Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Turned out money. I should have taken more pictures, but you will have that on these big jobs. Got a flat from Costco, and cut it into 2-3” strips. Seasoned with SPG. Smoked at 225 until temp was 160. Cubed it up and threw it in pans with some doctored up bbq sauce. Let it cook for another 5 hrs and turned out great. Will make again.

View attachment 97838
Those look great
No brown sugar added on top of the sauce?

Reactions: SleeperLS

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Lunch

20210822_134845.jpg
20210822_135745.jpg

Reactions: Jamesv82 and Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I had to show homes today so I talked Amy through getting ribs started in the smoker. Didn't take pics but they turned out great using the 3-2-1 method. For Keto, I used Swerve granular sugar (sugar free) instead of regular brown sugar when I wrapped the ribs and they were similar in sweetness. Didn't put any sauce on mine but they were still very good. Swerve is a good substitute for sugar and they make confectioners, and brown sugars, too. I'm going to try making a sugar/carb free BBQ sauce one of these days and see what I can come up with.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
So I'm going to be smoking a 8.5-9 pound pork butt for dinner on Sunday.
My plan is to get it on the the smoker around midnight-1am.
Yall think that should give me enough time?
My plan is to go at it at 225F, when I hit the the stall I'll put it in a tin pan and cover it. Add some apple juice to the pan also.
I'm thinking it should be a 12-16hr cook.

Reactions: strtcar

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I separated the point and flat to fit in the smoker. I'm going to do some K.C. style burnt ends with the point and slice the flat. Anybody ever cooked a separated brisket before? I have no idea on time frame. I'm figuring somewhere between 8-12 hours (plus resting time) but it's just a guess. I'm going to set the bark and take the meat up to the stall and then wrap them with some beef renderings. Both will get pulled somewhere around 200ish depending on when they pass the "like butter" test. Burnt ends get BBQ sauce with a little brown sugar then back into the smoker for an hour or so and flat will go into the drippings to absorb whatever moisture it wants. Then both get wrapped up and go into a faux cambro until dinner.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
How much time till you serve? Everytime ive done them seperate, the point is done way way earlier than the flat. Id let the point come down a bit internal temp, like 185 before wrap and rest in cooler. If you wrap at 200+ degrees and rest over 5 hours you will likely end up with some very stewy burnt ends (some people actually prefer it, added to beans is really good). Anyways, you'll heat them again to carmelize bbq sauce or whatever burnt end concoction you do. Problem is the fat is a bit of the structure component of the burnt ends keeping it from being overcooked stew meat.

Another thing I've done in the past with good results has been to sear the point after resting to give some crunch to the bark.

I used to cook the packer brisket to 160 and seperate the flat and point, wrap the flat and add more rub to the point. Smoke the point for another 2-3 hours unwrapped. Rested the point at 195. An hour before slicing the flat i put the point back on the smoker with a mix of hot sauce, brown sugar, root beer (sweet stickyness), bbq sauce and roasted garlic powder.

Hope this helps

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I don't know when the brisket will finish so I'm playing it by ear. Starting it around 7 A.M. tomorrow. Want to eat around 7 P.M. if it works out. Definitely will let the meat come down in temp before putting it in the cooler.

Mad Scientist BBQ is suggesting 4-8 hour resting but that seems excessive to me. I'm hoping for around 2 hours.

UPDATE:

The point bark is ready for wrapping. 174* and in the stall. The flat is also around 174* but its bark isn't ready yet. Probably because I put it on the rack under the point so the fat rendering would drip down on it.

Here's the point before wrapping. I dribbled some beef tallow from the scrap pieces over it and wrapped it in butcher paper. Back on the smoker.

C4bSaAf.jpg

UPDATE:

Flat is ready for wrapping. I drizzled tallow and wrapped it up. Back on smoker.

u9yUHIP.jpg

• Love
Reactions: strtcar

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I don't know when the brisket will finish so I'm playing it by ear. Starting it around 7 A.M. tomorrow. Want to eat around 7 P.M. if it works out. Definitely will let the meat come down in temp before putting it in the cooler.

Edited. No clue WTF happened.

