School me on the GTX

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Im starting to consider getting this for myself over my employee if hes not willing to spend the $ right now. I only get 13-15mpg in my truck and I want to do the math on how much I can save on gas per month driving this. Am I safe to assume an average of 20-22 mpg driving a mix of hwy and city? Oh, and what size is the gas tank?

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Rockers never came on the GTP/GTX. They were only available for the GT/GTX.

Its pretty much just a pretty GTP. The SLP hood is probably the hottest hood for it, followed closely by the F1 hood.

As far as I know, the rest were "options", added by SLP for an extra cost. The rockers could be added, but only by the dealer once the car was bought...so, I think you are sort of right. SLP did NOT install them for you.

The 3.5 GTX press on pulley was one of those added charges, but most people opted NOT to pay for this....just like they didn't opt to pay $1,550 to have the (at the time) $700 to $800 headers installed. Some of the other things they offered (but normally didn't get ordered) was:

-"Big Brake" upgrade (basically an Impala bolt on)
-Lowering springs
-Front Strut Tower Brace
-Rear Strut Tower Brace <-- ULTRA RARE (I know, I have one)
-Fan Control Switch
-Temperature Control Module (Basically a $.02 resistor...which cost $25)
-Loud Mouth Exhaust (best bang for the buck and did get added to a few cars)
-Stainless Steel Trapezoidal Tips
-Depending on the year, you could get your choice of 2 spoilers.

The Generation 1 spoiler looks a lot like the SD spoiler. I like to call it the "Whale Tail" spoiler because it sticks up a lot.

The Generation 2, sort of resembles a stock spoiler which had a run in with Salvador Dali. It has two sort of fang looking things which follow the lines of the tail lights. These were famous for splitting near the point closest to the front tip and would cause water to leak INTO the spoiler itself...adding all kinds of weight. They also had a recessed area on top which would hold about 2 gallons of water after a good rain. It used to be called on some of the forums, "The Barbie Bathtub"...as some little girls were known for playing with their barbies on daddy's car.

I had a Gen. II and loved it...

for the first 4 months. Then it split open and it was a problem ever since. Every time I opened the trunk, some water would pour in (up to a half cup at a time). I sold it 2 years ago and am not regretting it...yet.

In 2003, there was a special option package from SLP only where you could order your GTX with a special interior and steering wheel. They offered a bronze burled wood finish and carbon fiber. The wood was more of an real fancy overlay and gave the GTX a real cool-almost Buick-look. The carbon fiber was actual CARBON FIBER and could included a carbon fiber engine cover.

I have only heard of one of these cars ever being made with the carbon fiber dash and shifter bezel, steering wheel AND the engine cover. It was a black GTX coupe with a black interior. As far as performance, I think it only had the hood, airbox and exhaust. If he didn't have the GTX chrome rims, I would have had more actual SLP parts on my car than he did (though his were real and mine were all aftermarket).

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ugh....why must people fucking argue about GTX shit with me?? :fu:

SLP nor GM ever gave the rockers as an option for the GTP. They got the pulley. Since GTs could get no pulley, they got the rockers.

The GTXs were 99% of the time ordered by dealers, and not customers. So SLP had all these parts, and never installed them in any of the cars. They ended up selling them on their site and ebay.

The only people that gave a real rats ass were the "authentic" GTX assholes that thought their 1 of 8000+ cars from SLP were rare, until they got the cold hard slap in the face that up until 2002, SLP made less then 1000 firehawks every year. Formula Firehawks after 98 were even more rare. :rofl:

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Ugh....why must people fucking argue about GTX shit with me?? :fu:

SLP nor GM ever gave the rockers as an option for the GTP. They got the pulley. Since GTs could get no pulley, they got the rockers.

The GTXs were 99% of the time ordered by dealers, and not customers. So SLP had all these parts, and never installed them in any of the cars. They ended up selling them on their site and ebay.

