TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
this NOPE had me cracking up

:nope:

giphy.gif

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I am going to go a head and disagree with you. I do some of my best whiskey drinking when smoking meat.

Let's agree to disagree. I fundamentally hate cooking in general. HATE IT. Always have, always will. LOL This smoker is the wife's version of keeping up with the jones aka her brother. He likes cooking. I don't.

Also, as a follow up, last night, doing the Filets. I turn the Ooni on 20-25 mins prior to the Sous Vide being done and toss the cast iron pan in the Ooni to get heated up so we can sear the Filets.

Previously, I would use a "mitten" pot holder glove and wrap the cast iron handle in 1 or 2 generic pot holders that we've had forever and that worked. It's been a 2 person job to sear them due to some logistics of our patio. Recently, I found some "high temperature BBQ gloves" and picked them up. They tag said they're rated for 950 degrees or something, sweet. Ooni gets to 950 easily, so I though they'd work for last night.

I was wrong.

Get the Filets out of the Sous Vide, we go outside to sear them, I got both gloves on, I grab the pan and she tosses the first Filet on the griddle. THEN THE PAIN.

BURN

OUCH

OUCH

OUCH

Yeah, the outside of the glove started to melt and I have a nice pea sides blister on my finger now.

All the more reason to not fucking cook anymore. LOL

• Wow
Reactions: crooks and Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Let's agree to disagree. I fundamentally hate cooking in general. HATE IT. Always have, always will. LOL This smoker is the wife's version of keeping up with the jones aka her brother. He likes cooking. I don't.

Also, as a follow up, last night, doing the Filets. I turn the Ooni on 20-25 mins prior to the Sous Vide being done and toss the cast iron pan in the Ooni to get heated up so we can sear the Filets.

Previously, I would use a "mitten" pot holder glove and wrap the cast iron handle in 1 or 2 generic pot holders that we've had forever and that worked. It's been a 2 person job to sear them due to some logistics of our patio. Recently, I found some "high temperature BBQ gloves" and picked them up. They tag said they're rated for 950 degrees or something, sweet. Ooni gets to 950 easily, so I though they'd work for last night.

I was wrong.

Get the Filets out of the Sous Vide, we go outside to sear them, I got both gloves on, I grab the pan and she tosses the first Filet on the griddle. THEN THE PAIN.

BURN

OUCH

OUCH

OUCH

Yeah, the outside of the glove started to melt and I have a nice pea sides blister on my finger now.

All the more reason to not fucking cook anymore. LOL

amazon gloves?

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
That 20 pound bags are $28 on Amazon, and you can get them for $9.99 at farm and fleet. Looked them up at rural king, $8.88. That’s crazy that shipping drives the price up that much.
8.88 at Rural King

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Amy's out of town so I smoked a ham with a honey mustard glaze. Used cherry wood chunks on the kettle.

I can eat for several days on this. ?

Ham, ham, ham, ham...

1XakVAx.jpg

I just tried a piece. Smoking these things is way better than just heating them up. I stay away from sugar but a brown sugar/pineapple or orange glaze on top of the honey mustard would be phenomenal.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Looks a bit like a Coriander and black pepper murder scene. I did my own seat of the pants Pastrami Turkey breast. Wet brine was loads of picking spices and garlic. Small amount of brown sugar (personally like pastrami that is less sweet). I omitted salt because the turkey breast was salinized already by processing (aldi brand). Let it brine for 3 days.

3 days kind of worried me that the wet brine would deteriorate the meat a bit too much, and texture would suck. Happy to report that did not happen.

Rub was 1 part coriander 2 parts fresh cracked black pepper, laid on THICK. Thats it. Smoked over grapewood chunks and lump coals.

Strong flavors, even stronger aromas. Turkey flavor definitely overwhelmed by everything else going on. Thickest cut of this is the best. Wish there was a smoke ring to it, smoke flavor is definitely present. Definitely will do again.

I'll be honest, i wanted chinese tonight, but didnt want this to go to waste and overbrine. Glad i cooked it, one bite and glad i was eating this instead of kung pao.
20211014_170138.jpeg
20211014_170024.jpeg
20211014_165723.jpeg
20211014_165017.jpeg
20211011_122606.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
First go on the pellet grill was a relative success. For the first time I’ve ever made ribs period they came out good. Around 2.5 hours at 275 with the mustard rub down and dry rub on them.

0AD98BC5-31FA-4778-8226-31F5F822FDBB.jpeg

Put them in foil with brown sugar, tiger sauce, squeeze margarine, and mikes hot honey for another hour and a half.
150FE908-ADBE-4807-B485-278779983248.jpeg

out of the foil and back on the grill for about an hour. Cooked down the foil juice and brushed on twice.

