School me on the GTX

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
There is a 98 GTX for sale by my house that I am interested in. Its a 98 with 130k on the body, 40k on the motor and trans. Supposedly has a Stage 5 trans made for 500hp but he couldn't tell me who built it cause it was in there when he bought it. He is asking $5500 for it which I think is quite high.

I somewhat know the guy, went to high school with him, and he used to always try and race me in his rusty notch's. What I would like to know is how is a GTX different than a GTP and how rare are they? His big thing was how hard this car is to find...blah blah blah

3800 nutswingers please assemble and lay your knowledge upon me.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
The basic GTX package got you the badges on the doors and trunk lid, as well as the hood and "ram air" airbox...which is pretty much a modded stock airbox with a hole on top. That whole shebang was around $2k by itself :eek:

After that you could add the wheels, tuned PCM, 3.5 pulley, rockers, exhaust, spoiler, etc etc.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Rockers never came on the GTP/GTX. They were only available for the GT/GTX.

Its pretty much just a pretty GTP. The SLP hood is probably the hottest hood for it, followed closely by the F1 hood.

Since he is talking stages, I would ASSume it is an older Dynotech trans. If so, it is solid. If not, I wouldnt trust it as far as I could throw it.

Some of them have more options than other. From grandprix.net:

SLP's Grand Prix GTX (Production)

What do you get when you add ram air induction to an already power-ridden Grand Prix? SLP's GTX, that's what. The basic package includes ram air induction, special GTX badging to replace your standard badging, and custom GTX key fobs. Ram air adds approximately 10 horsepower to your Grand Prix, be it an SE, GT, or GTP. Other items available include a full stainless steel cat-back exhaust system, sunroof, synthetic fluids package, and more.
NOTE: This is not a limited edition because SLP will make as many as possible.
Special Features
Standard Features ($2499)

* Fully functional ram air hood and revised intake system (adds ten horsepower)
* Cloissonne GTX badging for the doors and trunk lid
* Custom GTX key fobs
* Full 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty coverage provided
* Federally crash tested and proven design

Optional Features

* Dual/Dual exhaust with four outlets (Adds five horsepower, $699)
* 17" x 7" Six-spoke chrome-plated aluminum wheels and Michelin P235/55/R17 Pilot series tires ($1,999)
* Custom front and rear floormats ($119)
* GTX ram air custom car cover ($159)
* Visor-mounted programmable garage door opener and Home Link Security system ($199)
* Webasto X-48 SS Spoiler type power sunroof with sunshade ($799)
* Synthetic lubricants package, engine oil and filter ($59)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info