The only people that gave a real rats ass were the "authentic" GTX assholes that thought their 1 of 8000+ cars from SLP were rare, until they got the cold hard slap in the face that up until 2002, SLP made less then 1000 firehawks every year. Formula Firehawks after 98 were even more rare. :rofl:

Easy newb :rofl:

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Well, went to take it for a spin with Panda, thanks for coming along btw. I am very skeptical of it actually being a gtx. It has the hood, badges, and a sticker on the driver door, but the sticker seemed kinda generic like it could have come with any SLP product, not like the SLP sticker in my SS which shows exactly what options are on the car. Second, the guy seemed a little shady, and didn't know any details about specific parts. He had no maint records or any documentation at all. He told me on the phone it was some stage 5 trans, then when Panda asked something about it he said stage 3. Panda also thinks the s/c coupler is bad, but that it is an easy fix. Seemed to also have a control arm issue, we could hear some clunking. Hood was legit with gm sticker so it does not look to be aftermarket. The airbox was not the slp gtx box but some ghettofied custom box with a clear top and a jagged hole cut in it where the ram-air hood meets up with it. Panda said the struts looked stock I believe, not kyb or whatever he told me they were. Heat/AC blower motor was whining, serpentine belt or tensioner was fucked and whining. The MAP sensor was relocated to the firewall, and the plastic shroud in the front was missing, so it could have been intercooled at one time. All in all I was not confident in anything the guy said and I dont think its worth over $3k. It did, however shift smooth and pull pretty hard. He said it can do about 14psi, so maybe a 3.2 pulley?? :dunno:

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Hmmm...clunk could be a strut mount too. Also, the 98 year might not have the front radiator shroud like the 99+ years.

WTF is a Stage 3 trans?!? lol Did he mention if it had any upgraded hard parts? 4340 Input Shaft, output shaft, 7/8 chain drive, etc?

Also, 14psi non-intercooled makes me wonder what type of exhaust, does it have a custom tune? That's alot of boost with minimal supporting mods IMHO.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Well, went to take it for a spin with Panda, thanks for coming along btw. I am very skeptical of it actually being a gtx. It has the hood, badges, and a sticker on the driver door, but the sticker seemed kinda generic like it could have come with any SLP product, not like the SLP sticker in my SS which shows exactly what options are on the car. Second, the guy seemed a little shady, and didn't know any details about specific parts. He had no maint records or any documentation at all. He told me on the phone it was some stage 5 trans, then when Panda asked something about it he said stage 3. Panda also thinks the s/c coupler is bad, but that it is an easy fix. Seemed to also have a control arm issue, we could hear some clunking. Hood was legit with gm sticker so it does not look to be aftermarket. The airbox was not the slp gtx box but some ghettofied custom box with a clear top and a jagged hole cut in it where the ram-air hood meets up with it. Panda said the struts looked stock I believe, not kyb or whatever he told me they were. Heat/AC blower motor was whining, serpentine belt or tensioner was fucked and whining. The MAP sensor was relocated to the firewall, and the plastic shroud in the front was missing, so it could have been intercooled at one time. All in all I was not confident in anything the guy said and I dont think its worth over $3k. It did, however shift smooth and pull pretty hard. He said it can do about 14psi, so maybe a 3.2 pulley?? :dunno:

yea dont buy that, even for 2k, dont.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Hmmm...clunk could be a strut mount too. Also, the 98 year might not have the front radiator shroud like the 99+ years.

WTF is a Stage 3 trans?!? lol Did he mention if it had any upgraded hard parts? 4340 Input Shaft, output shaft, 7/8 chain drive, etc?

Also, 14psi non-intercooled makes me wonder what type of exhaust, does it have a custom tune? That's alot of boost with minimal supporting mods IMHO.

He knew no specifics on any of the aftermarket parts, he bought it as-is. Panda drove it and said stock converter and gearing, most likely a stock trans I would guess. Guy is so full of shit.

It did have 3" exhaust and supposedly a tune, but no headers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info