Mad Scientist BBQ is suggesting 4-8 hour resting but that seems excessive to me. I'm hoping for around 2 hours.
A lot of factors IMO for resting a brisket. I always do 3 hours at minimum. If its aggressively trimmed, small <11 lbs, or seperated I'd be a bit cautious about it getting too stew-ey texture.

Last brisket i did was 15 lbs and i rested it for 9 hours. It just got done early. At around hour 5 in the cooler the IT dropped below 155, so i moved it to the oven and ran on lowest temp to keep the brisket around 160 until serving.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have the burnt ends in the smoker and the flat is resting in a cooler now. I left the meater in it so I can monitor it's temp. I ended up with a couple mason jars of beef tallow from the meat scraps. I will use some of it to brush the flat slices before serving. I want to see if that makes a difference in flavor.

I tried a bit of point when I was cutting up the burnt ends. I almost didn't sauce them because it was so good without the sauce. Separating it from the flat allowed me to pull it at the perfect doneness. The flat needed about an hour more than the point in this cook.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
So I did that pork on Sunday.
I put it on at midnight, 225F. I work up once at 4 to check my phone and see how it was, then again around 7am. By that time I was sitting around 155 I think.
The bark looked fantastic. We had some running around to do Sunday morning but I was able to put it in a tinfoil pan and seal it when it hit 163.
I pulled it at 1:30pm and I was anywhere from198-205 depending. I set it in a cooler until it was time to eat around 3:30.
The bone pulled clean out and I was literally able to shred it with my hands it was so tender and juicy. It was a huge hit. Every had 2+ sandwiches.

I injected it with Dr. Pepper then seasoned the outside with Holy Cow BBQ and a Webber Brown Sugar BBQ. When I put it in the pan I added a little DP at the bottom. I'm saying this was on point. While I shredded it I sprinkled in a bit more of the Holy Cow.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Final results... This is the best brisket I have ever made. The burnt ends, which I didn't taste because of the sugar and since I made some Keto ones for myself, were rated as fantastic by my guests. The flat was the most tender, perfectly cooked flat I have ever done. Separating the brisket gave me so much more control over pulling each part of the brisket when it was perfectly done rather than compromising and burning the flat to get the point done properly.

This method cooks the brisket in 2/3rds the time, is easy to control temps and makes it easier to fit the brisket in the smoker. I think I will separate the briskets from now on. The electric smoker doesn't give a smoke ring but there was plenty of (hickory) smoke flavor. Not overpowering, just right.

frcxo0d.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I did that pork on Sunday.
I put it on at midnight, 225F. I work up once at 4 to check my phone and see how it was, then again around 7am. By that time I was sitting around 155 I think.
The bark looked fantastic. We had some running around to do Sunday morning but I was able to put it in a tinfoil pan and seal it when it hit 163.
I pulled it at 1:30pm and I was anywhere from198-205 depending. I set it in a cooler until it was time to eat around 3:30.
The bone pulled clean out and I was literally able to shred it with my hands it was so tender and juicy. It was a huge hit. Every had 2+ sandwiches.

I injected it with Dr. Pepper then seasoned the outside with Holy Cow BBQ and a Webber Brown Sugar BBQ. When I put it in the pan I added a little DP at the bottom. I'm saying this was on point. While I shredded it I sprinkled in a bit more of the Holy Cow.
2nd person I've heard use Dr Pepper, going to have to give it a shot. I usually brine overnight in apple cider and inject it with the cider as well.
Final results... This is the best brisket I have ever made. The burnt ends, which I didn't taste because of the sugar and since I made some Keto ones for myself, were rated as fantastic by my guests. The flat was the most tender, perfectly cooked flat I have ever done. Separating the brisket gave me so much more control over pulling each part of the brisket when it was perfectly done rather than compromising and burning the flat to get the point done properly.

This method cooks the brisket in 2/3rds the time, is easy to control temps and makes it easier to fit the brisket in the smoker. I think I will separate the briskets from now on. The electric smoker doesn't give a smoke ring but there was plenty of (hickory) smoke flavor. Not overpowering, just right.

frcxo0d.jpg
Both look delicious, nice work (y)

Thread Info