8AE8B1AA-7C7F-46D6-9B6F-A24AB62E6B60.jpeg

Flavor is great they were just a little too fall off the bone for me.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
When i did this bird, i used the mildest smoking wood (citrus) and did just the rub by itself and a dry brine overnight to really see what it would do. Made for a really nice meal, wife and enjoyed the chicken on its own.

My impressions of this rub are tilted in the disappointment column. Might be because Kosmo's other stuff is so potent, and this is a "mild" flavor rub. Not a bad thing, chicken got picked clean with no sauces or anything put on it. We both really only tasted salt, black pepper, onion, and granulated honey. Not very nutty. I think this rub is more of a complementary flavor rather than dominant. Might be excellent on pork spare ribs.

Unsprisingly, the rub had more flavor on breast than the thighs and legs of the bird. Might be the sweetest chicken ive ever done.

Id skip this rub and grab their killer bee honey chipotle instead, 10 out of 10 times. Good flavor, just wish it were same intensity as their other stuff.View attachment 102280View attachment 102281View attachment 102282View attachment 102283

OMGoodness that looks sensational ???

Reactions: MEATeorite

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Ive recently been more into the plain bob SPG rubs these days, and also hadn't done a sauced rib in probably 4 years now. Kosmos Q rib glaze game changer was probably some sort of catalyst for me to to rethink and try something different. Whenever i do something with SPG or even just dialing the amount of rub back a lot, theres normally more meat and smoke flavor present. These ribs were no slather/binder, no fine granule rub of anykind. 4 hours of smoke, hickory and Peach wood. An hour wrap, 30 mins sauced.

I wrapped in foil with Moose drool brown ale, hoff hot sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Not a lot of it though.

Half hour cook with Lillys Q Carolina gold sauce on for the finish. My favorite pork BBQ sauce. I love mustard and pork combo. Very bold flavor back ribs. Not sure how it looks in picture, but smoke ring is nuts. I think slathers/binders, and fine granule rubs block the developement of the smoke ring. I firmly believe this here forward. These were smokeyer (sp?) And more flavorful with pork than my defacto back ribs. Everyone including myself enjoyed them, but prefer my normal dry rub ribs over it.

Used to think sauce was a crutch for bbq that sucks, maybe its the 5G radiowaves coming straight from the raspberry vinegarette galaxy from the Zeta-retuculian alien race, Memphis supremacy, or my biases slanted hard towards movie theatre butter. But i think that people enjoy sauced ribs, sauce ribs once an a while. It isnt bad or evil, i promise.

The biggest experiment of all though, smoked cream cheese. It's good, you should do it. Sishitos and carrots are great for dipping.
20211016_180843.jpeg
20211016_174800.jpeg
20211016_180846.jpeg
20211016_180849.jpeg

Reactions: Jamesv82 and Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Here's the Steak Diane. I don't know why restaurants don't make this anymore? It tastes great, isn't that hard to make and the flaming cognac is a wow moment at the restaurant.

Started with some pounded strip steaks, shallots and mushrooms.

9sQRM1u.jpg

The sauce is made by using a demiglasse or just reducing beef broth, tomato paste and butter. Add some corn starch to thicken and set aside. Sear the steaks in cast iron or steel pan to rare and set them aside to rest. Use the same pan to soften the shallots and mushrooms. Add some Cognac or similar alcohol and then tilt the pan or use a torch to light it and burn off the alcohol. Add cream, the beef broth, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire Sauce. Season. After it reduces a bit, add the steaks.

45esB71.jpg

Spoon over some of the sauce, mushrooms and shallots and serve.

8n7gLPI.jpg

The steak should be rare to medium rare. No more. Great flavor and tender.

SGP78hp.jpg

Man. it has been so long since I made this. I need to see if Amy might be OK with it so I can make it more often.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Waiting for some take out from Chicago Culinary kitchen.

Waiting for some brisket, pork, smoked beans and bread pudding with fireball whiskey caramel sauce

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Waiting for some take out from Chicago Culinary kitchen.

Waiting for some brisket, pork, smoked beans and bread pudding with fireball whiskey caramel sauce
Have read about them but never tried. How is it and what’s your favorite dish?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Those are actually Sam's Club choice steaks for $12.99 lb. I check them every time I go and dig through the pile for the best marbled steaks. The marbling is better than their prime steaks that are $25 lb.

That's probably why I have 20 steaks in the freezer. I can't pass up a well marbled steak for a "bargain" price. These steaks were $7.99 lb a year ago.

Reactions: torquelover

Thread Info