Polar Vortex Vs Diesel Trucks

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
Reaction score
Figured I would refer to the TCG experts..... besides plugging in the Cummins is there anything one can do to prevent diesel gelling up? Or is this something that doesn’t happen anymore. [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]DEEZUZ[/MENTION]

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Fuel additive but I don't think it does shit. I do keep a bottle of 911 in my truck and a spare set of fuel filters WITH the tools to change them.

You could start it during the night and let it run for a bit.

OP
MrMezger996

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
Reaction score
Fuel additive but I don't think it does shit. I do keep a bottle of 911 in my truck and a spare set of fuel filters WITH the tools to change them.

You could start it during the night and let it run for a bit.
So diesel gelling is still a thing with Biodiesel?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Yes. How old is your current fuel filter?

EmersonHart13

John
Donating Member
Reaction score
Where is CTC Deeznuts at? (changed his name to be a pain in my ass) He knows all.

Which I think he says to use Statatdyne or something

lastls1

Reaction score
Additives will be key. We see it all the time with the semis. Grabs fuel in Houston, drives to Iowa and parks. Next morning it’s towed to the dealer all gummed up because the driver never added anything to the tanks or made preparations.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I don’t know much on the subject but several years ago when it was -15 or whatever I was talking to some of the truck drivers at work and they said they would throw some kerosene in the tank, this was probably on older trucks I didn’t pay attention to what they were driving

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Additives will be key. We see it all the time with the semis. Grabs fuel in Houston, drives to Iowa and parks. Next morning it’s towed to the dealer all gummed up because the driver never added anything to the tanks or made preparations.
Thats kind of a different situation. Summer blend fuel was in Houston while Iowa was using winter blend. Around here it will all be winter blend fuel.

lastls1

Reaction score
It’s not going to matter when it’s this cold. If you don’t use any additives and your truck is sitting outside all night it’s not going to start in the morning.

lastls1

Reaction score
Honestly the best thing to do in this situation is to keep the truck running. Which I know is not really a great option

ragingclue

Donating Member
Reaction score
I think that's the stuff the GM parts counter guy gave me....

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
I used stanadyne when the wife had a TDI, per DEEZUZ recommendation

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Plugging in doesn't do anything for fuel.

Fuel Additive, blanket wraps on exposed filters(like if you have a fass).

Fuel Additive is the number 1 thing when it's cold. Can't believe someone doesn't believe in it...

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Top off whenever you can. Don't sit with less than 3/4 of a tank. That's when condensation forms in the space in the tank and then water drops into fuel helping the crystallization which is what starts to cloud your truck cause the waxes start to glob and clog shit up and yea

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have old guys still mixing kero in their tanks, but that's a science. Fuck that

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
What we've sold for 40 years is stanadyne formula. You can run 2 of their products currently. The blue bottle which is performance formula, I think it drops freeze point about 15 points and then also use the green bottle the winter 1000, that's good for like another 20 points.

So factor in the fuel at the pump is good to about 10*. Not with both stanadyne you're good til like -25. It's all relative to your base fuel from your station though.

You can get stanadyne now at autozone. Unfortunately.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wind chill does have a great affect on trucks. Most trucks gel on the highway FYI

OP
MrMezger996

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
Reaction score
Wind chill does have a great affect on trucks. Most trucks gel on the highway FYI
Yea I know windchill won’t effect it more then actual air temp, but thanks for the good info, filled her up, some anti-additive and plug her in. Fingers crossed in the morning.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Current stock in truck

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
OP you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom