Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I really love my Santa Maria style grill. It has made me pull the old Weber kettle out often.

Pork tenderloin:

31arEgf.jpg

Yum!

a1UOo24.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Butterflied pork butt, money muscle on top. Almost double the bark and get to remove the weird membrane of silver skin and fat between. Definitely cooks faster, still very juicy.

Rubbed with SPG and dehydrated and pulverized lemon with trinidad scorpion hot sauce as a binder, forget name. Really tames down after a long cook.

Wrapped only for the last 2 hours of the cook to develope a nice crunchy bark. Wrapped in Kosmos Q apple/cherry/habanero glaze, Hoff Hot sauce. Almond and applewood chunks.

Love the WSM. Literally adjusted temps only 3 times throughout the 13 hour cook. Went to bed and woke up it was still running 238 and clean smoke.
20210906_111604.jpeg
20210906_073131.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I am smoking some salmon tonight. Dry brined it overnight and let it sit out an hour and a half to get the pellicle going. It's in the smoker now. Smells good with some cherry wood smoke. I was going to use apple but only had apple chunks, no chips.

XRRbG3j.jpg

I made a butter sauce with unsalted, clarified butter, garlic, fresh lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of honey. It's amazing on the salmon. Salmon is a bit too salty for me but Amy likes it. Next time, I will dry brine it for less time with less salt.

ftexV6a.jpg

Reactions: MEATeorite

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I am smoking some salmon tonight. Dry brined it overnight and let it sit out an hour and a half to get the pellicle going. It's in the smoker now. Smells good with some cherry wood smoke. I was going to use apple but only had apple chunks, no chips.

XRRbG3j.jpg
So is that electric smoker yours now or still "borrowing it"
Do you now prefer that over a traditional smoker?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
So is that electric smoker yours now or still "borrowing it"
Do you now prefer that over a traditional smoker?
Still borrowing but my buddy doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get it back. I ask him when he wants it back often and he says just keep smoking things for him to eat. The smoker was just a doorstop on his lanai. LOL

I like the ease of cooking with an electric smoker but it is inferior to an offset wood smoker for flavor and smoke ring. I will get one of them sooner or later.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I am going to start trying some Michelin and Cordon Bleu chef recipes to see what they do differently from normal cooks. I found a shrimp salad that looked interesting. The salad is cold and the shrimp is warm. It has a soy vinaigrette on the salad AND a Beurre Blanc butter and cream sauce on the shrimp. I didn't know what to expect flavor wise with 2 separate sauces on it. Turns out I am blown away by the complexity of the blend of flavors. Sharp acidity and salty from the vinaigrette, fat from the Beurre Blanc and a great mix of salad components with sweetness from the peeled tomatoes and avocados along with the umami of the buttered, salted, cayenne, broilered, butterflied shrimp. I gave the recipe to my son and told him his restaurant should make and sell this. The flavor balance is amazing.

This is my first try at a Michelin level chef's recipe and it won't be my last.

OpcRGjB.jpg

Thread Info