Suspension Talk

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
Ok, lets get a suspension thread going. Whether it before road race or drag race or just want the right look.

Since i'm new to this 'new and improved' s197 chassis, i've got a few questions. My car will be use for 50% DD duty, 30% street light to street light/high way runs, 20% drag strip.

LCA's - Whats better? Bushing at both end, bushing at chassis/heim at axle, heim on both ends.

UCA - Again, bushing or heim? Or is it dependent on LCA choice?

Shocks/struts - Should I bother with adjustables considering the use of my car, or can I get away with my current FRPP "handling "dampners" at the drag strip?

Lastly, are subframe connectors worth it on these cars?

Paging Pratt...awaiting your massive tech posts.

Sprayin/Teege, got any input?

Wild White Pony

Reaction score
Tell us more about your car, RWHP,Auto/Man, PA/NA? At least this much info would be needed to get the thread going.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
I dont have any RWHP numbers unfortunately.

its N/A bolt on car with a 5 spd and a 4.10.

G_T_P

Reaction score
I'd be interested in know what suspension stuff works best with these too. Buddy has a bolt on s197 looking to do DD/road racing. So far has koni yellows fully adjustable and lowering springs. What else is best for road racing?

Wild White Pony

Reaction score
I dont have any RWHP numbers unfortunately.

its N/A bolt on car with a 5 spd and a 4.10.
Well if your looking for some good info on suspension, here is a link that you may find helpfull cherod.com/mustang - LCAs

Right now I wouldn't do anything based on your driving use and paw, your far away from suspension benefits in drag racing. I would start with something like a single piece Aluminum driveshaft. You can lower your et by reducing some rotating mass. After that maybe some bushing lower control arms with anti-squat brackets for any wheel hop. Upper control arm I would leave in unless you really get aggresive on the bracket position of the lower arms which would throw your pinion angle off.

I run the BMR bushing lower arms with brackets, using the middle position of the bracket, have 1" lowering springs and shaftmaster 1 piece driveshaft, 4:10 gear. Pinion angle is still good at -1 deg. and I use the stock upper control arm. Running over 550rwhp with no problems of wheel hop, but I have an auto, if it was a manual I would of changed out the upper to an adjustable with a beefer bracket mount.

Teege24

Reaction score
Well if your looking for some good info on suspension, here is a link that you may find helpfull cherod.com/mustang - LCAs

Right now I wouldn't do anything based on your driving use and paw, your far away from suspension benefits in drag racing. I would start with something like a single piece Aluminum driveshaft. You can lower your et by reducing some rotating mass. After that maybe some bushing lower control arms with anti-squat brackets for any wheel hop. Upper control arm I would leave in unless you really get aggresive on the bracket position of the lower arms which would throw your pinion angle off.

I run the BMR bushing lower arms with brackets, using the middle position of the bracket, have 1" lowering springs and shaftmaster 1 piece driveshaft, 4:10 gear. Pinion angle is still good at -1 deg. and I use the stock upper control arm. Running over 550rwhp with no problems of wheel hop, but I have an auto, if it was a manual I would of changed out the upper to an adjustable with a beefer bracket mount.
good info i completely agree!

Teege24

Reaction score
I have upper and lower control arms..everything else is stock...with the power i make it hooks like a charm

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just have lower control arms. Poly bushings on both sides. Work pretty well. I need a set of shocks something fierce. I was thing about going with adjustable strange or QA1s. With what u have going on control arms and adjustable shocks will do ya good.

I like the idea of adjustable because I'd like to retain street manners, but I'm not sure if I'd actually ever adjust them. I'm kinda lazy.

Wild White Pony

Reaction score
Holy crap, I just noticed that Mook condensed the Blue Oval, I like it....:likes:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting Lakewood 50/50 rear drag shocks. Lazy (and cheap) FTW.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
The gt I ended up getting already had some suspension work done to it. I have not driven one of these with just lowering springs on stock shocks or any other combo besides stock and the set up I currently own. I am still a fan of buying a kit. My car has a Roush suspension kit on it. Absolutely love it! I DD the shit out of my 5.0 and have minimal driveabilty issues. Worst time I had drivin it was actually in chicago :rofl: the car rarely rubs the ground. A little bit of caution and you are good to go. I am still looking into lca's and adjustable phb's but for what it is already i am not too worried. Minimal wheel hop currently. The car isnt bad at all to drive/ride in. It has a pretty smooth ride for a sport suspension. Highways are nice to cruise on, but going on back roads can be shitty depending on how bad they are. I am not a pro at this like some other mustang guys on here. Just thought i would chime in with my DD experience and current suspension mods since your drivin plans and mine are similar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom