• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Switching to an LS

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I mean at what point does it matter what's powering it?

As long as it goes and it goes good...
1626147807726.png

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
5.3, basic cam and springs, headbolts and gaskets if you're feeling froggy, and an intake manifold that will fit under the hood. Couple that with an s475 or a VS Racing 7875, and you'll have no issues making 550-650rwhp through a th400.

650 is a blast on the street. My 4v Cobra with twin 57s made 642 on pump gas, and it was enough to blow the (street) tires off at pretty much any speed.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
The coyote stuff has gotten definitely more expensive these days. It can however be done fairly cheap if you get creative. Depends on how bad you want the coyote. I flipped a couple cars that paid for my swap lol.

Look into a 408, any stock block 351 will make 650 all day with boost.

There's alot of ford stuff out there these days im suprised you can't find that 363 motor somewhere.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
I also have completed this and have a 5.3 in my fox. I think at your target power level you should easily achieve that on a mild fuel system with a properly sized turbo. While I am still SBE, my engine got a new cam, oil pump, valve guides, valve seals, springs, hardened pushrods, Trunnion rocker bearings, head gaskets and ARP hardware. Also depending on fitment, you may need to get a different oil pan to clear the steering components and also relocate the alternator based on your hot side.

Things to consider since you already have the terminator kit. You will need an aftermarket MAP sensor or one capable for reading boost, IAT sensor, oil pressure and fuel pressure sensor. I deleted my knock sensors so with that an aftermarket valley cover was needed. There is a lot of tuning support in the LS world and I've been enjoying that aspect of the project since there is a lot to learn.

If you have any specific questions I can probably help answer them

img_7955-jpg.73841

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
OP did you ever consider a 351W? An SN95 408+ stroker with a 6 speed was one of my teenage dream cars.

Anyhow can’t go wrong with the LS. Look forward to the build

Coming from someone who just built a 351w based engine, I would say stick with the LS. A stock block 351w is a little bit stronger than a 302 block, but it still has 2 bolt mains. Cap walk and harmonics are still a problem at higher RPM. The LS will be able to reliably handle a bit more power. Parts availability will be better for the LS and a lot of parts will be cheaper.

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
Coming from someone who just built a 351w based engine, I would say stick with the LS. A stock block 351w is a little bit stronger than a 302 block, but it still has 2 bolt mains. Cap walk and harmonics are still a problem at higher RPM. The LS will be able to reliably handle a bit more power. Parts availability will be better for the LS and a lot of parts will be cheaper.
Oh wtf!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: LikeABauce302

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett

Is it possible to have the block machined to accept 4 bolt mains? IIRC a 2 bolt main SBC block that’s been machined for splayed bolts is a better solution than a factory 4 bolt main.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Is it possible to have the block machined to accept 4 bolt mains? IIRC a 2 bolt main SBC block that’s been machined for splayed bolts is a better solution than a factory 4 bolt main.

It can be done, but there isn't much benefit. The casting is pretty thin and it doesn't do much to help with cap stability. It's also expensive. By the time you buy the caps, have the block hot tanked, machined, and align honed, it's only a few hundred more for a Dart SHP or FRPP Boss block.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
No stock blocks weak point are in the valley. The cast was just too thin.

Boostie boost21 it sounds like you are the one I need to talk to. Little background on my current set up. Ran about 13-14 lbs through gt 40 heads. On the dyno we shut it down at 4200 rpms and it made 450 hp.
We ran out of fuel for the small walboro. So I squeezed in a hellcat fuel pump in the stock tank and ran braided to the motor. The fuel system is ready to go even if I went E85.

Now this motor has to go before I break it. I have a budget of around 8k so this isn't something I am just looking for cheap power. I am actually thinking about buying a t56 so I can keep it manual.
Just something about banging gears in a car I can't let go. F@$* off I know it would be faster as an auto.

Thanks for all the opinions. I've been gone too long and miss this forum.

Reactions: FESTER665 and Jon01

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I've been kickin around tryin to sell my turbo 3800 car since it's all but finished and isn't gonna grenade if i send it down the road. And puttin the ls out of a truck I've got for the firebird I blew up. Thing is I can't decide what the better move is. Do I even dare take a 3800 to play with real race cars? Probably not. And say a guy gets to a place where the da isn't so hot and the cars strugglin to make power it might hurt ets pretty bad? But I'm not real sure what the thing would be worth. It'd be nice to free up a lil fundamental for the future tho and surely I'd get more for it than I would a torn apart firebird and a wrecked truck tho...
I dunno that you're going to get a ton of money for a turbo 3800 car, a lot of them don't really go for much unless there's really been a lot done to it. Sure more than a wrecked car, but are you going to get enough to justify selling it after the time/money you've put into it?
I personally wouldn't justify selling the car just because the 3800 isn't a typical engine someone else might take seriously. You can build these engines into taking a lot of power without really putting much money into them. 500rwhp is easily doable on these with a turbo and a cam as long as the rest of the drivetrain is capable of handling it. Yeah you're going to get some shit for using a v6, but the numbers don't lie for what they can do. Eventually anyone who doesn't take it seriously is going to end up having to shut about it.
Everywhere I take my GP it draws crowds especially once they see what it can do. People are tired of seeing LS motors everywhere.

For a shop you're definitely going to have to know a lot about LS's though and having a car that you can experiment with is going to be helpful. LS's have aftermarket parts out there for almost anything you can imagine so you can easily build a fast LS car really quickly if you have the money for all of the parts you're looking for.

I would be impressed if you can make money flipping cars after they've been modded. A lot of people won't be as interested in modded cars and depending on what's done it's going to be hard to turn a profit doing that. Maybe it builds a reputation, but idk

• Love
Reactions: Rdrnnr

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
At some point when we mod cars we have to know that it's an uphill battle to make what we put into it let alone a profit on it. Your call on if you want to part with the 3800, I'm sure there are a few younger guys out there that may want that car.

Pretty easy to get that truck ls to 500whp, cam, springs injectors and cheap turbo. Hell it would be just as easy to get 600whp.

Talk to Carl@Redline about the 60e, figure out what hp you want out of that 5.3 and he can build you the transmission you need.

I'd keep the 5.3 heads and if you have the termx I'd run that.

Cost effective rear end.... ya those words don't go together :ROFLMAO:. Is it a 8.5 10 bolt or a 8.2? If it's a 8.2 it's going to grenade itself with any power. The 8.5 can be beefed up to handle some power but nothing crazy and it may be a crap shoot. Otherwise you can look at swapping in a 12 bolt, or a Ford 9 inch or even a Ford 8.8.

Reactions: Rdrnnr
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info