Disney+ Star Wars: Clone Wars animated show is coming back

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Started going through this. I just finished S1. The story is confusing at times, but it almost seems like it's designed to be episodic. The writing is better than I was expecting. A few characters are kinda cringe, but I'm enjoying it so far.

There is a huge amount of character development for Anakin in this that I wasn't expecting. He's a lot less whiney and annoying.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Also, Season 2, Episode 5, Landing at Point Rain.

Set aside some time to watch this episode with the volume up and without much interruption. Its Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket rolled into a Clone Wars episode.

The episode is extremely fast paced and doesn't pull any punches. Probably the most well cut battle sequence in the entire show. Seriously good.

Reactions: Sprayin

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
At what point does Ahsoka become a good character?
I think the fanbase hated Ahsoka for most of season 1 and probably part of season 2. Lucas only wanted her there to be a lever to tip Anakin over the edge to the Dark Side.

Ahsoka is a lot like Harley Quinn in terms of importance and stature in the DC Universe. Character created for a show to be Joker's comic relief henchwoman but thanks to good writing developed into an important part of the DC universe.

Ahsoka is like that, but even more pivotal in future timelines. Dave Filoni fought for the character and she developed into one of the most fleshed out characters in Star Wars.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Reactions: IDAFC21

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been watching a few of these here and there. I'm in the middle of S4 now.

One of my biggest problems with how the Jedi are portrayed in Star Wars in general is that it's inconsistent. In the movies, they're typically seen as these almost God-like warriors that can't be touched. Then you have the Clone Wars where they are getting dunked on by the bad guys in *every episode*. It's weird.

Reactions: IDAFC21 and Bru

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've been watching a few of these here and there. I'm in the middle of S4 now.

One of my biggest problems with how the Jedi are portrayed in Star Wars in general is that it's inconsistent. In the movies, they're typically seen as these almost God-like warriors that can't be touched. Then you have the Clone Wars where they are getting dunked on by the bad guys in *every episode*. It's weird.

After Mandalorian, I did the same thing. I've been slogging through these during 3 am bottle feedings. So much of it seems repetitive. I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm like, there are 7 more?!?! I've had a hard time binging this show. I'm sure it was easier to watch when it was played out over years, and when we weren't totally saturated with Star Wars content.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
After Mandalorian, I did the same thing. I've been slogging through these during 3 am bottle feedings. So much of it seems repetitive. I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm like, there are 7 more?!?! I've had a hard time binging this show. I'm sure it was easier to watch when it was played out over years, and when we weren't totally saturated with Star Wars content.
S1 and early S2 were hard to watch. It gets better.

Reactions: IDAFC21 and Bru

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Also not helping is that S1 and S2 have some episodes pretty out of order which means that you don't really get the back story on some clones who are important till Season 3/4. Heck, some of the clones who have important backstories are already DEAD by the time you get to the episode that would actually make you care about them.

Basically, Its Domino Squad, Cody, Rex, Waxer, Boil, who are most important in terms of developed character arcs.

Also, in S2, the little Twilek girl that Waxer and Boil carry to safety ends up growing up to be a minor character in Rebels. None of it is super necessary, but its nice to see these characters pop-up and make the Rebels sequel feel like a very fleshed out world as you get to see adult versions of one offs in Clone Wars.

Ideally, Lucas should have done the Phantom Menace, skipped AotC entirely and replaced AotC with the Clone Wars show, then finished Clone Wars up with Revenge of the Sith movie having live versions of the animated characters.

This way Anakin's fall would have been HUGELY developed. It wouldn't have felt like it came out of nowhere. Which it did. Other than the slaughter of the Tusken camp that kidnapped Shmi there is NOTHING in AotC that shows Anakin's potential to fall.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I can agree with all this. The first couple seasons are really hard to binge, even if you do watch them in the "correct" order, and there definitely are some duds littered within the series, but by and large if you stick with it, you are immensely rewarded for your time and effort.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yeah I guess, but Grevious is a highly trained warrior with great lightsaber skills and tho he may be more machine than man he still has a very cognitive and strategic mind. And Ventress was also trained under Dooku and had way more potential than Dooku or Sidious ever thought (more to come on that front in Season 3)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'm only through maybe 40 episode and grevious has now captured or killed at least 10 Jedi. An apprentice (Ventress) gets the best of Anakin/Obi Wan several times. It's almost a joke.

If you want to use the midichlorian bullshit, then Ventress is on-par with Yoda in terms of Power in the Force. I personally don't really care too much about the midichlorian BS. Mostly because it turns it into a knock down drag out Dragonball school yard argument.

Where the TV format for Clone Wars stands out compared to the movies is the time it takes to develop the characters and their skills. Anakin is younger than Ventress by several years, and Ventress is extremely well trained and is also powerful. Over the series you can watch the battles begin to tip in Anakin's favor. Eventually to the point where Ventress is out-classed by Anakin, and later Anakin starts pushing Dooku past his limits. The Rako Hardeen duel is the turning point when Dooku realizes he cannot beat Anakin and switches to a defensive/escape strategy. He uses Palpatine as a hostage so that Anakin can't engage him directly.

The way they shift the balance of the fights in Clone Wars is very slow. To the point that you don't even notice when Anakin and Obi-Wan go from being on the back foot, to equal, and then out-classing their antagonists.

Clone Wars excels at character development. By the end of the show the character everybody hated, becomes one of the most loved characters added since the original trilogy.

Reactions: Aircal and IDAFC21
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info