• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Suspension Talk

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, lets get a suspension thread going. Whether it before road race or drag race or just want the right look.

Since i'm new to this 'new and improved' s197 chassis, i've got a few questions. My car will be use for 50% DD duty, 30% street light to street light/high way runs, 20% drag strip.

LCA's - Whats better? Bushing at both end, bushing at chassis/heim at axle, heim on both ends.

UCA - Again, bushing or heim? Or is it dependent on LCA choice?

Shocks/struts - Should I bother with adjustables considering the use of my car, or can I get away with my current FRPP "handling "dampners" at the drag strip?

Lastly, are subframe connectors worth it on these cars?

Paging Pratt...awaiting your massive tech posts.

Sprayin/Teege, got any input?

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
I dont have any RWHP numbers unfortunately.

its N/A bolt on car with a 5 spd and a 4.10.

Well if your looking for some good info on suspension, here is a link that you may find helpfull cherod.com/mustang - LCAs

Right now I wouldn't do anything based on your driving use and paw, your far away from suspension benefits in drag racing. I would start with something like a single piece Aluminum driveshaft. You can lower your et by reducing some rotating mass. After that maybe some bushing lower control arms with anti-squat brackets for any wheel hop. Upper control arm I would leave in unless you really get aggresive on the bracket position of the lower arms which would throw your pinion angle off.

I run the BMR bushing lower arms with brackets, using the middle position of the bracket, have 1" lowering springs and shaftmaster 1 piece driveshaft, 4:10 gear. Pinion angle is still good at -1 deg. and I use the stock upper control arm. Running over 550rwhp with no problems of wheel hop, but I have an auto, if it was a manual I would of changed out the upper to an adjustable with a beefer bracket mount.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Well if your looking for some good info on suspension, here is a link that you may find helpfull cherod.com/mustang - LCAs

Right now I wouldn't do anything based on your driving use and paw, your far away from suspension benefits in drag racing. I would start with something like a single piece Aluminum driveshaft. You can lower your et by reducing some rotating mass. After that maybe some bushing lower control arms with anti-squat brackets for any wheel hop. Upper control arm I would leave in unless you really get aggresive on the bracket position of the lower arms which would throw your pinion angle off.

I run the BMR bushing lower arms with brackets, using the middle position of the bracket, have 1" lowering springs and shaftmaster 1 piece driveshaft, 4:10 gear. Pinion angle is still good at -1 deg. and I use the stock upper control arm. Running over 550rwhp with no problems of wheel hop, but I have an auto, if it was a manual I would of changed out the upper to an adjustable with a beefer bracket mount.
good info i completely agree!

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I just have lower control arms. Poly bushings on both sides. Work pretty well. I need a set of shocks something fierce. I was thing about going with adjustable strange or QA1s. With what u have going on control arms and adjustable shocks will do ya good.

I like the idea of adjustable because I'd like to retain street manners, but I'm not sure if I'd actually ever adjust them. I'm kinda lazy.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The gt I ended up getting already had some suspension work done to it. I have not driven one of these with just lowering springs on stock shocks or any other combo besides stock and the set up I currently own. I am still a fan of buying a kit. My car has a Roush suspension kit on it. Absolutely love it! I DD the shit out of my 5.0 and have minimal driveabilty issues. Worst time I had drivin it was actually in chicago :rofl: the car rarely rubs the ground. A little bit of caution and you are good to go. I am still looking into lca's and adjustable phb's but for what it is already i am not too worried. Minimal wheel hop currently. The car isnt bad at all to drive/ride in. It has a pretty smooth ride for a sport suspension. Highways are nice to cruise on, but going on back roads can be shitty depending on how bad they are. I am not a pro at this like some other mustang guys on here. Just thought i would chime in with my DD experience and current suspension mods since your drivin plans and mine are similar.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info