10 times. Good flavor, just wish it were same intensity as their other stuff.View attachment 102280View attachment 102281View attachment 102282View attachment 102283
SPATCHCOCK ALL THE THINGS

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
We got a Recteq smoker recently. BIL has one and wife had a boner for one ever since her brother got one. I like meats as much as the next guy, but unlike you guys, I'm not a fan of preparing or cooking them. I hate it.

We did Pork Chops last night, she prepped them as I was in the office. They were cheap Walmart pork chops and were a little too thin, the edges where they were thinnest were really tough to chew, but the thicker middle parts were nice and juicy.

Tonight, we're having Filets in the Sous Vide which I'll sear in the Ooni Pizza Oven on a Cast Iron skillet.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Sounds like you may be on your way to learning to like the cooks? Add a few beers and it gets even better. I enjoy sitting on my lanai with friends, having some drinks and watching the flames. Smoking is more boring but the results are worth the effort. Agreed that you need thicker meats.
Nope, I doubt I ever will like it. I’m not a beer guy, so that makes casual drinking harder when you like whiskey.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I got a recteq 590 last week also. My sister in laws boyfriend gives us ribs occasionally and then smelling my neighbors Grilla grill all the time pushed me over the edge. Made chicken breasts seasoned with olive oil, fresh garlic, Worcestershire and kickin chicken seasoning last week. It was good but not worth the added time vs just throwing them on the Weber at 400.

Doing two racks of baby back ribs with the Johnny Trigg brown sugar, margarine, honey, tiger sauce foil wrap method today. Hopefully it’s good or else I just have some bizarre condiments for no reason. Also made my own pork rub based on a base recipe from a BBQ Done Right YouTube video.

E515B066-FF52-4E9B-BD80-94380C42E8D6.jpeg

Thread Info