Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Get a fender well intake for maximum whine hehe
I think zzp sells them. Cleans up the engine bay nicely as opposed to that huge air box.

FWI is meh. I had a Wizair for awhile. It was nice and the air box was cooler inside compared to outside. If you remove the weather stripping and hood liner, you really only got heat soak sitting in traffic. Otherwise my IATs with my "open cone" intake were close to ambient temps.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You crazy, a cone just sitting in the engine bay was close to ambient temps? When? Whilst driving 90mph constantly on a 50° day?

My scans didnt lie. :dunno: While in motion on a summer day, I was 5* of ambient temps while doing the speed limit. The engine bays are huge and air comes in from everywhere. Sitting at a light it would shoot up fast sure, but after a good 15-20 seconds it fell back. I also pulled the weather stripping and hood liner, which is what I said in my first post.

Also It was a Regal. I wore a gray hair wig and did 40 on the highway. :io:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My scans didnt lie. :dunno: While in motion on a summer day, I was 5* of ambient temps while doing the speed limit. The engine bays are huge and air comes in from everywhere. Sitting at a light it would shoot up fast sure, but after a good 15-20 seconds it fell back. I also pulled the weather stripping and hood liner, which is what I said in my first post.

Also It was a Regal. I wore a gray hair wig and did 40 on the highway. :io:

My man, I saw what you said, but I tuned like 35+ cars and every one of them had IAT's that really disagree with that. Tuning my own car (that was stock) was my first indicator that the stock intake was the more reliable for consistent IAT's. They would be about 5° warmer than the ambient temps, but a cone filter in the engine bay in any kind of realistic conditions were like 120°+ all day, every day. Even then, on a day in the 70's, if I stopped once from my 9 mile drive home, the IATs would sky to the 120's and stay there until I got home, if not higher. I scanned my shit every day, I owned the software so why not? The only time the IAT's were anywhere near the ambient temps were when the car was constantly moving on a cooler day or it was cold AF outside.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
TBH,my scans were from Elk Grove Village to Vernon Hills at the time so it was mixed highway and 2 lane roads. :dunno: Thats when I did most of my scans when trying to fine tune my cruise timing which is why I was scanning. Maybe the highway speeds (not 90. LOL. I do usually 70-75 depending) kept them down? I know the regal has a huge gaping opening in the front compared to Grand Prixs so maybe that? I cant tell ya. Just saw what I saw.

Either way, we arent telling the man to remove his BBV, so we can high five at that. :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have seen lots of cars with air inlets in the engine bay have AIT temps rise when standing still and lower once the car gets moving. Most air boxes keep consistent AIT.

New performance cars have good filters and flow well. Aftermarket intakes seem to only make more power when they can increase flow into the engine. Due to how cramped how these new cars are in the front end and engine bay, a lot of times the new air boxes have small inlets from in front of the car to the air box. Modded cars can be hurt more as the engines potential airflow increases a lot and the airbox becomes a restriction.

Testing the restriction of a airbox and inlet tubing is easy to test. But in most cases are probably not worth even setting up. haha

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
TBH,my scans were from Elk Grove Village to Vernon Hills at the time so it was mixed highway and 2 lane roads. :dunno: Thats when I did most of my scans when trying to fine tune my cruise timing which is why I was scanning. Maybe the highway speeds (not 90. LOL. I do usually 70-75 depending) kept them down? I know the regal has a huge gaping opening in the front compared to Grand Prixs so maybe that? I cant tell ya. Just saw what I saw.

Either way, we arent telling the man to remove his BBV, so we can high five at that. :rofl:

Wait, you never removed your BBV??!!! :rofl:

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
So....
472ed146b7020ff20959f06b873d1cf2.jpg
89be22a2c9bd4c4f1c23dcbbb355ba87.jpg
3b8fe0ea597a4942fdeac65d35661745.jpg

ZZP 2.5" catted down pipe and Dynomax ultra flow SS muffler. Dropped a used K&N panel filter I had sitting around.
This should let it breath a bit better.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:nice:

I preached everywhere I could, but I LOVED the hooker maxflows I had on my GP and Regal. It didnt sound as shitty at WOT and really good at idle to mid range RPMS. For the regal I used a resonated single tip that resembled the GMPP exhaust tips for the Grand Prix.

Damn, I wish I saw these when I had my GP. That would have looked cool with the painted facias.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZCFVZR/?tag=tcg21-20

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
but a cone filter in the engine bay in any kind of realistic conditions were like 120°+ all day, every day. Even then, on a day in the 70's, if I stopped once from my 9 mile drive home, the IATs would sky to the 120's and stay there until I got home, if not higher.

Yep, I have a cone filter on the TB. Just looked at a scan from Byron. 120° while staging. It slowly dropped to 86°F by the end of the run. This was in September and I guessing it was in the low 70's, IIRC

With an IC and E85, it wasn't a big problem for me. It really depends on what you engine's constraint is. Mine wasn't heat management. It was airflow (stock TB and valvetrain). Most other cars would benefit from getting the cone out of the engine compartment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info