Polar Vortex Vs Diesel Trucks

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
On a couple of our newer trucks with the California clean idle BS, I set the idle at 1,000-1,500 with the cruise control. And it’ll run all day.

Even our older trucks I will still set the idle with the cruise just to keep the engine temp up.

But these are all Peterbuilts, Kenworth and a Freightliner. Not pick ups.

But the one F550 with the clean idle BS, I/we wedge a wood lathe on the gas pedal and seat to keep the idle up at about 1,000 and heat on all day. I like my shit warm. Never been an issue.

Yeah it all depends on the year. The older emissions equipped trucks (2011-2012) will idle all day long. Then the slightly newer ones will idle if you set the idle to 1100 rpm or so using the speed control. But the newest ones will not run unless someone is in the truck to tap the gas pedal every ten minutes.

A

Anonymous

you can go to home depot.they sale heater wire that wraps around water pipes and plugs into 110 v.wrap that around the fuel filter and fuel lines to keep from freezing.plumbers use that all the times to keep outside water and gas lines from freezing

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
If anyone is worried. You can always buy one or two of these.

We have a few at our shop. We use them on top of using block heaters on some of our stubborn diesel motors on a few of our drill rigs.

7b152c4a7c9135fa5cfbbe70d4a08138.jpg

Three of our John Deere powered drill rigs have these coolant heaters powered by the battery and diesel fuel.

c245fd6027314c73b85f174fad6b9e9e.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
It won’t fire as in your 6.0 or my Cummins???

My 6.0

[MENTION=7923]DEEZUZ[/MENTION] does cycling the glow plugs multiple times help? I didn't plug mine in this morning and it cranked/barely popped over for 30seconds so then I stopped cranking and cycled the key 3 times in a row and it fired up. Seemed like it helped.:dunno:

On yer CUMMINGS?

Yea.... Dey don't haz glow plugs.... They have intake grid heaters. The heater stays on long after the light goes out. Like for minutes. So just cycling does nothing. Just keep key forward and don't crank for like 35 seconds

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Dang, the Colorado started and ran like it was a normal day. No hint of drama or anything.

Volvo started too even though it had to crank a bunch due to a really low tank of gas.

Non climate controlled garage/machine shed too. It was -21. But I guess there are guys in Eskimo country with these trucks that say they never really have problems either as long as they use additive and block heaters in the extreme cold. Do they have a different blend of diesel up there generally? Or do they get a different blend containing #1 or something?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info