So I woke up thinking about bone in chicken breast

20210918_120422.jpg

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Flyn

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Fortunately I have a pair of fairly powerful exhaust hoods because I cook them in a smoking hot cast iron pan. It gets pretty rowdy at times in the kitchen when doing two steaks in a row.

As for the steaks, it’s kind of my go to recently as the individual vacuum packed steaks have been kind of poor in comparison. The local hyper market offers ribeye roasts that can be ideal when cut in half or occasionally 3 pieces. Typically they will have 15-20 of them vacuum packed. I’ll sort through them looking for the ones with the least amount of purge and then check the marbling. They label these as choice quality but once in a while I will get lucky and find something pretty nice.

The photo was after I cut the roast in half and added kosher salt on both sides - then left on a wire rack in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I feel guilty looking at the great food while I'm making simple stuff. I made a shrimp salad with some homemade Keto Thousand Island dressing. Seared the shrimp in a hugely hot All Clad steel saute pan. I had to flip it as soon as I got all of them in the pan. That pan was HOT!

I will be happy to get off this diet so I can have some carbs and more meat again.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I feel guilty looking at the great food while I'm making simple stuff. I made a shrimp salad with some homemade Keto Thousand Island dressing. Seared the shrimp in a hugely hot All Clad steel saute pan. I had to flip it as soon as I got all of them in the pan. That pan was HOT!

I will be happy to get off this diet so I can have some carbs and more meat again.
How is keto thousand island made? Is it more than ketchup and mayo?
On Keto can’t you eat as much meat as you want or am I thinking of a different popular fad diet?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been doing some experimenting with beef tallow in ground beef. Next time you guys are smoking a brisket, take all the fat pieces you trimmed off and put them in a pan over very low heat. Let them render down for a couple/few hours and the liquid in the pan is the tallow. Store it in a mason jar in the fridge.

I added some liquid tallow to Keto meatballs today and cooked them in the oven. They are phenomenal. Same thing happens with cheeseburgers when you mix in a bit of tallow.

Fat is flavor and you get the tallow for free when you do a brisket.

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
I have been doing some experimenting with beef tallow in ground beef. Next time you guys are smoking a brisket, take all the fat pieces you trimmed off and put them in a pan over very low heat. Let them render down for a couple/few hours and the liquid in the pan is the tallow. Store it in a mason jar in the fridge.

I added some liquid tallow to Keto meatballs today and cooked them in the oven. They are phenomenal. Same thing happens with cheeseburgers when you mix in a bit of tallow.

I made for the first time this weekend with my trimmings, going to use on my griddle today for smash burgers.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Flyn

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL

PREACH

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Thick boi Chuck roast today. Mesquite and applewood. Smells wonderful. Getting to try out my new Tel-Tru gauge replacing the Weber one. Was kind of a bummer when my weber one died, it was biased on the cold side, to where it would be close to grate temp. Dome temp is pretty consistant 25-30 degrees hotter than top grate 35ish from very bottom. Glow in the dark feature is awesome, i can easily see it from 20 ft away at night. Nice to know the dome temp when i am using the MEATER probe before putting the meat on.

In other news, i called and ordered a stick burner from Fat Stack. Good part is they knocked 1000 bucks off, bad is their estimated completion date is december 2022. Kind of my one and done backyard smoker.

20210925_112143.jpeg
20210925_113158.jpeg

Thread Info