RIP Windows 7 - January 14th 2020

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Ran the Windows 10 update this morning on my desktop. Doing a clean install fuck upgrades. Hopefully my shit activates or else im stuck buying a key it seems.

No idea where my Windows 7 license came from. :cool:
From what I remember it only activates if your current Windows 7 installation is active. Thats why you have to run it as an "upgrade" and not a clean install.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
However, after your computer is upgraded and activated you can do the clean wipe because MS stores a fingerprint of the hardware.

Thats how my current gaming PC is active. Because I installed Windows 7 on it and upgraded to Windows 10, then after activation with MS, I nuked the disks and clean installed. It activates via digital license now.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
However, after your computer is upgraded and activated you can do the clean wipe because MS stores a fingerprint of the hardware.

Thats how my current gaming PC is active. Because I installed Windows 7 on it and upgraded to Windows 10, then after activation with MS, I nuked the disks and clean installed. It activates via digital license now.
Same.

The lovely free windows 10 pro workaround is to download a cracked & activated windows 7 ultimate. Then do the free windows 10 upgrade... You'll end with an activated windows 10 pro for free.

Reactions: PANDA and DanJ

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
From what I remember it only activates if your current Windows 7 installation is active. Thats why you have to run it as an "upgrade" and not a clean install.

Mine worked fine with no issues. I ran the "upgrade" but selected fresh install during setup.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This is what happens when I insert an image :rofl:

1579207545666.png

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I did what the link in this thread said. I didnt log in to anything.
i mean, when it rebooted and windows 10 came up. did you setup an account using your microsoft/xbox login? or just the usual same login you used for 7?

the reasoning is, if you used a microsoft account (or add one now and login) it will link your windows and office keys to that account. so its easier to reinstall and not have to worry about keys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info