• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

School me on the GTX

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Reaction score
There is a 98 GTX for sale by my house that I am interested in. Its a 98 with 130k on the body, 40k on the motor and trans. Supposedly has a Stage 5 trans made for 500hp but he couldn't tell me who built it cause it was in there when he bought it. He is asking $5500 for it which I think is quite high.

I somewhat know the guy, went to high school with him, and he used to always try and race me in his rusty notch's. What I would like to know is how is a GTX different than a GTP and how rare are they? His big thing was how hard this car is to find...blah blah blah

3800 nutswingers please assemble and lay your knowledge upon me.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
gtx = different badges and hood...and i think different airbox...nothing that warrants more money than a normal gtp

ktraver97ss

Reaction score
I have already discovered that the only real difference in the ram air hood and badges. What a load of crap!

It didnt even have the gtx wheels.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that they had 3.5 S/C pulleys rather than the 3.8 which is on the GTP

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
The basic GTX package got you the badges on the doors and trunk lid, as well as the hood and "ram air" airbox...which is pretty much a modded stock airbox with a hole on top. That whole shebang was around $2k by itself :eek:

After that you could add the wheels, tuned PCM, 3.5 pulley, rockers, exhaust, spoiler, etc etc.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
Rockers never came on the GTP/GTX. They were only available for the GT/GTX.

Its pretty much just a pretty GTP. The SLP hood is probably the hottest hood for it, followed closely by the F1 hood.

Since he is talking stages, I would ASSume it is an older Dynotech trans. If so, it is solid. If not, I wouldnt trust it as far as I could throw it.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
With that trans, I wouldn't be surprised if it were heavily modded at one point, then demodded.

Wessel

The Paint Corrector
Reaction score
i think it would be funny for one of us 3800 guys to go check the car out and call his bluffs!

xringshooter7

Reaction score
A GTX could have also had one of the SLP exhausts, either the PowerFlo or the Loud Mouth exhaust, like another 1k on the price, I haven't seen one yet with the exhaust. Most also had 17" rims that were special to the GTX

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
sounds like its just a clone with badges slapped on and a hood and whatever else

stage 5????? trans... hmm

x2 on it sounds like it used to be heavily modded and then demodded

get the VIN and maybe someone can check it out if it was a real GTX, but without the rims, 5k is quite steep

Fish

Reaction score
There would be a sticker on the inside door area by the factory sticker IIRC if it went to SLP.

The SLP rims are hot and all, but they have issues with the chrome flaking.

AlmightyBirdman

*shrug*
Reaction score
Some of them have more options than other. From grandprix.net:

SLP's Grand Prix GTX (Production)

What do you get when you add ram air induction to an already power-ridden Grand Prix? SLP's GTX, that's what. The basic package includes ram air induction, special GTX badging to replace your standard badging, and custom GTX key fobs. Ram air adds approximately 10 horsepower to your Grand Prix, be it an SE, GT, or GTP. Other items available include a full stainless steel cat-back exhaust system, sunroof, synthetic fluids package, and more.
NOTE: This is not a limited edition because SLP will make as many as possible.
Special Features
Standard Features ($2499)

* Fully functional ram air hood and revised intake system (adds ten horsepower)
* Cloissonne GTX badging for the doors and trunk lid
* Custom GTX key fobs
* Full 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty coverage provided
* Federally crash tested and proven design

Optional Features

* Dual/Dual exhaust with four outlets (Adds five horsepower, $699)
* 17" x 7" Six-spoke chrome-plated aluminum wheels and Michelin P235/55/R17 Pilot series tires ($1,999)
* Custom front and rear floormats ($119)
* GTX ram air custom car cover ($159)
* Visor-mounted programmable garage door opener and Home Link Security system ($199)
* Webasto X-48 SS Spoiler type power sunroof with sunshade ($799)
* Synthetic lubricants package, engine oil and filter ($59)

ktraver97ss

Reaction score
hmmm, maybe Ill take it for a cruise later and see how she drives. He also said it has kyb's which im assuming are struts and shocks, no? And SLP control arms.

If it rides decent we may low ball him round $3800 and see what happens. It has been for sale for at least 6 months.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Kyb would be the strut manufacturer. They may be agx's that are adjustable (I assume)

Don't know about slp control arms..... Did they make trailing arms/rear control arms? I didn't think so

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
If they're red struts they are the KYB AGX adjustable ones. You can also tell by the adjusters at the top of the struts.

Fish

Reaction score
If he starts saying SLP intercooler or some shit, RUN RUN RUN!!!!

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Not worth 5K, that is for sure...

If it is mint and runs really well maybe 4...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom