🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I am sure it depends on use as well. I don't know how long it has been since mine was cleaned. But I also took a couple of trips out west last fall when leaves were everywhere. So I guess we will see what happens when I clean them come winter.

Also, just a FYI, the radiator from Porsche was an AKG unit. AKG stamped right in the tank. So if Hella did make them originally for the 997 the supplier of them for Porsche now is AKG.

Ah, ok. Makes sense that they would be very similar to mine. I bet you can find AKG units for around $300 too.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Talk about a huge un-boxing disappointment. $1200 and there is nothing shiny, nothing of significant weight, no fancy packaging, nothing. Such a disappointment. They could at least include a t-shirt that says I spent big money and all I got was a pound of plastic and this t-shirt. :rofl:

20190402_134502.jpeg

20190402_134521.jpeg

But I know this little unit and 5 minutes of installing it transforms the suspension from a passive to an active suspension. As well as gives the shocks a larger window of adjustment in both Sport and standard modes. Should ride much nicer as well as help stiffen the shocks as it sees acceleration, braking, and lateral movement. I'm excited to test it out.

The car will also have new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires on it in a day or two. The car should ride and handle much better than the Extreme Contacts that are on it. That will complete the first round os suspension mods. Round two will come in a month or two. :D

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
How are they on the Porsches? Ive heard there has been issues on the 350's.

Whered you get your tires? Ive been browsing seein as ill need a set before Aug and have been eyeballing the Conti Extreme Contact Sports. Ive heard they dont give up much to the Michelins and theyre like 300 less

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Whered you get your tires? Ive been browsing seein as ill need a set before Aug and have been eyeballing the Conti Extreme Contact Sports. Ive heard they dont give up much to the Michelins and theyre like 300 less

Curious about this too as I am about the pull the trigger on the ExtremeContact Sports. From what I've read they are equal to the Pilot Super Sports, but slot below the P4S. Is the P4S 30% grippier to offset the cost difference, I doubt it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
How are they on the Porsches? Ive heard there has been issues on the 350's.

They have huge support from the Porsche community. Like 99% of them say this is the best suspension modification to these cars. They logarithm seems to be set up very well for them. No reliability issues either. I think they have 911 race cars and street cars. Which means they tweak them a lot. They owner and some of the engineers are on the forums as well. So they are happy to help customers. They will also tweak the software when you are at the same track days as them. So customer support seems to be there as well.

My buddy Eric has their Tractive DDA coil overs & shocks. He has a pretty heavy spring rate. But because of the DSC controller uses like 90% of the available shock tune range, versus like 60% in some factory modes, so you can get away with a heavier spring but still have a comfortable ride. But then have lots of spring rate and shock stiffness when needed. We did a rally in his car and it was very comfortable. I'd say nicer than my car.

What issues do the Shelby guys have?

I get my tires through Suburban Tire in Glendale heights. They basically match the cheapest price I can find on the tires. Then charge me that price. But it includes mounting and "road force" balancing. So isn't a bad deal. As that is usually $125-$160 depending on the tire size.

Not messing around , that controller is very nice . I think you have more hours of modding the car then driving it LOL

I have done some work for sure. haha But other than the engine out service and winter, I have been driving it a lot. I have used it quite a lot this year already. Out of storage early, passed emissions, and just enjoying it. Be it to work, the store, and so on.

But yes, many mods since I have had it. I mean I have only been dreaming of buying on and modding it for many many years. lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The DSC controller has caught my eye too as it will work with the RS and do the same.

But they also offer a full kit the includes a full mag ride setup using their own shock design.

The Tractive coil over & shock set up in my buddies car is impressive when matched with the DSC controller.

You guys have to remember that my car is 12 years old. These newer car have active suspensions from the factory. Mine is a passive suspension. So this controller makes the suspension control leaps and bounds better than it is from the factory in my application.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The few guys I go with still have their cars down. So we will miss the May 6th day. But we are doing Road America and the Autobahn this year. Hopefully Blackhawk a time or two as well. I bought the car with the intention of going to the track with it. That is why I went this route versus a Hellcat or something drag oriented.

After the Tail of the Dragon trips and the Autobahn, I am ruined. I am all about that twisty life. haha I just wished I lived in an area that had curvy roads. :tear: And because we live in the land of straight roads, I like that I can still pull on them supercharged coyotes and vettes running around here. :D

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The few guys I go with still have their cars down. So we will miss the May 6th day. But we are doing Road America and the Autobahn this year. Hopefully Blackhawk a time or two as well. I bought the car with the intention of going to the track with it. That is why I went this route versus a Hellcat or something drag oriented.

After the Tail of the Dragon trips and the Autobahn, I am ruined. I am all about that twisty life. haha I just wished I lived in an area that had curvy roads. :tear: And because we live in the land of straight roads, I like that I can still pull on them supercharged coyotes and vettes running around here. :D

Zomg...when are you going to road america? That's my favorite track..it's going to be a blast in the porsche.

I recommend putnam too...2nd favorite track. It's not too far for you, maybe 3 hours

One day i'll have a zl1 to take to the track....

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

So I finally got to take a lunch break and watched the video. So this dude installed it, said it seemed like the shocks were not doing much dampening, didn't even hook up the laptop to check the firmware of tune file, and drove it for days. Couldn't even be bothered to hook up the laptop? Typical GT350 owner. :s00ls:

There are a ton of comments saying he needed to update the firmware and file. Including DSC Sport themselves.

DSC Sport said:
Thank you for your review and feedback Auto Fanatic! It seems you may have an older version of firmware and calibration file on that DSC Sport controller which we have updates for both! The latest firmware is up on the website but please contact us at your earliest convenience and we will hook you up with the fixes!!!

It does not seem like the dude posted any follow up comments. I didn't have time to look through all his videos at lunch. I doubt he did a follow up video. Since most of his videos are about parts and detailing videos. Dat advertising money.

My guess the DSC is probably just as good in the GT350 than any other car. But I have not researched it at all. So maybe you can send more links or show posts where guys share issues?

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
I met a local guy at drag strip that tracks his 911 turbo S pretty often.he runs GT3 wheel / tire setup Him and his friends do private rentals at Grattan Raceway .I'm planning to go there this year .I think that will be around 3 hour drive for you .

Attachments

• 20160715_210142.jpg
    20160715_210142.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 70

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Roads in midwest suck . I went to visit my friend in TN last weekend [ Knoxville area]. Damn ... those roads are a dream to have a fun car that can turn

The roads are not filled with potholes. Just smoooooth roads usually. Then the twists, turns, elevation changes, and scenery are incredible. I'd love to move down there for the roads and scenery alone. lol

I met a local guy at drag strip that tracks his 911 turbo S pretty often.he runs GT3 wheel / tire setup Him and his friends do private rentals at Grattan Raceway .I'm planning to go there this year .I think that will be around 3 hour drive for you .

The 991 Turbo S is just an all-around badass car. So capable. I have never heard of Gratten Raceway. I'll have to check that out. I'm not afraid to travel. lol

Thread Info