🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Thanks guys.

Those old seats look narrow as fuck up top, made for skinny German engineer, not a robust red blooded ‘Merican!

haha no doubt. Even skinny people complain about the seat backs on the comfort seats. They really do sit between your shoulder blades and dig in when you steer and shift. Not painful but uncomfortable and awkward more than anything.

Yeah the old seat looks super underwhelming for such an expensive car, nice upgrade.

The narrow back seats are comfortable for the most part. I am sure they are attempting to keep the look of the classic late 1960/1970's highback seat styling. The new 991.2 & 992 still offer a similar style seat. Along with other racier styles. Including a $10k optional carbon fiber seat. :eek:

The current seat offering.

porsche-zoom.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So far I only have two track days I'm signed up for. Then 4-5 AutoX days I plan to go to.

Drag racing, we'll see what happens. I'm not sure about that yet. haha But I'm sure it will happen at some point.

But I have been driving the car a lot. This weekend's rain didn't even deter me from driving it. Which was cool as the Iron Gate Condo monthly Cars & Coffee was pretty full for having misting rain and drizzle.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So the shifter in the lowest setting was nice and short but not as smooth as I wanted. So I picked up a couple of weighted shift knobs. The first two were around 450-485 grams. Pretty heavy. Stainless inserts and Delrin covers. So no issues in the summer with the shift know being scalding hot.

Both smoothed out the shifting. But I'm not too fond of the look. And the shape of the first one didn't work well with side shifting or top palm shifting. The second one was at least better to top palm shift. But still felt awkward. But with so much weight the shifts were silky smooth.

The third knob I bought looks a lot like the factory knob. It only weighs 285 grams. So lighter than the other ones but more than the stock knob at 70 grams. This one feels the nicest in my hand. The ergonomics are much better than the earlier two. I can side shift, top palm shift, or side palm with my thumb up top. Due to it being less mass than the earlier two and the mass being mainly in the base (less top heavy) it isn't as smooth. But it is taller giving me more leverage and ends up still being way better than stock. I'll probably keep this one for a while and swap back to one of the first ones to see what I prefer more. All in all an upgrade over stock. Heck, the stock one creaked as I rowed the gears. A plastic knob in this caliber of car is kind of disappointing. But easy fix at least.

20190516_202521.jpeg

20190516_203639.jpeg

circuit-sphere-100-construction.jpeg

20190528_210505.jpeg

20190528_211304.jpeg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The last update is I finally used the Dragy and got some performance numbers. Haha I was driving on a private & closed airport runway and thought that I had that Dragy in the glove box and I should try it. Mainly to see if the cell phone mount I have will work. The mount seems to work fine even though the Dragy isn't sitting level or square in the car.

Anyways, for keeping track on future tests...

2.87 seconds for 60-100 mph
6.39 seconds for 60-130 mph

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
So the shifter in the lowest setting was nice and short but not as smooth as I wanted. So I picked up a couple of weighted shift knobs. The first two were around 450-485 grams. Pretty heavy. Stainless inserts and Delrin covers. So no issues in the summer with the shift know being scalding hot.

Both smoothed out the shifting. But I'm not too fond of the look. And the shape of the first one didn't work well with side shifting or top palm shifting. The second one was at least better to top palm shift. But still felt awkward. But with so much weight the shifts were silky smooth.

The third knob I bought looks a lot like the factory knob. It only weighs 285 grams. So lighter than the other ones but more than the stock knob at 70 grams. This one feels the nicest in my hand. I can side shift, top palm shift, or side palm with my thumb up top. Due to it being less mass than the earlier two and the mass being mainly in the base (less top heavy) it isn't as smooth. But it is taller giving me more leverage and ends up still being way better than stock. I'll probably keep this one for a while and swap back to one of the first ones to see what I prefer more. All in all an upgrade over stock. Heck, the stock one creaked as I rowed the gears. A plastic knob in this caliber of car is kind of disappointing. But easy fix at least.

View attachment 40596

View attachment 40597

View attachment 40598

View attachment 40599

View attachment 40600

Looks great, never even knew they had weighted shift knobs! This is something I’ll definitely have to look into with my car.

Still need to see this car by the way! Let’s get together soon

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Weighted knobs make a difference for sure. I had never used one as heavy as the 485 gram one. It didn't seem to take much effort to move it. But it carried momentum well so it helps with getting into the next gear. #FYscience

This weather has been shit. Let's hope it finally turns nice and people car enjoy getting out and together.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I've been in your area for car events 3 times this year. I have yet to see your car out. I'm just say'n lol
The one night I was able to make it out, you pussed out as soon as you heard Tommy was coming with his shank! haha
And I am ready. You let me know when you feel froggy and we will make it happen. From a slow roll or a dig. :D

Slow roll is fine with me! lol I'd even be down for a dig if we can go to isolated spot and I can heat tires up a bit.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Nice try, rain canceled the fun. Not me. And again, I have been up by you three times. No Jeffie or supafast whipple Moostang to be found.

Done deal. Dig and slow roll.

Not that night. The Friday night when it was nice out. Your 75lb furnace was supposedly blocking your garage???

You have not tried to get ahold of me once when you have been in my hood!!!

Thread Info