Polar Vortex Vs Diesel Trucks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
The most important thing to do if you can't monitor fuel psi is if you notice ANY lack of power or rough idle, pull over, keep it running and toss some 911 in the tank. Never pre treat with 911, it's called 911 for a reason.

When you start waxing/gelling you'll notice deceased power. It's starving for fuel at this point do to filters getting plugged. You need to decrease flow of fuel (by idling) and pull over to stop the wind chill. Adding 911 whole its still running is your only hope

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
A few of my drivers swear by this stuff: Beyond that I'll be plugging in as many as I can tonight and moving as many in doors as possible. I'm responsible for 10 of a fleet of 250, I plan on all 10 running tomorrow. Problem with the new ones is they won't idle more than 10 minutes, so you can't leave them running.

2999_howes_diesel_conditioner_anti_gel_6-64oz__95864.1471461052.1280.1280.jpg

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
The diesel you buy at the pumps is Diesel #2. Actually around here is it mostly Diesel #2 with 11% biodiesel.

Cloud Point of Diesel #2 is anywhere between +15°F and -5°F. The biodiesel doesn't help. Pure soy Biodiesel has a cloud point of +32°F. In colder climates, like Minnesota, they also sell Diesel #1, which has a cloud point of -40°F.

Additives can lower operability by 15°F or more below the cloud point. Most fuel in this area already has additive. More additive will help some, but only to a point.

Diesel #1 and Kerosene are essentially the same thing. Blending in Kerosene will definitely help with keeping a truck running tomorrow. 10-30% what is typically used.

The more fuel in your tank, the warmer it will stay, but once it gets cold, the more fuel, the more wax settling to the bottom of the tank.

People will tell what worked for them in the past, but keep in mind, this is record cold and it will be cold tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night. That's a long stretch. I think this might be beyond what additives can do.

I'm parking my truck, but if I had to drive, I'd get 5 gallons of kerosene and dump it in.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
PS - just because your truck starts doesn't mean you are OK. It takes a while for the wax to plug the fuel filter. Four years ago, it hit -27°F overnight. I warmed up my truck for a ½ hour, started off to work and made it 100 yards before it started running like crap. Limped home and drove my car instead.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Good luck guys. My dad told me he used to hang a 100watt bulb in a drop light next to the filters overnight. I've used that trick before next to my battery in the Lumina years ago. Right now I have a trickle charger on the Cruze just in case. And work car I give no fucks really. If it doesnt start then I work from home.....darn...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
PS - just because your truck starts doesn't mean you are OK. It takes a while for the wax to plug the fuel filter. Four years ago, it hit -27°F overnight. I warmed up my truck for a ½ hour, started off to work and made it 100 yards before it started running like crap. Limped home and drove my car instead.

Yup. That's why I said most trucks gel on the highway. Plug it in, let high idle 25 mins, take off and get the fuel really sloshing around and boom.

Did I mention

giphy.gif

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
:rofl: the gasser bros are gonna have a field day with this thread.

Good luck guys. My dad told me he used to hang a 100watt bulb in a drop light next to the filters overnight. I've used that trick before next to my battery in the Lumina years ago. Right now I have a trickle charger on the Cruze just in case. And work car I give no fucks really. If it doesnt start then I work from home.....darn...

giphy.gif

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Would be funny if the old shit bricks run tomorrow but the truck doesn't.

But then again they know a little about cold in Sweden I guess.

I think the truck has done a -10F run already this year pre-additive. Low Wednesday night is supposed to be -26F here, eager to see how it plays out. -22F tonight so I guess we'll know sooner rather than later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info